Twitch to Sell Games to Support Streamers This Spring

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Twitch has partnered with various video game publishers to sell games directly through the Twitch streaming service. For example your account through Ubisoft's UPLAY can be linked to your Twitch account. If your favorite streamer is streaming a Ubisoft game, then there will be a buy option at the top of the broadcast. The streamer would get 5% commission of the sale and the game would be added to the viewer's account automatically. No keys would be generated to keep abuse low.

What do you think? I've used Twitch since it's inception and I've seen them have account issues before. I remember when all the biggest streamers got hacked and more salacious content was streamed on their accounts in an attempt to get them banned from the service. Since then Twitch has regularly upgraded their service and all of these issues seem to have gone away. Amazon allows it's Amazon Prime users to link their Twitch to it for free games, DLC, discounts, unique Twitch only in game items, free subscriptions, etc.

I think it is masterful to place a purchase button on game streams as they happen in real time. I have to admit that some of the streamers are talented entertainers and it's a lot easier to hit the "Buy" button when you're in an euphoric mood from watching a twenty kill streak unfold, or world record Mario run. I can also see a lot of charge backs on credit cards as there are a ton of children that watch streams as it is the "TV" for the gamer culture. I wonder if the games will go on sale from time to time as the Steam Sale has become a part of our gamer culture. Without early buyer discounts and sales, this could die really fast.

It's worth noting that Riot and Valve are not included on this list, whose games—League of Legends, Dota 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive—are among the most viewed on the streaming service. Whether or not this changes down the line remains to be seen.

Twitch's vice president of commerce Matt McCloskey adds: "Many of our streamers want to make a living doing what they love. To help them, we're enabling game developers to sell game content at the exact time and place their communities are gathered to watch, which in turn lets streamers earn money from games sold on their channels. To ensure everyone benefits, we're also rewarding fans that take part in the program with Twitch Crates."

It's a good idea. I've seen too many streamers still supporting G2A for that 2% commission or whatever they're getting. Allah willing this will be the final death knell for G2A.

It makes sense, and honestly now that Twitch is owned by Amazon they should just open a store. It has good brand recognition, and Steam needs the competition. GoG is great, but the lack of any sort of DRM will keep major publishers away from it with new games, and the Windows Store still has to overcome the Games For Windows debacle.

Easily could have the streamers pop up time limited discounts to viewers. It is amazing the effect it would have watching someone play a game and then it pops up 10% off if you buy this within the next 30minutes using this code. Streamers get a small cut and amazon moves more sales.

I could see this spiraling into a giant mess of car dealership type streamers now.

I think it's a good idea as long it doesn't become intrusive.
That's the thing though. It will! Does Amazon already suggest games to you if you watch the game on twitch? If popup ads and discounts are involved while watching this could be a very bad thing.

That's the thing though. It will! Does Amazon already suggest games to you if you watch the game on twitch? If popup ads and discounts are involved while watching this could be a very bad thing.
Well if you are subscribed to a streamer you don't get ads. Also AdBlock would probably block this also. I have no problems with ads on any sites cause it is a website needs the revenue. It makes it hard not to use AdBlock tho nowadays cause so many ads are in your face and some sites it is a nuisance to get to the info you wanting to see. If they were so intrusive I would think most people wouldn't even use ad blocker. Don't know why they can get that through their heads.

It makes sense, and honestly now that Twitch is owned by Amazon they should just open a store. It has good brand recognition, and Steam needs the competition. GoG is great, but the lack of any sort of DRM will keep major publishers away from it with new games, and the Windows Store still has to overcome the Games For Windows debacle.

they sorta tried with a few twitch prime game freebies, it failed miserably. only about 10% of the people that claimed the game offers actually installed the app required to play the game and the program ended up being complete crap anyways so they changed it so that you could link your twitch account to uplay instead. i wouldn't be surprised if eventually steam jumps on board and teams up with amazon to allow the same thing. it's cheaper for amazon to go that route anyways then to try and directly compete with steam.

twitch uses google ad's so it's related to your recorded ip search history. but game developers do pay twitch to get their ad's shown instead. i use to watch ad's to help streamers but eventually had to block them because i kept getting ad's in Spanish due to my sister taking spanish in college and her constantly searching word translations she didn't understanding.. drove me nuts.

Last edited:
It's a good idea. I've seen too many streamers still supporting G2A for that 2% commission or whatever they're getting. Allah willing this will be the final death knell for G2A.
Every time I hear about G2A:

Back