Twitch Streamer Dies in Middle of 24 Hour Stream

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Twitch streamer and avid World of Tanks gamer Brian Vigneault, aka Poshybrid, has died during a 24-hour Make-A-Wish charity stream. Known for his marathon streaming habits, the father of three was at the 22 hour mark when he took a break to smoke a cigarette. He never returned and it was assumed that he had fallen asleep. Several hours later viewers noticed activity on his voice chat account, but it was a detective from the Virginia Beach, Virginia police department who announced his death. A cause of death has yet to be announced, but foul play is not suspected. A person can develop blood clots from sitting too long. I wonder if this is the cause of death. This happens at internet cafes when a person will sit for too long and die.

Virginia Police confirmed Mr Vigneault had passed away, but could not reveal the circumstances behind his death. It's understood to be the first time a gamer has died on the platform. The gaming community Fame paid tribute to Brian on their Facebook page and wrote: "Sad news from Virginia beach , one of the most famous NA streamers and a member of our clan Poshybrid has passed away at the age of 35.

I used to live near VA Beach. Sad to know that stuff like this happens. :(

First 2 posts are a form of compassion? What the hell?... No immediate comments on what an idiot? Must be because he died playing games....

I'm originally from P-town aka Portsmouth VA myself, heard this mentioned on FM99 this morning (I listen in on their Internet stream most mornings 'cause Las Vegas radio sucks), sad news for his family and friends, absolutely.

Now I suppose we'll start seeing a lot of PSAs about playing games for extended periods of time where being in a seated position can (and most likely in this case could be related) result in some pretty severe health issues. I've had one clot form behind a knee joint in the past, felt a twinge in the area and within 20 minutes I swear I thought I had a marble there and could easily feel it under the skin, was pretty harrowing for a while but it got taken care of with a trip to a hospital, an ultrasound, and a lot of Heparin in an IV and Lovenox shots in the abdomen.

Protip: don't sit for such extended periods of time, get up every hour or even more frequently and MOVE.

First 2 posts are a form of compassion? What the hell?... No immediate comments on what an idiot? Must be because he died playing games....

Seriously? That's what you've got to offer the thread?

Like Zarathustra said, probably a clot.
When he went for the smoke, the Nicotine immediately caused an obstructed vessel to even further narrow itself and that was that.

A father. This is the worst.

Sad news indeed. Condolences to the family and his children.

If it was in fact a blood clot a sobering reminder to get up and move people.

I'm originally from P-town aka Portsmouth VA myself, heard this mentioned on FM99 this morning (I listen in on their Internet stream most mornings 'cause Las Vegas radio sucks), sad news for his family and friends, absolutely.

Now I suppose we'll start seeing a lot of PSAs about playing games for extended periods of time where being in a seated position can (and most likely in this case could be related) result in some pretty severe health issues. I've had one clot form behind a knee joint in the past, felt a twinge in the area and within 20 minutes I swear I thought I had a marble there and could easily feel it under the skin, was pretty harrowing for a while but it got taken care of with a trip to a hospital, an ultrasound, and a lot of Heparin in an IV and Lovenox shots in the abdomen.

Protip: don't sit for such extended periods of time, get up every hour or even more frequently and MOVE.

Seriously? That's what you've got to offer the thread?
Uh-huh.... Obviously I'm being sarcastic about the person that died, not so much about the routine (by my measure anyway) lack of compassion encountered in posts here.

Obviously it's not good that this happened, but it's also obviously completely preventable. People die after long trans-Pacific flights all the time because of the same problem. Get a little under desk peddle bike thing if you're really intent on doing this kind of stunt to at least keep your blood flowing.

With that in mind, I've never understood these kind of things...who's the person out there with money to donate to charity who says "I'd love to help Make-A-Wish, but only if this dude plays WoT for 24 hours straight"???

Obviously it's not good that this happened, but it's also obviously completely preventable. People die after long trans-Pacific flights all the time because of the same problem. Get a little under desk peddle bike thing if you're really intent on doing this kind of stunt to at least keep your blood flowing.

With that in mind, I've never understood these kind of things...who's the person out there with money to donate to charity who says "I'd love to help Make-A-Wish, but only if this dude plays WoT for 24 hours straight"???
Hopefully the viewers aren't sitting around watching for 24 hours straight as well.

The 24 hours is not what killed him. Obviously he got up to eat, bathroom, take smoke breaks. I've seen gamers do 48 hour marathons for charity so what he did is far from dangerous. I would say it was just a bad case of genetics, the smoking probably didn't help either.

