TV Card for low profile HTPC case

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
When I move next month, I'm either going to be getting FiOS or DirecTV (with HD of course). I also have a low profile HTPC case in which, besides movies, I want to be able to have a TV card that will be able to control the FiOS/DTV box so that I can record a channel. My problem is that I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this. The FiOS and DTV boxes have HDMI and component out, so if I go with something like this:
http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
I can use the component on my box to that and the HDMI to my TV, but that still doesn't allow me to select a show I want to watch and my HTPC will automatically wake up, record the show after changing the channel, and go back to sleep when finished. Does anyone know how I can accomplish what Im wanting?

Edit: So maybe its not so much a TV Tuner card, but an way of trying to get this combined so that I can either do one of two things:

1) Use the FiOS/DTV box to record something

2) Use my HTPC to control the box (pref with MediaPortal) and record something to my HTPC.

Thanks.

Last edited:
When I move next month, I'm either going to be getting FiOS or DirecTV (with HD of course). I also have a low profile HTPC case in which, besides movies, I want to be able to have a TV card that will be able to control the FiOS/DTV box so that I can record a channel. My problem is that I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this. The FiOS and DTV boxes have HDMI and component out, so if I go with something like this:
http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
I can use the component on my box to that and the HDMI to my TV, but that still doesn't allow me to select a show I want to watch and my HTPC will automatically wake up, record the show after changing the channel, and go back to sleep when finished. Does anyone know how I can accomplish what Im wanting?

Edit: So maybe its not so much a TV Tuner card, but an way of trying to get this combined so that I can either do one of two things:

1) Use the FiOS/DTV box to record something

2) Use my HTPC to control the box (pref with MediaPortal) and record something to my HTPC.

Thanks.

I would run a quick search on avsforum on this. I have been doing tons of research myself on using a tuner card with cable(which you cant unfortunately). They have tons of info there.

From my limited understanding it all depends on if the signal is encripted. If it is not you may be able to bypass the box itself and use whatever front end on your HTPC to watch your shows, or run a splitter to the line and just have two diff inputs into your reciever or TV.

In my case I can record *some* shows off a cable line just not any that are encripted (which are the premuim and HD ones)

I just purchased this product and I think you might be interested in this link

http://dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1203&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

this is for Windows 7 Media Center, but that site could likely help you get it working with media portal as well.

I have the HDPVR connected to a FiOS QIP6200 via component and optical audio with 7MC. Channel changing using firewire with channel.exe Great alternative to cable card. Gets live tv and recording. They say when the software is final it will support up to 4 HDPVRs.

Cool thing about the FiOS boxes - they output ClearQam local channels and sometimes even other channels (theres a couple places that get ESPN in the clear) through the coax out. It's different depending on where you live.

Back