Twitch Majorly Leaked

I know a few people that have multiple screens and watch Twitch while playing a game. Some people use it as background noise, some people actively engage in the chat and community and some people use it to see what new games are like before they buy. YouTube clips can be edited, Twitch is a raw stream of gameplay which can be a more honest representation.

I don't watch too often but I see why other people like it.

Er maybe $2k? ($5 x 365 ~ $2k).
Let's say she doordashes starbucks a few times a day for herself and sends some to her friends, then it probably would add up to $200k.
I know one twitch streamer that spends around $36k/year on doordash, which I think is kind of excessive, lol.

For those complaining about why people watch people playing video games, this video has a high level overview of the psychology behind it. Skip to 6:35 to get to that part.

Some pretty interesting perspectives in this thread. I knew streamers made bank, but phew. If I ever earn this type of cheddar, I'll kick a chunk at the crowd doing the real dirty jobs - sewage treatment, garbage men, and the people responsible for cleaning up the sidewalk dumps in San Fran...

Its also a big misconception that these people are lazy. It takes a lot of dedication, planning, consistency, investment (monetary, time, freedom, etc), to build and maintain a full time or even half-time career, as a streamer and/or youtuber. Most of these people have teams helping them behind the scenes. because doing it all on your own would likely lead to overworking yourself. Its a business. And its one which changes constantly. They have to be able to absorb and adapt.

Indeed, some of those whom have been around for 7 - 10 years, may have a slightly easier time of it all. But there is still plenty of hustle going on, to maintain it. And anyone newer than that, is working very hard. The specifics of what "hard" means, may not match up with a more classic occupation. It is a lot of work, all the same.
I have two friends who make a living Facebook streaming. One is doing well enough to pay his bills, the other just bought a nice home solely from his streaming income. I've known both these guys for years when they worked "real" jobs, and streaming has taken it out of them more, at least mentally.

You have to be in character for hours, trying to pretend to be happy and engaging no matter how shitty you feel. You have to keep on top of the fickle algorithms to make sure you continue to grow your audience or avoid simply falling off the radar. You have come up with promotions and gimmicks to keep your audience interested. You constantly have to refresh your content to keep it interesting, but not change things so much you alienate your loyal viewers. And of course you have to deal with the usual asshole and trolls. Then there are the technical aspects involved with creating and maintaining a presentable stream.

They've both tried to get me to stream, offering to help me get off the ground by "raiding" my new stream, sending their viewers my way. I've refused every time, because I see they're not exactly happy doing it; but I know they feel like they should be happy, because everyone starts out doing the streaming thing thinking it will be awesome if they finally get to a point where they can make a living. Instead, it can be a case of the dog catching the car.

You have to be in character for hours, trying to pretend to be happy and engaging no matter how shitty you feel. You have to keep on top of the fickle algorithms to make sure you continue to grow your audience or avoid simply falling off the radar. You have come up with promotions and gimmicks to keep your audience interested. You constantly have to refresh your content to keep it interesting, but not change things so much you alienate your loyal viewers. And of course you have to deal with the usual asshole and trolls. Then there are the technical aspects involved with creating and maintaining a presentable stream.
I've been saying this since forever. Probably the only worse job in gaming than streaming is being a beta tester. Where you have to repetively do the same routines over and over again, playing shitty games thousands of times over, devoid of any fun. And you can't even "make it" as a tester.

The thing with streaming, is that it has exactly the same toll on you whether you have 100, or a million followers. If you pause streaming to take a few days off then you fall out of favor with the recommendation algorithm, so you can't even take a vacation without being on the edge.

But I still understand the people doing it more, than those watching. I can't be bothered to watch someone else play a game for 10 minutes before I get annoyed when they do something stupid in game. Or even just something I'd have done differently.
I think watching streamers is more about the company, than the game being played. You get the same chemicals in the brain as if you were playing with a real friend.

