Tv or monitor for gaming

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys. I am thinking of buying a new display for my desktop PC on building. Would it be better to go with an LG monitor or would it be better to go with a 40-inch TV? What do you guys think the best would be for both? I don't want to spend more than six to eight hundred. Thank you. Oh and I should mention this is strictly for gaming. Thanks.

I personally would go with a good monitor with 144Hz refresh.

43s405 43" 4k TV from TCL. Best purchase I've made for the computer in a long time. Display is incredible. Input lag rivals that of many dedicated gaming monitors. It's a 60hz VA panel. I'm sure if I had $1000 to drop on some high end gaming display it would be better, but for $250 you really can't go wrong.

I don't even have a high end setup 3770k and a 980ti and what I can't run smooth enough to my liking in 4k I just drop to 1440p (Pubg for example, and it looks good enough to me)

It's almost like the designers of this thing forgot they were making a TV until the final moments and slapped on a TV based UI cause it runs like a champ as a PC display.

I've never understood why PC monitors are soooooo flipping expensive compared to TVs. I mean cripes for $250 your not even tickling a decent PC monitor for that price. Your mostly looking at 1080p maybe some lower end 1440p displays.

Last edited:
How is that TV at playing at 1080p resolution? Any blurriness? Any problem with HDR and 4:4:4? Can TVs right now do 444 at 10bit? 10 bit is needed for HDR right? How does that work?

Last edited:
How is that TV at playing at 1080p resolution? Any blurriness? Any problem with HDR and 4:4:4? Can TVs right now do 444 at 10bit? 10 bit is needed for HDR right? How does that work?
If you're interested in HDR then the TCL R617 is the better choice, as it has FALD. The S405 only has full-frame dimming, or "HDR Ready" functionality. Input lag is slightly worse than the S405, and sizes start at 55". But the price of the 55" is within your budget. Both support full chroma in PC mode. The panel supports 10-bit color using 8-bit with dithering as most panels do these days.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

Outside of that, what are you looking for in a display? Is variable or high refresh rate important to you? Do you want to be able to use HDR in the games that support it on PC?

43s405 43" 4k TV from TCL. Best purchase I've made for the computer in a long time. Display is incredible. Input lag rivals that of many dedicated gaming monitors. It's a 60hz VA panel. I'm sure if I had $1000 to drop on some high end gaming display it would be better, but for $250 you really can't go wrong.

I don't even have a high end setup 3770k and a 980ti and what I can't run smooth enough to my liking in 4k I just drop to 1440p (Pubg for example, and it looks good enough to me)

It's almost like the designers of this thing forgot they were making a TV until the final moments and slapped on a TV based UI cause it runs like a champ as a PC display.

I've never understood why PC monitors are soooooo flipping expensive compared to TVs. I mean cripes for $250 your not even tickling a decent PC monitor for that price. Your mostly looking at 1080p maybe some lower end 1440p displays.
I am having trouble finding a 27" IPS, 144hz, 1440p monitor since vendors in Canada are not able or willing to get them for some reason. There's a few on newegg.com, though. Therefore, I started looking at the TCL 43" 43S425-CA which is the newer version of the 405 - I believe the 'changes' are all just cosmetic, though. Maybe, there's a different stand and a few cosmetic modifications but it's virtually the same internally, I think. It's good you like it because I was thinking of getting a 4K TV for viewing online content - netflix, video streaming, youtube etc. I am used to it on a 32" TV and although I can live with it on a 27" monitor - I was going to use a 27" for gaming and general desktop/OS use.
However, the TV here is $400 CAD but that's a decent price for a 4K TV here which garners decent reviews from people/reviewers.

Back