TV tuner card - Recording at specific times?

Riveninside

Weaksauce
Remeber the old days where people would set the timer on the VCR and record their favorite shows to watch when they got home?? "Oh my god! i can't miss what happens on dawsons creek!" :p
SO! i was curious, is there a program out there that works with a TV tuner card (or specific card) that will let me do that onto my hard drive at specific times? (automatically change the channel on the TV tuner card at the specific time and start recording and stop recording at the specific time)

TIA!

BTW whats a good cheaper TV tuner card?

you can get a pvr-150 for bout 50 bucks or so...

as far as recording at a specific time I'm sure any of the bundled software will be able to do that. i know mce does it but you're not looking for a full solution, but I'm sure there is a free software out there that will...maybe that program yahoo bought that used to be meedio, i forgot the name.

PVR-150 is one of the better cards for not much cash. You'll want to use something like SageTV or BeyondTV 4. I personally prefer BeyondTV.

Many people build HTPCs (home theater PCs) as a new addition to their home theater setup; it allows you to for example rip your entire collection of DVDs to your HTPC and have Tivo features without a monthly subscription.

do you just want it to record at a specific time or do you want full pvr functionality? If you just want something that, say "at 9 o clock record for 30 minutes" then you dont need to purchase sage or BTV. If you want something that has a schedule of shows and much broader functionality then you may want to look at these options, but if all you want is VCR functionality (set time, record) then you can most likely do this with a free option.

Back