It was Pokimane and was actually only 100k year on Starbucks.
$100k/year on Starbucks *and* Uber Eats. Apparently she orders coffee delivery for herself and those she streams with 2/3 times a day, so the total makes sense.

Obviously there are far cheaper options than that, but yeah. Rich people do weird shit I guess.

Your posts certainly come across as more angry than “hm I’m not sure why people are interested in watching twitch”.
I'm sorry I didn't put emojis or whatever to indicate I wasn't actually angry. Secondly, that's not what i said. I said: "I'm not sure why people watch this shit." If you are going to quote me, do it right.
I also didn’t tag you, so not sure why you’re responding to a post about people getting upset over what others do with their time.
Because that's how forums work. You read through a thread and when you see a comment you feel like responding to, you can. You don't have to "tag" someone for someone else to respond.
I never got interested in twitch but I’m not going to talk shit about people who are. I really like Muay Thai and kickboxing but I can certainly understand that there are people that don’t want to get punched in the face.
I didn't. If I were talking shit, you'd know it. I simply stated that I didn't understand the appeal of watching other people play video games. If I like a game or I'm interested in a game, I'll play it myself.

There are artists that put on pasties and paint their breasts.

So there is that.
OK, that's a compelling reason. You have transformed my understanding and opinion of Twitch forever.

I'm sorry I didn't put emojis or whatever to indicate I wasn't actually angry. Secondly, that's not what i said. I said: "I'm not sure why people watch this shit." If you are going to quote me, do it right.

Because that's how forums work. You read through a thread and when you see a comment you feel like responding to, you can. You don't have to "tag" someone for someone else to respond.

I didn't. If I were talking shit, you'd know it. I simply stated that I didn't understand the appeal of watching other people play video games. If I like a game or I'm interested in a game, I'll play it myself.
My post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at people that are angry. You say you are not angry but felt the need to respond to the post, but you're not angry, gotcha. I hope you have a good non-anger filled day doing things you enjoy.

My post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at people that are angry. You say you are not angry but felt the need to respond to the post, but you're not angry, gotcha. I hope you have a good non-anger filled day doing things you enjoy.
Well, if you weren't quoting me, than my mistake but I thought you were.

No kidding. Even worse; the majority (who aren't IRL) play a *single* game for thousands of hours. That doesn't fit my lifestyle in the slightest :LOL:
That's the funny bit. It's one thing to play a game for several hours because you're hooked; it's another because you have to if you expect to pull in viewers. And that's fine for constantly evolving experiences like GTA5 RP, but not so fun if you're playing the same battle royale shooter over... and over... and over.

That's the funny bit. It's one thing to play a game for several hours because you're hooked; it's another because you have to if you expect to pull in viewers. And that's fine for constantly evolving experiences like GTA5 RP, but not so fun if you're playing the same battle royale shooter over... and over... and over.
i understand what you are getting at with this. If you are obligated to do it then the activity becomes a job. That's going to detract from the experience. On that I agree. However, I've put thousands of hours into some games, playing them for years throughout a great deal of my free time. These days my interests vary too much to do that, but 10 years ago or so I could have played games that much. I enjoyed games like Unreal Tournament 2004 enough to play them year after year for thousands and thousands of hours. Of course, there were modded maps, skins, etc. that helped keep it fresh. Playing against humans was a dynamic enough experience that it was very enjoyable. Eventually, I did tire of the game but at least this aspect of streaming on the part of the streamers I can understand.

To be clear, I can understand why people stream their content. I just don't fully understand why people are drawn toward watching it the way they are.

I either listen to music or a Twitch stream or two while I'm working. If I have time, I'll interact with the streamer and others in chat too. It's more than just "watching someone else do something".

I love horror movies, but can't play horror games as they stress me out too much. It's not fun. It is fun to watch someone else play Resident Evil or what have you though.

Obviously there are far cheaper options than that, but yeah. Rich people do weird shit I guess.
Some people just feel the need to be liked by others and they feel buying them stuff is a way for that. Hell it is probably the primary reason people give them money in the first place.

