TV Contributes More to Obesity Than Computers And Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
I would like you all to give a big round of applause to the TV for taking the heat off computers and video games. :D

Rich is the director of the Center on Media and Child Health at the Children's Hospital and an associate professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. "Big picture, it's not how much time any screen is on. It's what screen is on, what content is on that screen and what else is my child doing while absorbing that content."

Don't forget though, if you play videogames all day you're still really anti-social and probably going to murder someday. If you watch TV all day you're still a normal, non-violent person with friends. So TV still has that going for it.

It's true... I mean even though I know all those fast food restaurants sell shitty burgers that more likely than not help clean your colon in record time, the way they show the fake "show" burgers on TV makes me crave.

Now if someone can only get their TV to go on a killing spree, then gamers will be all set.

People just need to stop eating televisions. Just because they're flat doesn't mean they don't have calories — just look at crêpes.

Don't forget though, if you play videogames all day you're still really anti-social and probably going to murder someday. If you watch TV all day you're still a normal, non-violent person with friends. So TV still has that going for it.

But murdering people is still a physical activity. So is creepy stalking people behavior of pc gamers, and whining burns lots of calories. :D

well....
To hear it from certain politicians, obesity is caused by softdrinks (but only if it's larger than a certain size).

no one ever considers the non-digestible crap being put into food

Obesity is caused by creating a surplus of calories from your daily intake consistently for a long duration.

/thread

well....
To hear it from certain politicians, obesity is caused by softdrinks (but only if it's larger than a certain size).

no one ever considers the non-digestible crap being put into food

..wut?

Anyways, I have to deal with quite a few people often who don't watch a lot of tv but are so overweight that they can't even jog a mile. Their problem, as is with most is the size of their meals. Sure they order salads, with an ultra large sweet tea, fryed chicken and extra dressing.

I'm not sure what it was that I said that throws you guys off so much.

I was overweight once. Almost hit 300 lbs. I sat there with my fat self and thought about how I got this way. My mind started to wander for reasons why - "Am I depressed?" "Maybe I just really love food?" "Will I get diabetes?" and then it hit me. There's no excuse, I just simply eat more than I work off. So I was like fuck it, I'm gonna work off more than I eat. I cold turkey'd it from eating whenever and however much I wanted to 3 cans of tuna a day and then I started walking the nearby bike trail, albeit slowly at first and for very short distances. And I didn't accessorise the whole ordeal or anything like that either. The jogging pants? jogging shoes? I said fuck those. I wasn't looking for 'products' or 'tips' on how to lose weight, those didn't matter, it was about doing it that mattered. There my fat ass was on the bike trail walking it in thick jeans, a full coat, multiple shirts and a beanie walking while all these skinny guys on road bikes rode past, sometimes grinning. Yeah yeah, you can grin now, but I'll still be here in 6 months in the rain, snow, and ice, get used to me. When I started, I got blisters on my feet because they weren't used to standing up for more than a few minutes. Eventually the blisters faded and my feet adapted to the new environment. After a month or two (I started off at around 285lbs) I did my first 'jog' which consisted of going in between these 2 signs that were about 100 feet apart. I did that once while walking to the halfway point of the trail, and once on the way back. I then increased it from the sign to the barn that was an additional 50 feet away. Then from the barn to the grassy area another 100 feet away, and on and on. This proceeded for a few months until I jogged half of the whole trail. After that I knew that I told myself I won't ever jog any less than atleast half of it before resting, and I haven't since.

After about 30lbs or so I started easing off just 3 cans of tuna and added a more nutritious diet full of more calories. I would walk by magazines, stuff titled, "I just lost 10 lbs!" and such and just kind of laugh. "Do these types of crunches to lose belly fat fast!". Everyone wants you to buy their product or insist you do it their way. Fuck em. It's not about technique, or a product, or a drug, it's just about doing it. The massive sweat and the dinner afterwards is the reward. Find the motivation to do something that you enjoy and do it alot.

It's been 11 months now, and those peaceful and quiet times on the trail have allowed me to see: deer, snakes, turtles, turkeys, hawks, frogs, a mole, a bunch of dogs, cats and so on. Oh and I lost 105 lbs too, a nice bonus. :)

I was overweight once. Almost hit 300 lbs. I sat there with my fat self and thought about how I got this way. My mind started to wander for reasons why - "Am I depressed?" "Maybe I just really love food?" "Will I get diabetes?" and then it hit me. There's no excuse, I just simply eat more than I work off. So I was like fuck it, I'm gonna work off more than I eat. I cold turkey'd it from eating whenever and however much I wanted to 3 cans of tuna a day and then I started walking the nearby bike trail, albeit slowly at first and for very short distances. And I didn't accessorise the whole ordeal or anything like that either. The jogging pants? jogging shoes? I said fuck those. I wasn't looking for 'products' or 'tips' on how to lose weight, those didn't matter, it was about doing it that mattered. There my fat ass was on the bike trail walking it in thick jeans, a full coat, multiple shirts and a beanie walking while all these skinny guys on road bikes rode past, sometimes grinning. Yeah yeah, you can grin now, but I'll still be here in 6 months in the rain, snow, and ice, get used to me. When I started, I got blisters on my feet because they weren't used to standing up for more than a few minutes. Eventually the blisters faded and my feet adapted to the new environment. After a month or two (I started off at around 285lbs) I did my first 'jog' which consisted of going in between these 2 signs that were about 100 feet apart. I did that once while walking to the halfway point of the trail, and once on the way back. I then increased it from the sign to the barn that was an additional 50 feet away. Then from the barn to the grassy area another 100 feet away, and on and on. This proceeded for a few months until I jogged half of the whole trail. After that I knew that I told myself I won't ever jog any less than atleast half of it before resting, and I haven't since.

