Tweaking Z370 Hero X - 9900K

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by brentsg, Dec 16, 2018.

1. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I posted this elsewhere and not getting any traction. Mostly trying to decipher the HWiNFO stuff.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a work @ home machine with the Hero X Z370, and I've dropped a 9900K in.

Since stability is key, I'm looking for a middle ground for performance. When using mostly auto and XMP settings, I noticed that my Vcore was spiking to 1.4V+ which is unnecessary.

I have attempted to setup the system to use the stock turbo speeds and adaptive with 1.3V, no offset (for a starting point). Edit: Now dropped to 1.25V.

Like:
    XMP Enabled
    MCE Disabled (with no response)
    AVX offset - 3
    SVID Enabled
    SVID Best Case
    Cpu Core/Cache Current Limit - Max
    Adaptive Vcore - 1.25V
    LLC=6
    CPU Current - 140%
    Long/Short Duration - Both Max
    IA/DC LLC - 0.01

All of the Speedstep stuff is on.

Just kicking around and running some stress tests I seem to generally be maxing out at around Vcore=1.232V (VID 1.239V) with temps peaking at 79C with 1 hour Prime95 (no AVX). Package power <170W. I'm seeing occasional overshoot to 1.296V.

HWINFO is flagging the following:

-IA Max Turbo Limit
    -RING: Max VR Voltage; ICCMax; PL4
    -IA Turbo Attenuation (MCT)

I assume the turbo stuff is normal since the system is being forced to abide by the default Intel turbo bins.

I have no idea, even after research.. what the Ring: Max VR Voltage; ICCMax; PL4 flag is for. This is being flagged as Yes under all conditions including just idling along.

Thoughts on the HWINFO flags appreciated. -RING: Max VR Voltage; ICCMax; PL4 is the one I'm really trying to wrap my head around.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. JRW21

JRW21 Gawd

Yes, try the bowflex

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  3. Squat

Squat n00bie

What are SA and IO reading?

4. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

IO set for 1.15, reading up to 1.186 in HWiNFO
    SA set for 1.2, reading up to 1.224 in HWiNFO

I thought maybe it was CPU current so I dropped it to 100%, still flagging that weird variable (RING: Max VR Voltage; ICCMax; PL4).

Prob just going to ignore it but would be nice to know what it means.