Tweaking 6800 settings

Ghosthunter

Weaksauce
I am not a video card expert when it comes to all the settings in the driver. When I had my 9800 Pro ati, I just used default and that was it

But I started to go through all the settings and to be honest I dont have a clue what half the stuff is and if I should turn it on or off

For example:

Difference between Anistropic Optimization and Anisotropic Filtering. And under AF what should it really be at? 2x? 4x? 16x? I guess 16x is too much

What about antialising settings? What does 2xQ and 8xS mean? Since I play at 1600x1200 95% of time unless my machine cannot handle it do I really need AA?

Force Mimaps?

Trilinear Optizmations?

I guess what I am sking for I am sssuming there is a web page out there that has explained each setting and what is best for twaeking? Does anyone know one or can answer my basic questions? Thanks

Anisotropic optimization is what many affectionately call the cheating. Its not quite "full-on" aniso, but its an approximation that gives you much of the effect with little of the cost of actually doing it always all of the time. This particular method of Aniso was actually begun with ATI doing an angle-dependent version of Aniso on the R8500 to help the card keep up with the GF3/4 line. Many nVidiots complained that they were cheating, but ATI fiends were quick to argue that full-on aniso is no more "accurate" since there's no hardline requirement on how aniso has to be configured to work. But the optimization in short doesn't work at some extreme angles. You probably want the optimization as the other version exacts more of a penalty and all optimization is not bad. Keep in mind, ATI gives its users no options here. You either use the "optimized aniso" or no aniso at all. nVidia is giving you the choice. Go with either 8 or 16, whichever you choose.

2xQ is likely multisampling, which is not as full-on as supersampling, but exacts less of a penalty. nVidia uses a mix of supersampling and multisampling to help it keep up with ATI on the AA front as ATI is stuck on multisampling in a big way. There are a few things multisampling is not as good at antialiasing (removing the jaggies), but given the cost of supersampling, it may be wise to stick with multisampling if possible. Again, ATI forces you down the road of multisampling, deciding supersampling costs too much so they just won't let you have the choice.

Even 1600x1200 does have jaggies, but its your eyes. Do you see them? If not, then leave it off. If you do, then turn it on and test again. See them? No? Leave it where it is. Some idiots get stuck on having settings turned on so much they don't let their eyes actually see whats being presented as the image AND then decide if they need more.

Trilinear optimization is what nVidia got lambasted for. Their so-called brilinear setting. Many see the mix of bilinear and trilinear as marked inferior in spreading the textures outwards into the distance. So nVidia gives you the option to turn it on and off. ATI recently created their own brilinear technology, but it shows less of a penalty and has gotten less complaints either because ATI fanatics are more loyal or because they were duped into not seeing it before (the R9600XT had it), so they're unwilling to admit the cheat for what it was. (Go figure. nVidia does it; its a sin. ATI does it; its okay.) Regardless, again nVidia is giving you the choice. Turn it on or leave it off. ATI says you either like brilinear or you lump it.

Hope that helps.

Ghosthunter said:
Difference between Anistropic Optimization and Anisotropic Filtering. And under AF what should it really be at? 2x? 4x? 16x? I guess 16x is too much

Anisotropic Optimizations mean that Trilinear filtering is only applied to the first stage of Ansio. This improves performance (5-10%) but could sacrifice AF quality in some cases. For comparison to ATI drivers, this is on by default in ATI drivers unless you set the AF level to "application."

What about antialising settings? What does 2xQ and 8xS mean?

2xQ is 2x AA with Quincunx. Quincunx is a technology that slightly blurs the screen to make 2x AA look more like 4x AA at the speed for 2xAA. Most do not like the blur however, so they opt for 2x or 4x instead.

8xS is Nvidia's awesome hybrid 1x2 SuperSampling/4x Multisampling AA mode. It allows for the best quality AA you can get on any card, as it can fix aliased textures unlike multisampling. Check out this thread for some comparisons:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=775373&highlight=nv40

Since I play at 1600x1200 95% of time unless my machine cannot handle it do I really need AA?

Sure, AA can help even at higher resolutions, but it is subtle. Unless you use 8xS, but 8xS is mainly only usable at 1280x1024 in new games. Still, 1280x1024 8xS can look better than 1600x1200!

Force Mimaps?

Forces color mipmap testing for games that don't support it.

Trilinear Optizmations?

Enables a hybrid bilinear/trilinear filter when enabled (instead of full trilinear filtering when the option is disabled), often referred to as "Brilinear" - a mix of bilinear and trilinear filtering. This option improves performance (10-25%) but could sacrifice filtering quality in some cases - mipmap transitions may become more apparent, or you may see shimmering. For comparison to ATI, this option is used by default and cannot be disabled in the ATI control panel. Both ATI and Nvidia now have similar quality/speed brilinear.

I guess what I am sking for I am sssuming there is a web page out there that has explained each setting and what is best for twaeking? Does anyone know one or can answer my basic questions? Thanks

See above :) Most just use the default driver settings (ansio + triopts on), but higher quality is there if you want it. I'd use 4xAA and 8xAF for most game situations - drop down to 2xAA for a game like FarCry in 1600x1200.

Do you guys leave v-sync enabled when your playing? I've seen alot of info on v-sync lately and it seems to me if you have a CRT and it supports 85Hz or faster, i wouldn't enable it.

In games like Far Cry the fps dips well below 85 fps and if your fps does not match or exceed the refresh rate of your monitor, v-sync will cause the fps to be cut in half.

There are several threads on it over at nV News. I've been trying to look into it further.

Back