TV Sets Are Starting to Disappear from American Homes

I haven't owned a "tv" in years. Computers have taken it's place. HDhomerun for cabletv viewing, Netflix/Amazon Prime for movies. My desktop with a large moniter and surroud sound for primary viewing, wireless tablet for secondary viewing anywhere from the bedroom to the garage. TV sets almost feel restrictive anymore.

I'm the exact opposite of that poll, currently have 6 TV's and one projector (granted one TV is just used as a digital poster but it's still a TV).

I haven't owned a "tv" in years. Computers have taken it's place. HDhomerun for cabletv viewing, Netflix/Amazon Prime for movies. My desktop with a large moniter and surroud sound for primary viewing, wireless tablet for secondary viewing anywhere from the bedroom to the garage. TV sets almost feel restrictive anymore.

So, when you have 6-8 friends over, how do you all watch the Super Bowl? Or if you, the wife, and the kids want to watch a movie? Just a couple examples where the phone/tablet experience falls down, IMO.

Granted, it may also have something to do with more Americans staying single and staying single longer. If I didn't have a wife and kids, I could kind of see myself consuming more on individual screens or a desktop system with a large monitor... maybe.

So, when you have 6-8 friends over, how do you all watch the Super Bowl? Or if you, the wife, and the kids want to watch a movie? Just a couple examples where the phone/tablet experience falls down, IMO.

Granted, it may also have something to do with more Americans staying single and staying single longer. If I didn't have a wife and kids, I could kind of see myself consuming more on individual screens or a desktop system with a large monitor... maybe.

It really all started off as an easy way for me to throw something on in the background while doing other things. The second monitor on the computer while I play games, tablet in the garage while fixing things, heck, even the phone while on the can! Eventually, nobody used the TVs at all because they were doing the same, so the TVs were sold and never replaced during my last move. At the house; TV-less dinner, board games, etc are more the norm for family time. TV anymore has become something to do when you want some "me" time and I've been pretty happy to facilitate it being that way.

Watching a good movie on a tiny screen is retarded. Only kids who can't afford a home theater set up or have some deficiency watch movies on their phones.

Staring with my first TV that I bought with my own money (that didn't come from a garage sale), I have always sought to go bigger and better. Back in the 90's, bigger didn't really mean better but I did it anyway, and I regret 2 rear projection big ass TV purchases that I would like an "undo" on. But now, $500 gets you a decent 50"+ HDTV and probably some kind of sound system that looks and sounds better than the $2000 monsters I paid for.

But then again, if I was 21 again (and broke) WOULD I drop big money again on such a setup? Maybe not, when you can do everything on a laptop and everyone has a laptop or tablet now. I would NOT be staring at my phone as a primary screen, but I could see a poor, young version of me using a laptop.

But a teenager version of me, now? Yeah... I'd probably live on that phone instead of watching TV with mom/etc. Considering what teenage me dropped on C64 gear from burger flipping money, you can get a decent laptop for $300 now.

But NOW? I work on computers all day and I get sick of sitting in front of them at night, I like to plop down and watch big screen HD shows/movies.

This was me from ~2003 when I graduated college until about 2008 when I met my first wife.

I saw no need for, and didn't have the time for TV. I was either going out with friends or keeping busy in my computer.

I wasn't completely TV free though. I had this little 13" tube TV from a Walgreens sale, which I never used. I had it hooked up because I couldn't get cable internet without basic TRAINING , and figured why not. I guess I watched the occasional game on it, but not more than once or twice.

These days I've fallen off the wagon, with a 65" Panny Plasma and a HT surround system...

2017-07-31_07-54-54.jpg

I guess what I am trying to say is that people come around over time, and not to count TV out quite yet.

Young people go out more and entertain themselves in other ways, and many young millennials are still trying to recover from the financial crisis, and in many cases don't even have their own apartments, let alone the resources to buy TV's they don't need.

As they get a little older, things might change.

People who use mobile devices primarily are probably living in their tech bubble i.e. they don't know how much they miss on using the tiny screen and the tiny speakers.

For me a 65" 4k tv + LSR305s and 120" white screen with full ht setup is something I could never ever trade for a cell phone lol.

Good audio is a huge chunk of the experience!

Back