TV/Monitor for Docking Powerbook G4

JulesBravo

Weaksauce
I've been looking around for a TV or Monitor I could use to dock my G4. The only problem is that I'm really not sure exactly what it needs to be docked, and what cables I need to dock it. I basically want something that I can use as a TV and a Monitor. So it has to be at least 23". Any reccomendations? I've got about $700 to spend.

I know LCD is out of the question. On a different note, I don't mind refurb. The real information I need to know is what ports are needed on the TV, and what type of cable I need to connect the powerbook to the TV. Also, that monitor you listed did not have TV capabilities.

Would this work? Is this good? Good price?
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=91174

Ahh I was thinking more of PC where you can just get a video card with a TV tuner. I didn't realize this topic was in the Apple forum.

Even so, TV tuner cards usually suck. If you can reccomend a good one we might actually have a solution.

The EyeTV series of tv tuners are pretty good, a little costly, but they work well. Hauppauge makes some for the mac as well, however I haven't see how well they work.

The powerbook has several cables that you can connect to various monitors and tvs. You can use RCA (component), Svideo, DVI, and VGA. So whatever display you end up using should have at least one of those. DVI and VGA will be the best quality, Svideo will come up next, followed by Component RCA last. The cable you can use depends on the plug. But if you end up using Svideo, there's a nice Monster Cable that gives you Svideo as well as the minijack to component adapter as well for your audio.

That TV looks pretty good.. at least from the comments and what it seems to have. I've not seen one in person so I couldn't tell you from experience.. The price also looks good for what you're getting, then again it's been a long time since I shopped for a TV. (I just went with a 20" cinema display a while back and got a capture card in my desktop).

JulesBravo said:
Sorry, that link doesn't work.
Oops... Anyway... I was looking at the cable that connects to your PowerBook and outputs to any TV with A/V input. TV-Out dongle. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to do.

Back