Turtle Beach PX5's - Need to config an RF Amp/hack - suggestions?

The1stCAV

[H]ard|Gawd
I am sure what I want to do is not impossible, it just probably would take a much smarter person than I that knows RF and amplifiers to point me in the right direction. Electrically I can build just about anything if I have a plan to do so. Knowing what to buy is the issue here. So I am asking the great people on [H] for some advice if anyone knows how to boost an RF signal.

I have a set of PX5 headphones that are so close to solving all my communication issues with my PC. Yes I know they were made for the PS3/XBX, but these work great on the PC as well. I have them functional and everything is fine, just the reason I purchased them was to get me untethered from the PC. If I wanted to go downstairs for coffee during a long conference call or for whatever reason I wanted to be somewhat mobile, I wanted to have some distance to be able to travel. Well these cans only are effective for about 20 feet, then the RF side goes to crap. Their claim that they have about a 30feet range is not applicable here, after 20 feet I start having issues.

These cans use RF to transmit the PC audio to the cans with 7.1 Dolby sound - they are good sounding cans I will give them that. However they do not have the RF broadcasting distance for them to be useful to me. The Bluetooth which handles the Mic portion of the communications has a nice longer range than the RF broadcasting from the base station to the cans. I can talk on the mic and still be heard when I cannot hear audio coming from the PC. This tells me the Bluetooth has great range and the Audio RF from the PC/Base Station is lacking.

What I would like to do is find a way to boost the RF signal to the headphones. Right now they are about as unobstructed as it gets where they are positioned. Direct LOS about 23 feet away and they begin cutting out terribly. As I walk downstairs it gets worse and goes out completely. When I get downstairs to the coffee pot - it works if I stand still because my office is directly above the kitchen so the distance is shorter than over at the stairs. I need about 15-25 more feet of range from these to make them the ideal solution for me by boosting the RF a tad more than what it is now.

Any ideas on how to make this work? Boost the signal?

SPEC'S
Digital RF Wireless Transmitter

Digital Wireless RF wireless carrier reception (2.404-2.476GHz)
Digital RF wireless transmission range up to 30 feet
Stereo headphone output with volume control for external wired headphones
Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz
Optical TOSLINK digital audio input compatible with 48kHz digital audio stream
Optical TOSLINK digital audio output pass-through of digital input stream.
150MIPS Digital Signal Processor for Dolby processing
Maximum analog input level with volume control on maximum setting: 2Vpp (700mV rms). Input sensitivity may be adjusted to accept higher level signals by lowering the volume control.
Dimensions: Height 8.875 in (22.5 cm), width 4.375 in (11.1 cm), depth 4.375 in (11.1cm)
Weight: 8.4 Oz (240g)
Power requirements: 5VDC @180mA max

Last edited:
Back