After about 30lbs or so I started easing off just 3 cans of tuna and added a more nutritious diet full of more calories. I would walk by magazines, stuff titled, "I just lost 10 lbs!" and such and just kind of laugh. "Do these types of crunches to lose belly fat fast!". Everyone wants you to buy their product or insist you do it their way. Fuck em. It's not about technique, or a product, or a drug, it's just about doing it. The massive sweat and the dinner afterwards is the reward. Find the motivation to do something that you enjoy and do it alot.

It's been 11 months now, and those peaceful and quiet times on the trail have allowed me to see: deer, snakes, turtles, turkeys, hawks, frogs, a mole, a bunch of dogs, cats and so on. Oh and I lost 105 lbs too, a nice bonus. :)

That is probably one of the best posts I've read on this forum in a long time. The way you gradually moved up in distance and worked your way into jogging is great. I do that with my distance running but it's like with anything, once you set small and large goals and DO IT then you'll be fine. I'm glad you're doing well brother, keep it up.

OCZ SSD too! (that case is like a mini museum of bad drives :p):D

Funny you say that, this SSD (a 1st gen) and the PSU have been going strong since 2010 and 2011, the RAM has been in use since 2007, and the Velociraptors have yet to give me one issue.

As much as I dislike OCZ, I can't deny the fact that both the RAM, and the SSD, have been through multiple systems and OSes before this one.
The brand may completely suck, but until the hardware dies, that's how I roll! :D

BS...computers at home and work lead to sever laziness.

It's the way people have been socially programmed. Think about all the commercials on TV (ironically enough) that depict other people sitting in front of their TV or in a movie theater with mass amounts of junk food spread out and being consumed. It's now almost a normal mental association to need chips, dips, popcorn, candy, soda pop, alcoholic beverages...pretty much any food and drinks that are very high in calories, saturated fat, sodium, carbohydrates, and so on. And then consume them in large quantities for an extended duration.

When you are playing a video game, you are way more mentally and physically occupied (keyboard/mouse, controller, etc) and therefore spend those extended periods of time NOT consuming all that junk.

It's the way people have been socially programmed. Think about all the commercials on TV (ironically enough) that depict other people sitting in front of their TV or in a movie theater with mass amounts of junk food spread out and being consumed. It's now almost a normal mental association to need chips, dips, popcorn, candy, soda pop, alcoholic beverages...pretty much any food and drinks that are very high in calories, saturated fat, sodium, carbohydrates, and so on. And then consume them in large quantities for an extended duration.

That's disgusting.

The reality is that neither TV nor video games are to blame for obesity.

Have a look at pictures of your extended family from the 50's and 60's. Do you see *any* fat people in them? As a sweeping generalization the answer to that is NO. Have a look at the females. Any fat females? NO.

Why not? In those times females were largely sedentary. Not like it was prudent for a female to go to the gym or be out on the street jogging, yet they weren't plumpers. Why not? No TV, no video games?

The problem also isn't sugary soda or potato chips. All soda was sugary in the 50's and 60's, although people did likely consume less of it.

Still, the fact is that all of a sudden, in a mere 50-60 years, Americans have gotten fat across the board. Why?

You want to know the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Hybridization and genetic manipulation of grains, wheat in particular, created a wheat that is extremely profitable, but making us fat. Wheat is in a lot of products these days. The government says to eat your bread, the American Heart Association says to eat Whole Wheat bread.

Did you know that the glycemic index which provides a measure of how quickly blood sugar levels (i.e. levels of glucose in the blood) rise after eating a particular type of food of whole wheat bread can be as high as 87, depending on manufacturer.

Do you know what the glycemic index of Sucrose (granulated table sugar) is? 65 or lower, depending on manufacturer.

Two slices of whole wheat bread hit your body with more glucose than two teaspoons of table sugar would.

How did that happen? Didn't people eat wheat for thousands of years and didn't get fat? Yes, indeed they did. The wheat we eat today has nothing in common with the wheat of 1,000 years ago. In fact, it has little to nothing in common to the wheat your parents ate just a mere 50 years ago.

