Tweaking i9 7980xe Oc

Shadowarez

Gawd
Hi everyone new to forum long time reader since other outlets kinda changed hands and crumbled. Wanted say hi to the community and ask for help tweaking setting of my rig.

I'll list specs and al setting I use in bios. I'll get pics when I'm home. Working shifts on rigs atm. So away from rig.

It's stable but I wanted to make sure it lost good to rest of Enthusiasts out there this is my first rig since I built a i7 4960x rig way back.
Beast
CPU - i9 7980xe 4.5ghz 1.15v
Cooler - Noctua NH - U12A
Mobo - Rog Asus Apex x299
Ram - 64 GB Corsair Dominator Platuim 3200mhz 4x16GB
GPU - Vega FE 1650 Core 1080 HBM 2 (1120MV)
Case Corsair 1000D
Storage
1.intel 905p 380GB M.2 (Os)
2.intel 900p 280GB U.2 to Pcie(Ark)
3.intel 800p 118gb(Linux Drive)
3.iron wolf 14TB 256mb (Bulk)
4.intel 750 1.2TB (steam)

Attachments

• 20190406_202411.jpg
    20190406_202411.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
bump for a old thread, i have decided its time to try repop the lid off this cpu and see whats going on underneath the ihs, the guy i bought this from said the ihs was superglued back on after delidso im going to use acetone 100% and or 99% iso core 5-8 seem to be hittin 108c+ when gaming so its time to go direct die or just repaste.

All that intel storage, you buy it from an intel employee lol!

On topic, yeah it sounds like the delid is failing.

it is a absolute monster compaired to the cosmos 2 i had before but man does it love to attract dust haha but thats because i got her near a window waiting on 3D printed parts as im going to try a experiment. were i am winters get -40c to -56c most days nights even colder, so im puting a duct system to the outside and i gota usb powered 140m fan pulling cold air in through a duct direct into the case.

haha i got lucky on some ebay was more for testing the speed with game server apps see if i couldnt improve latency some users were having.

You really need better cooling, an OC'd 7980XE can draw 600 watts, no way that air cooler can touch that. You probably won't even need to mess with the de-lid, I think your cooling is just WAY undersized. But if you decide to..

I wouldn't try direct die, it's extremely unforgiving from the accounts I've read. I'd go with a de-lid/re-lid with some fresh Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra. Make sure you get ALL the old glue/sealer off so the IHS has nothing keeping it from making full contact with the die. My 7960XE never cracks 90C even under benching/stress testing @4.6Ghz.

I

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
ok would a good 240 aio work i have the corsair 1000D and it only has a few options for cooling i have 8 120 gts up top and 3 140 fans in front i have 2 120s in back, as well, i dont think i duel 480s will work as alphacool has one but itd be around $700 at there current pricing,for a setup like that,

ok would a good 240 aio work i have the corsair 1000D and it only has a few options for cooling i have 8 120 gts up top and 3 140 fans in front i have 2 120s in back, as well, i dont think i duel 480s will work as alphacool has one but itd be around $700 at there current pricing,for a setup like that,

I don't know anything about AIOs, see if they have any ratings on them and try to get one that'll dissipate at least 500 watts and go for a mild 4.4GHz or so OC. I'm not sure any single 240 anything will cool a 7980XE, but the Corsair 1000 should have some decent cooling options. You won't really need much in the way of case fans, put rads where those multiple case fans are - I have a single 140mm exhaust on the top rear of a 900D, the only fan that's not on a radiator, all the radiators in the top section are set as intake so there's already plenty of flow.

ahh ok then i have been extremely lucky thus far with the poor N-U12A setup, ill definitely consider a custom loop then as thatd be more beneficial and most likely not need to have me experiment at gettin the ihs off,

That's why I think you probably don't need a re-lid, you are doing pretty good for the cooling you have.

Noctua has a CPU compatibility chart on their site, they don't really address the 7980XE, but list the U12 as limited OD capability on the 10980XE. So it's not like it won't work, just no really intended for a performance application on these mega CPUs - and you seem to be shooting for more of the performance end of the spectrum.

yeah i been pushing it with the endcoding i think gaming not so much as im not tryin do 4K 120hz but yeah think i need to tweak the cpu speed a bit to help the cooler manage better, i dialed it down to 4.4ghz but think further will be better ill knock it down to 4 and see if that helps anything, i repasted a month ago with thermal grizzly paste i could possibly get some liquid metal if thatd do better.

I wouldn't worry about liquid metal on the CPU lid to cooler, thermal paste is fine there. The liquid metal is for the bare die to the underside of the IHS (metal cap of the CPU), you'd only need that if doing a re-lid.

ill see what EK will do for my custom order, see if going water will help tame this inferno chip,

Back