GTARP is what got me hooked and is pretty much 95% of the streamers i follow. Its always new fun content and hilarious. It was better then anything on TV and it was daily. Fast forward 3 years and im still a viewer and tbh my GF watches alot to. Outside of GTARP i dont really watch much else except when a new game is coming out and streamers get the beta ill watch to check out the beta to get an idea how it is to see if i want to buy it. Did that with Cyberpunk and im doing it with BF2042. Luckily usually one or more of the GTARP streamers i follow will probably have a sponsored stream for it so i really dont have to wander to far.

For anyone who cares, it's a google search away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thresh_(gamer)

I figured when he sold off the firing squad he was probably already set, but he also sold XFire to Viacom 15 years ago and got a portion of $102,000,000. He always seemed like a smart guy, so I'm guessing he probably managed to leverage being a decent quake player pretty well.

Right, and Thresh would be an example of someone who knew where he was going and "professional gamer" or "professional game broadcaster" was never in those cards.....but I don't get the same vibe from most of these clowns today. There are some I enjoy, JackFrags.....of course the Two-Time (and he's already on the verge of aging out, guessing he appeals more to an audience my age)......but those other ones, the Faze Clan types and all that with the houses and lambo's and the Miami Beach Bling Lifestyle if I had to stereotype it, they strike me more as hustlers who are going to wind up in jail or running bitcoin scams (which, I think, recently happened or something.....didn't pay too much attention). But that's my boomer mentality at work here.......

Right, and Thresh would be an example of someone who knew where he was going and "professional gamer" or "professional game broadcaster" was never in those cards.....but I don't get the same vibe from most of these clowns today. There are some I enjoy, JackFrags.....of course the Two-Time (and he's already on the verge of aging out, guessing he appeals more to an audience my age)......but those other ones, the Faze Clan types and all that with the houses and lambo's and the Miami Beach Bling Lifestyle if I had to stereotype it, they strike me more as hustlers who are going to wind up in jail or running bitcoin scams (which, I think, recently happened or something.....didn't pay too much attention). But that's my boomer mentality at work here.......
Bolded is same for me.

I appreciate a lot of the small content creators work on Youtube, and I even have watched some of the things that get cross-posted there from Twitch, but they're things like that Australian lady, Lara, playing the piano, not some dude playing video games for a few hours. If I had time to watch someone play video games for a few hours I'd just play them myself, and get the actual enjoyment.

8vfa4cg0lzr71.jpg

i understand what you are getting at with this. If you are obligated to do it then the activity becomes a job. That's going to detract from the experience. On that I agree. However, I've put thousands of hours into some games, playing them for years throughout a great deal of my free time. These days my interests vary too much to do that, but 10 years ago or so I could have played games that much. I enjoyed games like Unreal Tournament 2004 enough to play them year after year for thousands and thousands of hours. Of course, there were modded maps, skins, etc. that helped keep it fresh. Playing against humans was a dynamic enough experience that it was very enjoyable. Eventually, I did tire of the game but at least this aspect of streaming on the part of the streamers I can understand.

To be clear, I can understand why people stream their content. I just don't fully understand why people are drawn toward watching it the way they are.

There are a lot of different reasons people watch streams, and there are a lot of different types of streams. And a lot of the streams are combinations of a bunch of different types and reasons people watch are a combination of a bunch of different reasons.

"Esports" tournaments and competitions
This one is obvious, it's just like watching physical sports. People like watching competitions. If you don't understand this it's because you don't want to understand.

Individual Streamers:
These ones are where I think it's hard for a lot of people to understand because there are typically a lot of different reasons and combinations of reasons people watch these.

The streamer is very good at the game.
People watch for a lot of the same reasons they watch sports and other competitions.

You just want to see what the game is like.
Similar to watching a gameplay video or review or something. Maybe you don't want to buy/play the game but enjoy the story. Maybe you're doing other stuff and just kind of watching in the background. Maybe you're too lazy to play games and just the kind of person that watches TV non-stop and this is similar.

