Tweakguide's Doom3 tweaking...

nst6563

2[H]4U
just wanted to FYI anyone else interested in tweaking thier D3 setup to get better perf. I looked through most of the guide (linked from the front page) and after I was done adding and editing lines in an autoexec.cfg file that I ran the game for about 2 hours and there is a very noticeable difference.

before the tweaks (yes, including the latest Humos "hack" since I have an ATI card) I was only able to run 800x600 MQ/1024x768 LQ, after the tweaks I'm able to run 1024x768 HQ w/8x AF at around 40fps. It spikes at 60 (the supposed limit put on by ID), and dips to 17 in some parts though. But at least I can play at 1024x768 HQ now. I may change it to MQ when I get into hell though.
Obviously YMMV, but I'd say that getting an average of 40fps from a 9600xt isn't too bad for about 20 minutes worth of .cfg editing.

oh, btw, the lousy 8 shots in the shotgun pissed me off....so I increased it to 12. I could have gone as high as I wanted, but didn't want to get TOO unrealistic. It's pretty simple to do, just edit the "weapon_shotgun.def" in the \base\defs folder. edit the line :
"clipSize" and change the number to whatever you want. Same works for all other weapons. I think you can also make the shotgun bullets explode like grenades...wouldn't that be interesting??? have to play with that....

"weapon_shotgun.def" in the \base\defs folder

Nice tip but I have no defs folder ?
I'm in the Hell map now and it's fantastic.
Thanks...

yeah, you can also change the number of pellets that are fired. the default is 13. However, anyone that hunts much knows that there are usually a few more than 13 pellets in a 12 gauge shell. more like a min. of 25 depending on the shot used.

in the \base\scripts folder edit the "weapon_shotgun.script" file on the line that says :
#define SHOTGUN_NUMPROJECTILES

change 13 to whatever you want. you can be crazy and put 100 in there....and then the shotgun turns into a "super weapon" b/c each one of those pellets will do the damage specified in the "weapon_shotgun.def" file.

nst6563 said:
just wanted to FYI anyone else interested in tweaking thier D3 setup to get better perf. I looked through most of the guide (linked from the front page) and after I was done adding and editing lines in an autoexec.cfg file that I ran the game for about 2 hours and there is a very noticeable difference.

I gotta ask you, can you post the contents of your autoexec.cfg? I tried all using the tweak guide and it made my screen competley black when i loaded a game. The only thing i could see was the hud. Also, if anyone has it could you post the default contents of the DoomConfig.cfg file?

BoWser said:
I gotta ask you, can you post the contents of your autoexec.cfg? I tried all using the tweak guide and it made my screen competley black when i loaded a game. The only thing i could see was the hud. Also, if anyone has it could you post the default contents of the DoomConfig.cfg file?

as requested:

seta r_displayRefresh "160"
seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
set com_videoRam "128"
set image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
set image_downSizeBump "1"
set image_downSizeLimit "512"
set image_downSize "1"
set image_useCache "1"
set image_cacheMegs "150"
set image_cacheMinK "10240"
set r_brightness "1"
set r_gamma "1.3"
set com_allowConsole "1"
set r_usePortals "1" //use portals for area culling
set image_anisotropy "16" //Anisotropic filtering level 0-20
set com_showFPS "1"
set cm_backFaceCull "1"
set com_purgeAll "1"
set r_vertexBufferMegs "48"
set r_orderIndexes "1"
set r_usePortals "1"
set r_useShadowCulling "1"
set r_useLightCulling "3"
set r_useCulling "2"
set r_useVertexBuffers "1"
set r_useStateCaching "1"

set r_useShadowProjectedCull "1"
set r_useTripleTextureARB "1"

only use the displayrefresh to your monitors ability. My monitor will go up to 180hz @ 1280x1024...but I suppose the "average" monitor will do 100hz easily @ 1024x768.

:EDIT: still can't figure out how to make the shotgun pellets explode like grenades...guess I'll try and edit a rocket launcher with the shotgun skins and spread settings....what fun :) too bad D3 takes more than just a few seconds to load (this is where I wish I had a raid)

I don't have an autoexec file. I just changed DoomConfig.cfg to suit. I wasn't sure what the Viper Lair tweak guide was talking about when they mentioned the autoexec when I didn't have one.