There has to be some kind of genetic predisposition for this sort of thing. I've rarely get out of this chair and have pretty much been sitting on my ass since 1988 and I'm still kickin'.

sitting is the new smoking...smoking is still smoking. PSA - Buy a stand up desk if your going to go full retard and game for that long. Exercise. Dont smoke, its so 90s.
Hate that for his family.

sitting is the new smoking...smoking is still smoking. PSA - Buy a stand up desk if your going to go full retard and game for that long. Exercise. Dont smoke, its so 90s.
No sitting is the new smoking, smoking is infanticide, vaping is mass murder.

You would think, but a number of my coworkers who are in their 20s smoke.

You would think, but a number of my coworkers who are in their 20s smoke.

'Cigarette smoking has fallen sharply among 18- to 24-year-olds. In fact, the percentage of smokers in that age group dropped by nearly a third over the past decade, CDC data show, the sharpest decline of any group. But that striking change might be attributable, at least in part, to the growing popularity of e-cigarettes, hookahs and other "non-cigarette tobacco products," CDC officials said.'

I have a bad tendancy to lock my legs and not move them when things get intense. I have tried to get up from gaming a few times and I can barely stand.
No sitting is the new smoking, smoking is infanticide, vaping is mass murder.
I've heard some say vaping is the best avenue to begin quitting smoking and has been propagandized against. Either way, I don't see why it deserves more prohibitions in any way shape or form than smoking. The benefit of Vaping is its only a threat to the person doing it.

I have a bad tendancy to lock my legs and not move them when things get intense. I have tried to get up from gaming a few times and I can barely stand.
I've heard some say vaping is the best avenue to begin quitting smoking and has been propagandized against. Either way, I don't see why it deserves more prohibitions in any way shape or form than smoking. The benefit of Vaping is its only a threat to the person doing it.

The biggest issue with vaping is idiots who don't know how to properly store batteries, build unregulated mods or use shitty chinese vape pens. I've seen what a full 18650 battery overheat explosion can do and trust me, you do NOT want that happening on a plane or somewhere in a crowded environment. But it's primarily old money from big tobacco spreading the FUD. Same reason pharmaceuticals are one of the leading corporations against legalized marijuana.

As we gamers get older we can no longer do what we used to be able to do: injest lots of caffeine, go without sleep, and sit still.

All three things are bad for our health.

Until the autopsy is done, we won't know what really killed him. Uninformed idle speculation so far. For all we know, he could have died from being shot by a porch pirate he discovered stealing a package. Or a previously unknown defect. Its a rare year where we don't read about some prime of life, in peak condition basketball player falling dead on the court due to some heart or lung defect.

Sucks for the family, especially if one of them is the one that made the initial discovery. Really hope he was found because one of his gaming buddies asked for a welfare check by the local LEOs.

Gaming for long periods of time does another kind of number on you.

Muscle tension and being in a slight fight or flight mode.
That's different from just sitting and passively looking at [H] or a movie.

Of course, Kotaku has to drop the "Twitch streamers need more regulation and protection" click bait 'article', and uses this guy's death as proof of such. :banghead:

Let's not pretend long gaming sessions and smoking killed him, please. I know both take a toll on one's health but that's quite a stretch.

Let's not pretend long gaming sessions and smoking killed him, please. I know both take a toll on one's health but that's quite a stretch.

It is only speculation for now. But no, long gaming sessions don't kill people, blood clots do. Blood clots form from long periods of little to no activity. Or he could have had a stroke, heart attack, tripped and hit his head. It is infinite guessing until we find out.

I saw on facebook that he had a pre-existing heart condition...so I'm sure that didn't help either.

these streamers and such who game for 24 hour stretches aren't really sitting and gaming for that long are they?...they must get up and move around a bit, go to the bathroom etc

Yikes. Hopefully, they update with the cause. If it was due to long gaming sessions, smoking, etc., they should make a benefit or something that pushes outdoor activity.

Drink lots of water while gaming...one, it's healthy. And two, you'll have to take a break every hour to visit the bathroom.

The 24 hours is not what killed him. Obviously he got up to eat, bathroom, take smoke breaks. I've seen gamers do 48 hour marathons for charity so what he did is far from dangerous. I would say it was just a bad case of genetics, the smoking probably didn't help either.

I think you have it backwards just a little.

It was the twentyfour hours that killed him, those other contributing risks just made it possible. I've seen people who smoke, etc who aren't dead yet, it's cause they lucky right?, na, it's cause they either have a life style that doesn't push it or they consciously know they have some things they just shouldn't do cause they have risk factors.

My take on it.

I think you have it backwards just a little.

It was the twentyfour hours that killed him, those other contributing risks just made it possible. I've seen people who smoke, etc who aren't dead yet, it's cause they lucky right?, na, it's cause they either have a life style that doesn't push it or they consciously know they have some things they just shouldn't do cause they have risk factors.

My take on it.
Hopefully we eventually find out what the actual cause was. At least this is a good excuse to get plenty of sleep.

Back