TV tuner +xbox/ps2

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
I want a TV tuner, one with the composite video input. I'm assuming I can rig my ps2 and xbox up to it, and use my PC monitor for console gaming too...However, I want to know if this will actually work properly, and if so, will there be any lag?

Thank you,
Nuzz.

Nuzzles said:
I want a TV tuner, one with the composite video input. I'm assuming I can rig my ps2 and xbox up to it, and use my PC monitor for console gaming too...However, I want to know if this will actually work properly, and if so, will there be any lag?

Thank you,
Nuzz.

if you use svideo or composite there will be a lag. but if you use a regular coaxial cable then it will run fine. i have my xbox hooked up to my pc and i do the same thing. jsut dont skimp on the tv tuner. get one that supports higher resolutions.

A.D.FIFTY said:
if you use svideo or composite there will be a lag. but if you use a regular coaxial cable then it will run fine. i have my xbox hooked up to my pc and i do the same thing. jsut dont skimp on the tv tuner. get one that supports higher resolutions.

lol, I figured a regular coaxial cable would be the one to give me lag.... :D

That's good then, means I won't have to change anything around again. Thanks.

Though, could anyone confirm this? ^_^

Also, Can I use higher resolutions on games that support them via coaxial/composite/whatever?

Also also, I'll probably be skimping a bit on a quality one...Due to having to buy other stuff. My main reason for wanting a TV tuner at the moment is that my TV is fucking up, so yeah. xD

Just another option...

I have the Viewsonic Nextvision N6, an external TV tuner. My DVR/Cable plugs into the back and so does the monitor and box. I can also plug in any Svideo, Composite Video and YPBPR video sources. My PS2 plays with no lag on my monitor.

The downside is that you really need to have two monitors if you want to surf etc while you play. I have a pair of LCDs and it works like a charm for surfing/working and watching TV/Video at the same time.

I don't seem to be able to get that over here...

And it's rather expensive. o_O

I have an old TV tuner card and for the most part there is lag. The only way you can really feel it is in fighting games. Fighting games lag is critical. But for the rest it works fine. The quality may drop a bit. I did it for over a year when I didnt have a TV.

Coaxial cable is the worst possible way to hook up anything... plus since it's going to be processed on top of that, it'll probably look like ass. :( Unless you're getting a card for the pupose of recording gameplay, I'd go with something external that will hook a system directly to the monitor via VGA. No lag, and I'm assuming you'll get the best picture quality possible. I used to use a viewsonic external tv tuner that didn't require a computer at all. I hooked up a PS2 via S-Video. In the end, the convience was nice, but the quality was lacking. The main thing was that it allowed a connection between TV, PS2, and Computer all with the push of a button. I think it was $199 years ago, I remember seeing one on eBay for around $20.

Unless quality is backseat to convience, then it should probably work fine. I'd still double check and make sure there's no lag for image processing with whatever you decide.

It's not for recording, I don't give a toss about that...

I just want to play my god damn games.... And I've got a voucer for an electronics store, so I'm going to be spending my money there....However, the selection is rather limited....Guess I could always return it if I'm not satisfied... "It iddn't work with my computer" >.>

I have no lag whatsoever through composite video with my ati tv wonder pro. I can play DDR with it...

No lag whatsoever with a TV Wonder Pro, running a SNES on RF adapter and a XBox on S-Video. But, I'm using a free program called DScaler. I DO get lag with ATI's TV program. DScaler seems to eliminate it.

Went and picked one up today.

Suprisingly, there was no lag via composite in OR going through the VCR coaxial.

Anywho, while that may've been the case, the quality was quite appauling...Seriously, my ten year old TV that's crapping out still looked at least 5x better....

Then it started restarting my computer...

So back to the shop it's going.

Think I'll just stick with spending a bit more and buying a new TV.

Dudeitsme: Oddly enough, the program that was supplied had no lag, but DScalder did. :p

Nuzzles said:
Went and picked one up today.

Suprisingly, there was no lag via composite in OR going through the VCR coaxial.

Anywho, while that may've been the case, the quality was quite appauling...Seriously, my ten year old TV that's crapping out still looked at least 5x better....

Then it started restarting my computer...

So back to the shop it's going.

Think I'll just stick with spending a bit more and buying a new TV.

Dudeitsme: Oddly enough, the program that was supplied had no lag, but DScalder did. :p
Well it sounds like Tekara knows more about it than me, I just know what's working for me right now. What's not working, is ATI's Multimedia Center.

Back