RickyJ said:
I don't have an autoexec file. I just changed DoomConfig.cfg to suit. I wasn't sure what the Viper Lair tweak guide was talking about when they mentioned the autoexec when I didn't have one.

you can just create an autoexec.cfg in the \base folder. D3 will "automatically" execute the commands in that file when it loads.

If anyone wants to have some baddy blasting fun... add a line to the weapon_rocketlauncher.script file like this....

#define ROCKETLAUNCHER_NUMPROJECTILES 10

if you do that, be sure to stand way back and keep the flashlight handy. it will blow up anything and everything in a medium sized room including the lights (or at least what lights there are left anyway)

works great in nightmare mode :p

Ok i think i found the problem with my autoexec.cfg. Look at this:

From Tweakguides.com r_skipUpdates [0,1] - If set to 1, lighting is not updated, meaning all lighting will become static (fixed direction and intensity). This can improve performance significantly, but reduces realism.

It made my screen completley dark because it never loaded the lights possibly. At least thats my guess because after removing r_skipUpdates 1 my config worked so.

BoWser said:
Ok i think i found the problem with my autoexec.cfg. Look at this:

It made my screen completley dark because it never loaded the lights possibly. At least thats my guess because after removing r_skipUpdates 1 my config worked so.

notice any difference?

Shane said:
anyone know which command line speeds up the rate of fire ?
you can edit the rate of fire in the weapon_<weapon name>.script files. for example, in the weapon_machinegun.script file change the line :
#define MACHINEGUN_FIRERATE 0.1 // ~10 per second

to :
#define MACHINEGUN_FIRERATE 0.05 // ~20 per second

the shotgun's firerate is 1.333. So ever 1.333 seconds, you can fire a shot. The lower this number, the faster you can shoot.

you can also basically make the machinegun a rapid firing shotgun by editing the line:
#define MACHINEGUN_NUMPROJECTILES 1

to :
#define MACHINEGUN_NUMPROJECTILES 13

this will allow you to shoot 20 rounds, 13 projectiles per round, every second. talk about devastation...

nst6563 said:
as requested:

seta r_displayRefresh "160"
seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
set com_videoRam "128"
set image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
set image_downSizeBump "1"
set image_downSizeLimit "512"
set image_downSize "1"
set image_useCache "1"
set image_cacheMegs "150"
set image_cacheMinK "10240"
set r_brightness "1"
set r_gamma "1.3"
set com_allowConsole "1"
set r_usePortals "1" //use portals for area culling
set image_anisotropy "16" //Anisotropic filtering level 0-20
set com_showFPS "1"
set cm_backFaceCull "1"
set com_purgeAll "1"
set r_vertexBufferMegs "48"
set r_orderIndexes "1"
set r_usePortals "1"
set r_useShadowCulling "1"
set r_useLightCulling "3"
set r_useCulling "2"
set r_useVertexBuffers "1"
set r_useStateCaching "1"

set r_useShadowProjectedCull "1"
set r_useTripleTextureARB "1"

Why did you use the set/seta commands? From what I gathered in the tweaks guide, they aren't needed. For example, in my AutoExec.cfg I just have "com_showConsole 1" and it still allows me to use the tilde to access the console.

I could be horribly wrong, just curious. :p

CrouchingTiger said:
Why did you use the set/seta commands? From what I gathered in the tweaks guide, they aren't needed. For example, in my AutoExec.cfg I just have "com_showConsole 1" and it still allows me to use the tilde to access the console.

I could be horribly wrong, just curious. :p

EDIT: Also, I tried most of the tweaks you are using, and didn't notice an FPS boost in the timedemo. Do the tweaks such as backFaceCull, and other tweaks that hide unseen polygons have any effect on the timedemo?

Oops, apparently I quoted myself instead of editing. I can't find the delete button. :(

I'm not sure about the timedemo. I tested it by playing through most of a level (same level before and after tweaks).
my average fps now in hell @ 1024x768 HQ 16xAF is 35-40. I do get 60fps quite often, but when the screen is full of hellions, I have noticed it drop to as low as 17 (which BLOWS).

I simply put the set/seta commands in there b/c that's the way the Doomconfig file was. It may or may not be needed...not sure.

DAmn.. game crashes on me when I use that pak000 file... right as the log starts up. I suppose I'm pulling a n00b :rolleyes:

*edit* yeah. pulled a n00b

Back