Twitter Now Ranks Conversations Based On Who Replies

HardOCP News

[H] News
I want to ask all you Twitter users out there, is this something you guys really want? What was wrong with messages being in chronological order? It sure just seems like Twitter spends all its time and resources working on stupid stuff while ignoring the real stuff that matters. Bah! What do I know?

Threaded conversations are some of the best interactions you can have on Twitter -- with dozens of users chattering away 140 characters at a time. Unless you're already in a conversation, however, it can be hard to tell if a tweet is getting a lot of social interaction. Now, it's a little easier: Twitter has added a reply counter and a 'conversation ranking' to its mobile apps designed to push the most relevant discussions to the top of a tweet thread.

You know why Facebook uses an algorithm to display content and not chronological order? People refresh/return to the page more often to see more content, thus, see more ads.
Twitter is looking how to monetize the platform as much as possible.

We are not all equal. The presidents messages are more important than the mayors.

Ads are god.

We are not all equal. The presidents messages are more important than the mayors.

Ads are god.

Don't forget Hollywood. How will the general public know what to think if we can't see the opinions facts of people like Matt Damon ,Sean Penn, and the other wise liberal celebrity elite?

Don't forget Hollywood. How will the general public know what to think if we can't see the opinions facts of people like Matt Damon ,Sean Penn, and the other wise liberal celebrity elite?

Or Clint Eastwood, Phil Robertson, Stacey Dash, Chuck Norris, Jessica Simpson, Adam Sandler, Cindy Crawford, Bruce Willis, Jerry Bruckheimer, Sylvester Stallone, Ben Stein, Stephen Baldwin, Drew Carey, Tom Selleck...

You know why Facebook uses an algorithm to display content and not chronological order? People refresh/return to the page more often to see more content, thus, see more ads.
Twitter is looking how to monetize the platform as much as possible.

Interesting point, wouldn't have thought about it that way. But, I don't like it. Seems like a very short sighted plan. For facebook, sure that may work because there is a lot more depth to the site. Twitter, not so much.

Close to real time messages / news is what had me hooked. Initially, I refused to try twitter. Tried it then loved it. Now, I'm not sure what the hell they did with their algo but it has gotten pretty terrible. I don't want to see shit from 6 hours ago and I don't want you to hide shit from me that just happened 5 minutes ago. And if I want to see it all, let me see it all. Is it really that difficult?

Back