Twitter Hires Apple Exec To Be Its New Diversity Chief

HardOCP News

[H] News
Out with the old, in with the new. I kind of wonder if Twitter dumped Van Huysse or if she really is just leaving for greener pastures?

Siminoff tweeted Monday he's "super excited" to be joining Twitter sometime next month. He was Apple's director of worldwide inclusion and diversity for more than two years, according to his LinkedIn profile. Siminoff also led global diversity and inclusion efforts at Morgan Stanley for three years. He's also a founding member of Out Leadership, a global LGBT leadership organization.

Apple and diversity in the same sentence seems like quite a contradiction?

Apple and diversity in the same sentence seems like quite a contradiction?

That pretty much goes for Tech an diversity. The world of tech is largely white, East Asian and Indian (not necessarily in that order) and regardless of where they're from, it's mostly men.

What an easy job... just hire blacks and gays and not straight white people. Gotta love legal racism.

What an easy job... just hire blacks and gays and not straight white people. Gotta love legal racism.

I'm surprised they didn't hire a gender fluid person who sexually identifies as an attack helicopter to fill this job.

I really dislike these fluff worthless positions that waste perfectly good salary allocations that could be used on somebody that produces something of value.

right so they will give a job to someone who might not be "as" qualified... or as talented because they hel fill a quota for race or gender?

Isn't that called reverse racism? How about you give the job to the person best suited to doing it? I personally don't care what color or gender they are... or if they are a purple gay blob that happens to be *fabulous* at coding.

What's funny is if I call out attention to this - as a white male I'm automatically called a racist or sexist. Expecting there to be exactly 50% women, or a full gamut of colors anywhere in any profession is very unrealistic. When I worked in the oil fields it was 99% men... how is that a problem?

The fact that this new "diversity chief" is probably getting several hundred thousand (perhaps millions) of dollars per year to hire people they otherwise wouldn't.... just tells you how fucked up the corporate world can be.

And this shit happens everywhere... I do IT for a nationwide very very well known pharmacy and drug retailer... and they are onboard with this sort of thinking. We had one woman who checked ALL the boxes for diversity... she was a young black woman, with what passes for an education. She was VERY large, and also very stereotypical. i.e. very loud, and very into jesus. She was also dumb as a brick and fucked up every project she touched. She never got fired, and always "got away with it". Why? Because she was a black woman who helped fill that quota. This was a woman who didn't know how to load paper in a printer, and she was making double what I make to do nothing.

So much for equality huh?

A lot of people seem to misunderstand what that job actually is. It's a PR position. It's not about actually addressing any real or perceived race or gender issue. It's about appearing that they are doing something about it. This does mean a few token hires, but mostly it is about spinning the numbers while pushing the blame onto our universities for not getting more blacks and females into stem educations.

That it is even a thing is ridiculous, but what is a company to do?

Don't worry guys. Everyone knows that white males are the bestest in the world. You guys are so awesome.

I'm a white male living in the US and not ashamed to say it...you minority's can't keep us down!

Isn't that called reverse racism?

What's funny is if I call out attention to this - as a white male I'm automatically called a racist or sexist. Expecting there to be exactly 50% women, or a full gamut of colors anywhere in any profession is very unrealistic. When I worked in the oil fields it was 99% men... how is that a problem?

It's just regular racism. But since it's against whites or straight people no one cares.

And your second point is a fact that people cant get their heads around. I dont see them trying to diversify the nba with so many blacks, or ballet with so many women, etc etc.

Or psychology with women, or 7/11's or tech support with Indians. I could really just keep going.

This diversity crap is pure SJW bullshit. There was a slew of articles about a month ago regarding diversity in hollywood one showed a chart breaking down casting...whites 70%, black 14%, asian 6%, etc. First thing I did was search for the ethnic demographics of the USA...oh pretty much the same in fact whites have a few percentage less representation compared to other races versus percentage of the population.

What I think is funny is even when they are in the majority, they still like to call themselves "minorities".

Seems decades ago people forgot it's not supposed to be us vs them or a numbers game. Truth be told when someone mentions "black rights" or "hispanic rights" I automatically tune them out. Why? Talk to me about HUMAN rights. I care very little about the color of your skin, but I care a lot about what sort of person you are.

If you are a loudmouth piece of shit who wants everyone else to pay your way, fuck off. Don't care what color you are.

Personally - I think white people are less caught up on the race thing than most black people. The fact we can have blackpeoplemeet.com or #blacklives matter... but if I were to make the same exact setup for whitepeoplemeet.com or whitelives matter -- I'm automatically a racist.

