Tweaks to CS?

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I started to play CS again after quitting when Steam came out. What are the tweaks out there that you guys use to make the games run better. I know there is that Vsync thing to turn off also. Can you tell me how to change this? Also what is better to run on, Direct3D or OpenGL? Lastly, how do I get the little thing on the bottom right to tell my FPS?

cl_updaterate = 30
cl_cmdrate = 20
rate = 7500 (only if you have broadband)

-warsaw

warsawtag said:
cl_updaterate = 30
cl_cmdrate = 20

-warsaw

ewww no. how can you even play like that?

Tweak it all you want but the last 3 matches I've had has guys doing this crazy 360 thing and getting headshots everytime. Also, what's is wrong with that guys settings recommendation?

All of this is entered into Console right?

What about turning off Vsync? Recommend that? How do you do it?

warsawtag said:
cl_updaterate = 30
cl_cmdrate = 20

-warsaw

With my cable (3mbit / 1/2 mbit) i run the below.

fps_max=101
cl_updaterate=101
cl_cmdrate=101
rate=25000

And with that if the server is good then basicly your bullets actually kill and what not... But then again u can as easily die if ur a idiot camper...

i guess this is on the subject. since i switched cable companys cs has been lagging like crazy. i can play farcry online fine, but cs just chokes up. i keept spiking up to like 1k lag. usually sits at 250. its spose to be 3mbit up/256kdown but i'm just not seeing it.

whats the deal with rate. how does that work.
any other ideas?

http://www.hltoolz.com/download.html

HL Toolz is the best program for tweaking visual settings for fps gain or better visual quality.
It basicly has every option there is for you, and it makes the config for you.

IT has ping tweaks but as far as ping goes I use this.

rate 9999
cl_cmdrate 100 (set this equal to your fps)
cl_updaterate (100 is best but you need a good connection and a good server or be on a LAN to use this)

ex_interp 0 (this will automatically make interp set to the correct setting based on your updaterate)

use net_graph 3 to see if your getting choke, and lower your updaterate by 10's from 100 untill you get no choke (do this after setting ex_interp to 0 )

Or you could just use more modest rates like cmdrate 60 and updaterate 30 and leave interp alone, that should do you alright on most servers.

as for your rates, I can honestly say I have tried just about everything there is and can say that the best rates I have used personally are cl_cmdrate 70, cl_updaterate 50, and rate 2000, gl and hf :)

Open GL

everything should Be 101 as in update rate cmd rate and i say the rate should be 20000

Anything lower makes the game play terrible

opengl

personally, i like using v sync casue it seems smoother to me becasue the screen doesnt tear as much.

Back