The original wheat (einkorn) from way back when had only 8 chromosomes. When your mom and dad created a hybrid out of their chromosomes (you), your chromosome count is the same that your mom or dad have. In plants, hybridization has an additive effect on chromosomes, so when you create a hybrid from two wheat strains you end up with double the number of chromosomes.

In humans, a change to a *single* chromosome determines gender. What does a change of dozens of chromosomes do to wheat?

Then genetics took over and started to manipulate individual genes, or even insert genes not originally present. Disturbances around the insertion site lead to unintended consequences where modern wheat now has protein and gluten that has never existed in wheat before and cannot be digested by humans because our enzymes are not made to digest those protein chains.

Rambling on for too long already. The point is, there is no such thing as healthy wheat (contrary to what the government's food pyramid, the USDA, and the American Heart Association tells you).

Do your own research and you will find that many foods you consume today have wheat in them, even if it isn't actually bread. Today's wheat is literally the devil and it's making you and your kids sick and fat.

Check out Wheat Belly by W. Davis as a light read about wheat and go from there. Your local library will likely have it probably even as electronic checkout.

I'll actually agree with Thuleman here, people should not eat grains of any form. Wheat or otherwise.

And don't forget to read Dentures, The Devil and the Great Cavity Cover-Up by Jay Phillip Higginbottom. If you'd seen what I'd seen, and if you've heard what I've heard, you'd never brush your teeth again.

And don't forget to read Dentures, The Devil and the Great Cavity Cover-Up by Jay Phillip Higginbottom. If you'd seen what I'd seen, and if you've heard what I've heard, you'd never brush your teeth again.

I was actually being serious. Cereal grains never have a net positive gain when it comes to human metabolism.

That is probably one of the best posts I've read on this forum in a long time. The way you gradually moved up in distance and worked your way into jogging is great. I do that with my distance running but it's like with anything, once you set small and large goals and DO IT then you'll be fine. I'm glad you're doing well brother, keep it up.

It really is about just doing it. Glad you liked it. It helps to have a peaceful place to do it where you can kind of look around and observe nature while doing your jog. Another thing that helps keep you motivated is having someone you know go with you and keep pushing yourselves together. I had my brother go with me. I think he was at risk of diabetes, as he topped off at about 299 lbs before we sUser Nametarted. I was 285. Throughout these 11 months he lost 120 lbs and me 105 lbs.

When you just start doing something you're not used to though your body will beg you to stop. I remember going from eating many thousands of calories a day to just 3 cans of tuna and my body was like "Dude, wtf you doin, we're gonna die!" and I was just thinking "Im 285 and mostly all fat. Fat is reserves, so take from my reserves then.". For the first few weeks the body is like "Alright fuck it, this dude wants to die.", but nah. Still alive and QUITE healthy and fit now. I had no energy when I started but I still pushed and pushed and eventually I'll get to the point where I'm at now, where my body is completely adapted around to what i'm doing and eating. It'll be dinner time and I'll feel like I can eat a cow, but when i'm actually finished eating (boca burger sandwich, protein bar, ovaltine) I feel "full" and content. It's weird, but it just goes to show you the body adapts to whatever you do and resists change for as long as possible, but over time it will adapt again to whatever you do. It ALWAYS adapts. ALWAYS. It's just hard to "change" but if you keep pushing yourself you'll break through the resistance.

Thuleman, you bring up some good points regarding past vs present, but remember: in the 50's and 60's, most US homes didn't have so much as a single television, and those that did maybe had 1-5 channels, a very limited selection of regularly scheduled programs, no DVR, and a television was expensive to both buy and operate/maintain. Society wasn't at the point of "gatherin' 'round the tellie" for extended periods of time nor was there a mass availability of a figurative cornucopia of inexpensive unhealthy junk foods and drinks fully stocked up and down every isle of every grocery store or the plethora of restaraunt brands/chains across the nation.

Aside from high availability of shitty food/beverages and widespread use of genetically altered plant products/grains in said shitty food/beverages nowadays, there have been studies that prove that people (especially in the US) are much more inclined to eat (and overeat, at that) while watching television or visiting a movie theater. The social programming that has bombarded all of us over the decades also strongly plays on "bigger is better"...supersized fast food value meals contaning 1/3 pound burger with double the cheese plus bacon and 1 lb of french fries, 64oz fountain drink and 2 gallon bucket of buttered popcorn combo, king size candy bars, hell, the list could go on damn near indefinitely. And we have all of this available to us at every store at every street corner, bus stops, train stations, airports, malls, rest stops with vending machines, even fucking book stores have junk food cafes!

I'd argue that they're nutritionally vacuous and high-glycemic, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're "more bad than good". I'd like to see the information you've been looking at that suggests wheat is any more sinister than that.

I'm not sure it matters, though: we're talking about obesity. Obesity is a function of over-consumption and under-exertion, not of the consumption of foods that should be consumed instead of others for their nutritional richness and lower glycemic index. Suffice it to say, though, that you really don't want to be the guy who agrees with with the guy who says that wheat is "the devil" and what we need to blame for child illness and obesity, even if what you're agreeing with is only tangential.

Back