TV Out Quality of X800?

FallOutBoyTonto

Weaksauce
Just wondering what the image quality is for the TV out for them X800 cards, Pro or XT-PE. Currently have 9800XT and the TV out quality isn't perfect. Sure ATi is king of IQ on releguar displays, but their TV out quality leaves much to hope for. I haven't read anything about the TV out quality yet on them new cards.

I can't even watch a movie on the TV that is played on my computer, using S-Video directly from card to TV, horizontal white lines always show up and that annoys me so I end up watching DVD's on my small computer monitor instead of my big TV. :( Thought I'd use my PC as home theatre too, DVD's, 5.1 sound, PVR, but want good TV out quality. Can anyone inform me?

horizontal white lines sound like an artifact ( and your not talking letterbox edging right? ) Can you test on something else? or test the s-video TV input from something else.
You should ditch lame res s-video and go component or DVI if your big TV supports it.

My TV supports component video but I'll need an adapter that I don't have. So for now I guess I'll try using a different cable or something.

FallOutBoyTonto said:
Just wondering what the image quality is for the TV out for them X800 cards, Pro or XT-PE. Currently have 9800XT and the TV out quality isn't perfect. Sure ATi is king of IQ on releguar displays, but their TV out quality leaves much to hope for. I haven't read anything about the TV out quality yet on them new cards.

I can't even watch a movie on the TV that is played on my computer, using S-Video directly from card to TV, horizontal white lines always show up and that annoys me so I end up watching DVD's on my small computer monitor instead of my big TV. :( Thought I'd use my PC as home theatre too, DVD's, 5.1 sound, PVR, but want good TV out quality. Can anyone inform me?

Are the white lines static or moving?

Buy a component cable, its worth the money. You have spent all that money on the tv, pc spend 50 bucks and buy the right cable.

I asked this same question on Rage3D and got a suggestion to unplug the regular cable tv cable and try again. I tried and the moving horizontal white lines were gone. :D So I was getting interference from the cable tv signal I guess. But removing all other connections worked. Thanks anyway, and I'll be getting an adapter soon to see if the quality will get any better.

I am having a similar problem with moving horizontal white lines with my tv-out. I agree that something might not be grounded correctly. I have tried multiple video cards and have the same problem. I disconnected all other devices in the pc (with the exception of the CPU fan) and I still have the same problem. The wierd thing is that I have a laptop that I can connect with the same s-video cable and I get no interference...everything looks fine.

So something is definitely causing the interference within the PC. Any ideas on how I can narrow down which part is not grounded correctly? Could it be the motherboard?

thx.

Back