The streamer has an entertaining personality.
You're not really watching for the game you just find the streamer entertaining They're funny, it's entertaining to watch their struggles to beat the game or whatever. They do cool things in the game that are entertaining. Kind of like why people watch reality TV.

The streamer is good looking.
Often gets people to start watching, and then they continue for other reasons.

A sense of community.
The streamer responds to your chat and stuff and it feels like you're just hanging out with a friend or something. Also talking with the other people watching the stream.

It's usually a combination of the above reasons when people watch. I don't think there are any popular streamers that don't tick multiple checkboxes.

GTARP is what got me hooked and is pretty much 95% of the streamers i follow. Its always new fun content and hilarious. It was better then anything on TV and it was daily. Fast forward 3 years and im still a viewer and tbh my GF watches alot to. Outside of GTARP i dont really watch much else except when a new game is coming out and streamers get the beta ill watch to check out the beta to get an idea how it is to see if i want to buy it. Did that with Cyberpunk and im doing it with BF2042. Luckily usually one or more of the GTARP streamers i follow will probably have a sponsored stream for it so i really dont have to wander to far.

What is a sponsored stream?

There are a lot of different reasons people watch streams, and there are a lot of different types of streams. And a lot of the streams are combinations of a bunch of different types and reasons people watch are a combination of a bunch of different reasons.

"Esports" tournaments and competitions
This one is obvious, it's just like watching physical sports. People like watching competitions. If you don't understand this it's because you don't want to understand.
This I actually do understand even if I don't generally share the interest.
Individual Streamers:
These ones are where I think it's hard for a lot of people to understand because there are typically a lot of different reasons and combinations of reasons people watch these.

The streamer is very good at the game.
People watch for a lot of the same reasons they watch sports and other competitions.

You just want to see what the game is like.
Similar to watching a gameplay video or review or something. Maybe you don't want to buy/play the game but enjoy the story. Maybe you're doing other stuff and just kind of watching in the background. Maybe you're too lazy to play games and just the kind of person that watches TV non-stop and this is similar.

The streamer has an entertaining personality.
You're not really watching for the game you just find the streamer entertaining They're funny, it's entertaining to watch their struggles to beat the game or whatever. They do cool things in the game that are entertaining. Kind of like why people watch reality TV.

The streamer is good looking.
Often gets people to start watching, and then they continue for other reasons.

A sense of community.
The streamer responds to your chat and stuff and it feels like you're just hanging out with a friend or something. Also talking with the other people watching the stream.

It's usually a combination of the above reasons when people watch. I don't think there are any popular streamers that don't tick multiple checkboxes.
Fair enough.

Personally, I think watching EVO or some of the more well organized regional Fighting Game tournaments (like NLBC), is just as entertaining as watching UFC, Boxing, or any televised sport, really.

What is a sponsored stream?
Companies will pay streamers to play their game on stream and pretend like they're enjoying it for an agreed upon amount of time. I've heard some "medium" streamers (around 1000 viewers on average) say they won't do it for less than $10k.

Companies will pay streamers to play their game on stream and pretend like they're enjoying it for an agreed upon amount of time. I've heard some "medium" streamers (around 1000 viewers on average) say they won't do it for less than $10k.

From what I can tell, this is where the bulk of Nintendo spends their marketing budget.

I think this also speaks to the target audience for a lot of streamers.

There are artists that put on pasties and paint their breasts.

So there is that.
There's also people who lick ear shaped microphones in little to no clothing, and people who sit in bikini's in hot tubs, people who wear low cut tops and drink. People are weird and watch weird stuff, really odd people also "donate" money.

There's also people who lick ear shaped microphones in little to no clothing, and people who sit in bikini's in hot tubs, people who wear low cut tops and drink. People are weird and watch weird stuff, really odd people also "donate" money.
Don't forget the Amouranth horse mask stream. Classic.

Back