Tweeting Refrigerators and Texting Washing Machines?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am all for innovative new tech ideas but some of this stuff is just stupid. WiFi enabled bathroom scales? Why?

The list of internet-connected -- i.e. "smart" -- gadgets promoted at this massive technology trade show includes washing machines that send text messages and communicate with smartphones, refrigerators that play music from the internet, and kitchen ovens that download recipes and can essentially teach you to cook.

I wish there was a way to tone down the new tweet and facebooke icons on your page... Kills the look of the Red and Black theme...

WiFi enabled bathroom scales to create a more social experience in dieting. There has been success shown with people having some sort of accountability. Diet with other friends and have your diets and weight updated to a twitter page.

I dunno, I'm absentminded enough I wouldn't mind a text from my washing machine going "hey, dumba$$, I'm done, come put the clothes in the dryer", or similar.

My geeky side loves it but my alpha male instinct tells me its retarded.

If there wasnt a full color display I would more into it. Something about a color display on your dryer seems overkill.

My boss has a fridge that sends an email if certain things happen... like if something broke, the door was left open, no water for ice-maker, something's leaking, etc... most appliances have "computers" in them already, so it probably doesn't take much more effort to have it talk to you in some way.

WiFi enabled bathroom scales to create a more social experience in dieting. There has been success shown with people having some sort of accountability. Diet with other friends and have your diets and weight updated to a twitter page.

As a gym member myself, I agree with this. People tend to be more serious about their workouts and diets when they have other people knowing about it, or working out with them.

I wish there was a way to tone down the new tweet and facebooke icons on your page... Kills the look of the Red and Black theme...

I thought it was just me but....for a site that makes fun of FB and Twitter.........:(

The only useful thing would have been to have the washer and dryer send a texto when it's done or if there are issues. Like that, we can do more important things without constantly watching or waiting if it's done.

oh boy, your frozen pizza's melt and your doctor pepper over heats because windows crashed the refrigerator when the new service update was downloaded....

I am all for innovative new tech ideas but some of this stuff is just stupid. WiFi enabled bathroom scales? Why?

Just as stupid as having a tweet this/facebook this under every news article? :(

"LG's Drayer will let me know on your smart phone which will let you know when the drying is complete"

Finally, someone put some sense on those idiots, now i don't have to hear 'BEEP'

"Samsung brings Tweeter on the fridge"

Finally and idea for some (Definitely not and [H]) to save on those new computers just so they can tweet day and night.

I would go for a WiFi bathroom scale. Especially if it uses a simple XML data format and/or easily integrates with some software that lets me chart weight loss/gain over time.

I asked my wife about this one.
She thinks a dryer that texts you when it is done is a good idea. ( It's in the basement) She also likes the oven that tells you when food is done. She wants a fridge that updates The grocery list on her phone when stuff gets used.

If you're tracking your weight, the ability to weigh in and have it automatically go into some table or program on your PC seems like a decent app. The key is how much does it cost and how do you set it up to work with your router.

A wifi enabled Washer/Dryer would be useful, if you could tell it to turn on remotely. Security matters even more in this case.

I'm less convinced about an oven that D/L recipes.

I'm all for this..
Finally, a way to make my wife more efficient at cooking and doing laundry..

Need to occasionally tweet that its time for a steak and a BJ.. I guess Ill just wait till I can jailbreak the fridge... should also have a function to lock the fridge door if you go over the limit on the scale.

If you're tracking your weight, the ability to weigh in and have it automatically go into some table or program on your PC seems like a decent app. The key is how much does it cost and how do you set it up to work with your router.

It's a sort of decent idea, but IMO still kind of pointless. Even if you weigh yourself every day, it takes 5-10sec to enter it in a spreadsheet (that's 30-60mins per YEAR). Is someone this lazy really going to be losing weight? :p

Then you have to figure it will take at least a little bit of time to get set up properly in the first place, so you've just blown all your "saved time".

I asked my wife about this one.
She thinks a dryer that texts you when it is done is a good idea. ( It's in the basement) She also likes the oven that tells you when food is done. She wants a fridge that updates The grocery list on her phone when stuff gets used.

Sounds like you have a real lazy wife.

It's a sort of decent idea, but IMO still kind of pointless. Even if you weigh yourself every day, it takes 5-10sec to enter it in a spreadsheet (that's 30-60mins per YEAR). Is someone this lazy really going to be losing weight? :p

Then you have to figure it will take at least a little bit of time to get set up properly in the first place, so you've just blown all your "saved time".

As I said, it all depends on how easy it is to setup. Furthermore, with this scale, you could, in theory, have it weigh multiple people. Thus, an entire family might use it.

Regardless, I don't think ti's a bad idea. Time will tell if it's well executed or not.

I saw the fridge thing... kind of helps get rid and save on leftovers from rotting. Or any food pretty much.... fridge app and see whats about to rot so you can eat it before it goes bad.

the text washing machine is fucking stupid and almost pointless though... they should have invested their R&D money on something more efficient for society..... like making automatic washer/dryer combos a basic thing these days. Why text the person to do it when you can easily make a machine that will automatically put it in the dryer? Stupiddddddd LG and Samsung, get with it!

Back