Twitter Dissolves Commerce Team, Ceases Development Of “Buy” Buttons

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many of you actually used a "buy" button on Twitter? No one? That's probably why they are canning they idea and going back to what actually works.

For the past year or so companies have been working to streamline the buying process by cutting out the need to toggle between several pages to purchase a product. There’s one social network that’s decided dipping its toes into the world of e-commerce apparently isn’t worth it anymore: Twitter has shifted its focus away from the concept of a “buy” button. Twitter has dissolved its 25-person commerce team and ceased development of its “Buy” button.

All these pushes for more convenience are going to fall flat. We already have too many conveniences. If I'm going to buy something, I'd rather take the time to go to the actual merchant site to make the purchase. And is using my phone to pay for a product really easier than using my credit card? I suppose if I constantly have my phone in hand, hitting refresh on facebook...

All these pushes for more convenience are going to fall flat. We already have too many conveniences. If I'm going to buy something, I'd rather take the time to go to the actual merchant site to make the purchase. And is using my phone to pay for a product really easier than using my credit card? I suppose if I constantly have my phone in hand, hitting refresh on facebook...

I'm still a fan of buying from local stores. As long as prices aren't significantly higher, I'll pay an extra 10 or 20 bucks to have it that day, as well as having someone to talk to if something goes wrong. Fortunately, I live in a city with a small store for almost everything.

It takes a 25-person team to "develop" a "BUY" button?

WTF.

I'm still a fan of buying from local stores. As long as prices aren't significantly higher, I'll pay an extra 10 or 20 bucks to have it that day, as well as having someone to talk to if something goes wrong. Fortunately, I live in a city with a small store for almost everything.

I like local stores because it makes returns much easier (at least for me).

It takes a 25-person team to "develop" a "BUY" button?

WTF.

Yeah, doomed to fail from the start. Starve a project of this scope of resources and outcome is certain. Buy big buttons or don't buy buttons at all.

If only they had devoted several 100 person teams across the globe competing to make the most compelling Buy Button experience with thousands of focus groups, with each of those focus groups having thousands of followers, might have had a chance.

It's too late now to help their noble ambition, but if I was the project leader, my team would have created Buy Buttons with embedded Cat video clips from Vine. A rare opportunity for a perfect synergy of their useless platforms wasted.

Back