Fuck that guilt they've been pushing. As a business owner seeking to maximize profit and talent... you bet your ass I'd only want to hire the best. I'd happily hire the purple transgender genius coder if they were excellent at what they do. Someone crying "racist" or "sexist" because they don't meet the standards set or expected performance... tells you everything you need to know about how much of a piece of shit they are. Sadly that's what each generation is learning as we go along... if you don't get your way, just bitch and moan really loud till you get what you want at the expense of everyone else who worked for it.

While I don't think people should be unfairly "helped" into a position just because of their genetics, I also think people shouldn't suffer for the same reason. The stuff that motivated all the things people perceive as reverse discrimination against white guys happened because there had to be some kind of legally enforceable mandate to prevent people with different skin colors or those who aren't brandishing a sausage sword from being denied the same chance.

But besides the sausage sword thing, it's also important to point out that white guys were the ones who made that world and white guys are the ones mostly responsible for changing it as they were and still are the ones that have reserved the majority of the power to lead and mandate for themselves. If anyone is to blame for white guys not having the same chance at something nowadays, it's those very same people. So stop whining about the injustice and blame yourselves for the world you live in, duh.

As for getting unfair advantages, of course people are gonna take those advantages if they exist (they really don't though because any individual who has half a brain can weasel their way around stuff and still be a discriminatory jerk-face if they wanna...I've seen it myself). And anyway, those kinds of discriminatory thoughts still pervade society. People still say stuff like, "Make me a sammich," or loudly declare that all criminals are black thugs or hop onto their favorite forum and complain about Asians. I personally think it'll always happen because people are wired to freak out when they see something different and those people who are less intelligent or are of lower social class will always make babies that they push their silly ideas onto by encouraging country music, watching cars drive really fast around in a circle hundreds of times, or buy satellite TV service and disgusting beer when they can't afford to pay their regular bills.

That pretty much goes for Tech an diversity. The world of tech is largely white, East Asian and Indian (not necessarily in that order) and regardless of where they're from, it's mostly men.

That's generally true. Although I've seen a lot more women in this field in the last 10 years or so. At IBM I'd say 1/3 or more of the people I worked with were female. All of them network, SAN or Windows / AD administrators. It wasn't like they were fetching coffee or doing grunt work.

diversity sounds awesome.

they should forcibly make every NBA team have 2 mentally handicapped southeast asian players. diversity.

and why cant tards play non-tards in movies? discrimination.

and why dont we have an "ugly" and "pretty" woman quota? we all know society treats the two groups differently, plus theyre different, so... diversity

As mentioned above, show the politicians ramming this crap down our throats that said company is "working" on diversity in the work place.

CreepyUncle - Please leave, no one likes brainwashed millennials.

CreepyUncle - Please leave, no one likes brainwashed millennials.

I'm thinking you're resorting to insults because I'm totally right and you have like no ability to come up with a good, meaningful argument otherwise so the next best thing to do when you feel like your worldview is being threatened is to lash out by assigning some kind of imaginary categorical classification to someone to leverage what boils down to a little boy pointing and screaming, "Oh yeah? Well you're a poopyhead!" before running away.

right so they will give a job to someone who might not be "as" qualified... or as talented because they hel fill a quota for race or gender?

Isn't that called reverse racism?

Nope, its just called racism. Libtards just created this phrase to imply that racism cant be used in the context of white people.

I'm thinking you're resorting to insults because I'm totally right and you have like no ability to come up with a good, meaningful argument otherwise so the next best thing to do when you feel like your worldview is being threatened is to lash out by assigning some kind of imaginary categorical classification to someone to leverage what boils down to a little boy pointing and screaming, "Oh yeah? Well you're a poopyhead!" before running away.

I couldn't get past the "reverse discrimination" part of your post. There is no such thing. Discrimination is discrimination, plain and simple. Discrimination can be harbored toward any group by any other group. The color of the discriminating group is immaterial.

I couldn't get past the "reverse discrimination" part of your post. There is no such thing. Discrimination is discrimination, plain and simple. Discrimination can be harbored toward any group by any other group. The color of the discriminating group is immaterial.

I just used that term to make it less verbally cumbersome to understand who was discriminating against who. It's just conversational word choice that saves me the trouble of having to type more stuff to explain the situation in an otherwise short post. Like, it's the awesomeness of brevity. :D Anyhow, I agree it doesn't need to be called reverse discrimination or given a special subcategory all by itself.

Back