TV More Important To Kids Than PCs and Games

I think this is way off. My 13 year old neice does indeed spend hours upon hours in front of the tv, but watching she is not. She is on her laptop with facebook, tumblr, twitter and has her friends texting her on her cell phone too. Computing media > TV media.

They do stuff with the television on, I agree. My sister used to do her homework with the television on.

They do stuff with the television on, I agree. My sister used to do her homework with the television on.

All children do that. The trick is to tell them not to and stick by your gun. Our 12 year old frequently try to sneak some television time into her homework time, but if we catch her, she'll get some tongue lashing.

All children do that. The trick is to tell them not to and stick by your gun. Our 12 year old frequently try to sneak some television time into her homework time, but if we catch her, she'll get some tongue lashing.

If the only cost of her sneaking TV is a "tongue lashing" then she's going to do this "frequently."

Do you see a problem?

If the only cost of her sneaking TV is a "tongue lashing" then she's going to do this "frequently."

Do you see a problem?

Uh, no. She sneaks in television time because she's home nearly two hours before both of us get home from work. Not because of what we tell her or don't tell her. When the cats are away... you know how the saying goes, I think.

I hardly watch TV, but I watched a lot when I was a tween. TV shows are just too stupid (lowest common denominator) and redundant (same plot over and over) to hold much of my attention, these days. And, their efforts to shock viewers doesn't score any points with me, either. I like cheesecake, but not crassness.

I can see this being right on. Tv is a great pacifire. Why listen to a kid scream when they can watch a cartoon over and over again to keep them occupied?

I didn't have cable in my room until I was 12 so before that I was only able to watch TV after school or Saturday mornings. When I had cable in my room the TV was on most of the time, but I rarely watched it. It would be on while I was on my computer, reading, doing homework, playing with friends, or whatever else it was just background noise.

Same, it's mostly background noise for me, I only watch 3 shows which my DVR usually takes care of.

Game of Thrones
Spartacus
The Walking Dead

other than that, I pay $145/month for 1-2 hours of entertainment :|

I watched a few shows when I was younger, but for the most part computers and games took up my time if I wasn't outside getting into trouble. Still carries on to today. :D

I hardly watch TV, but I watched a lot when I was a tween.

Same here, which is part of the reason why I find this study believable. What a lot of people need to understand is simple context: Most parents can control computer access and games, attach rules or stipulations for access, or they're the sole owners of the computer (e.g.: a work provided laptop) and video game system (e.g.: it's in the bedroom, not the living room) or can't afford one (to borrow a phrase from O Brother, Where Art Thou?: "They got this Depression on," and gas and food take priority over any irrational want for a gaming console).

Television and music is still fairly accessible and unrestricted, and with parents usually away at work longer than their kids are at home alone, they interact with the entertainment device available to them. Most of my TV watching happened between the hours of 3 and 6PM during the week because my mom was still at work, and I would watch more after my homework was done and I was through with dinner. I really didn't get to play video games until my late teens when I bought my first console, and that obviously ate into TV watching time. I had a DiscMan since I was 13, and I'm sure there are plenty of cheap MP3 players out there that parents buy their kids these days.

Teens also don't tend to watch movies by themselves like adults do; usually they wait for social occasions or just watch a television broadcast.

Just my hunch based off of my lower middle-class and not-so-distant-as-to-be-irrelevant childhood. What I'm curious about is there's nothing in the graph that mentions cell phone, smart phone, or tablet usage. I suppose that's due to the age of the data being used, but it would still be interesting to know where that registers.

Left to their own devices I am sure more kids would be spending more time on the computer or playing games than watching TV. Parental control is a bitch.

Kids wouldn't spend nearly 11 hours a day on TV, PC and stuff if they went to school...

I only watch TV now when Im eating. And only 3 or 4 shows, Daily Show/Colbert Report/South Park/ Futurama. Thats it.
Rest of the time on PC 24/7

What about if you watch tv on your computer... ? Like from online streaming websites(legal). I wonder how this study would alot that time. As both computer and tv or just tv?

Wow, noticed there was no section for 'Outdoor Activity/Play'! Kind of disturbing not to see that. Back when I was a kid, very little kept me inside.Don't get me wrong, I spent time with PC's and video games, but being outside was the #1 thing with me and about 99% of all the other kids in the neighborhood.

Most kids now just use the internet for facebook. They don't even use email anymore.

What's wrong with watching TV while you do things like homework? I think I saw a post to the effect that one had to put ones foot down on things like that. Granted if the kid is having trouble in school it might not be a good idea, but if they're getting their homework done and making good grades why should it matter?

I'm curious, not trying to be argumentative.

What about if you watch tv on your computer... ? Like from online streaming websites(legal). I wonder how this study would alot that time. As both computer and tv or just tv?

Streaming websites are horsecrap.

Ill take a hardware HDTV tuner over that any day of the week.

not with my son hed give up tv in a sec for pc or ps3 games hes hooked on skyrim right now

not with my son hed give up tv in a sec for pc or ps3 games hes hooked on skyrim right now

did you watch too much tv too as a child because your sentence is in dire need of punctuation and capitalization fewer run-ons too ah well nobodys perfect just dont tutor your son with his english homework

:D

My stepson does practically nothing with his free time other than video games. Only time he ever watches TV is when we feel he's had enough for a day, and tell him to turn it off.

Otherwise he's on the silly Xbox thing in "parties" with his friends at the same time as he's on facebook on his computer...

Uh, no. She sneaks in television time because she's home nearly two hours before both of us get home from work. Not because of what we tell her or don't tell her. When the cats are away... you know how the saying goes, I think.

Password Lock, time to get rid of the CRT

Password Lock, time to get rid of the CRT

It's not that big of an issue to warrant a hassle for other viewers in the house. She does her homework. Just some days later than others. She's a good listener, but then we're also good parents, rewarding good grades and disciplining bad behavior.

Back