Turtle Beach a good choice for a budget Xbox 360 headset?

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
Thinking of getting a TB X12 headset for the XBox 360, which will double as a PC headset for co-op gaming as well.

It seems by far the most popular among its price-range ($60 or so), but are there better options for the same price?

I am a pretty avid gamer and I personally own a pair of x11 Turtle Beaches.
If you are into competition gaming and such I would advise buying a pair of them. I previously owned a pair of x32 Turtle Beaches and the only difference is that x32's are wireless, cost a lot more, and you have to put batteries in them about every 8-10 hours of gameplay. I also owned a pair of Tritons and they broke within a month and I have never seen good reviews on them. SO I would advise buying a pair of beaches..

I have a wireless Turtle Beach headset for the 360 and love it. It's comfortable and sounds good.

Thanks for the feedback. Might look at picking these up in the next few days then. :cool:

Last edited:
I personally don't like them. All I heard (pair of x11s) was a constant noise/static from the in-line amplification, which was beyond bearable for me. Turning it down did jack shit for me, I still heard it just as loud and clear. I am extremely sensitive to all kinds of noises.

Only during heavy action sequences with the volume up was this drowned out, but I don't play that many games with constant action, gunfire, and explosions going on.

Yes! I've been using Turtle Beach headsets for both my 360 and PC for the past 4 years and they are very well built and suffice quality for sure. Do not hesitate.

Went ahead and got them. Pretty happy with them, sound quality is a bit better than the HD202s and with much more (but adjustable) bass.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :cool:

Went ahead and got them. Pretty happy with them, sound quality is a bit better than the HD202s and with much more (but adjustable) bass.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :cool:

Really? Sound quality is better than your older pair of Senn's? I'm intrigued. I use a logitech desktop mic and a pair of older Sennheisers (never failed me in years), but I'd like an adjustable, in my mouth, mic for when I need to whisper.

I personally don't like them. All I heard (pair of x11s) was a constant noise/static from the in-line amplification, which was beyond bearable for me. Turning it down did jack shit for me, I still heard it just as loud and clear. I am extremely sensitive to all kinds of noises.

Only during heavy action sequences with the volume up was this drowned out, but I don't play that many games with constant action, gunfire, and explosions going on.

I have some and found the same thing. It's super annoying. They're comfy, but audio leaves a lot to be desired. I probably won't buy another Turtle Beach product due to my experience with them.

Got a pair of PX5s but I had the same issue. Poor build quality and amp hiss just made them not worth the money. I returned them and got the PC360s plus a mixamp 5.8 that has been far superior.

I had a pair of Turtle Beach X3s for a while, not real happy with them. They were uncomfortable after a while, caused my ears to sweat. I upgraded to X31s (for $30) and like the fit much better, however, I do not like the popping I get from the 2.4GHz wireless router. If my son sits between me and my TV using my phone via the wireless network I get constant popping in my ears, and its not adjustable via volume, gets extremely annoying. They came out with a set right after the X31s thus the reason I got them on clearance that was supposed to have fixed the popping noise. I have heard no complaints about the X41s which are 5.1 surround and still wireless, so sounds like they build a bad receiver circuit that wasn't shielded well in the X31s. But for as little as I play, and the ability to keep the snot nosed little brats that find it funny to attach the f word as part of every word in the human language away from my children's ears means they are worth it to me. At least for now.

Really? Sound quality is better than your older pair of Senn's? I'm intrigued. I use a logitech desktop mic and a pair of older Sennheisers (never failed me in years), but I'd like an adjustable, in my mouth, mic for when I need to whisper.

Senn 202s aren't exactly high end, and sound quality is a very subjective thing. Hard to say really.

I'd consider the Roccat Kaves.

Roccat Kave mini-review:

5.1 surround gaming headset with detachable, flexible mic and control pod.

They run $100 or so, but I picked up a pair for $65 shipped new off the forums here a couple months back. You can get them lightly used from Amazon Warehouse for $80. They aren't quite as good as my Senn eH2200s from an accuracy and detail standpoint, but they're good enough that I don't often find myself switching back and forth to play games and listen to music if I'm primarily gaming. The 5.1 drivers do allow good positionality and bass is strong but adjustable. The microphone is very pliable but stays where you put it without issue and is easily detachable by just pulling it off the right side of the headphones. The end of the mic lights up with a blue LED when muted, which is nice at times if you want to talk without worrying about being overheard. There's a blue ring around the mic connection of the headphones themselves that never goes off so long as they're connected / have power which I find a little annoying, but I'm a bit neurotic about that sort of thing at times. It's not bright enough to be distracting or anything.

Setup is fairly straight forward (plug in 5 cables, one for front left/right, rear left/right, bass/center, mic, and USB power) but they sound like shit unless all the drivers are being used, so hooking them up to a PS3 or 360 without some kind of converter or breakout cable isn't advisable, and you can't easily carry them around and use them with a laptop without as USB based 5.1 "soundcard". The USB connection powers the integrated LEDs (sadly can't be turned off by the user) and the built in amplifier. There is no built in DAC, however, the sound is passed via the aforementioned 3.5mm plugs. This to me is a huge plus over many offerings from Logitech and others. I'm still using onboard sound at this point, but am looking forward to picking up something a bit more substantial eventually and seeing how these respond. I suspect they may improve considerably when given a cleaner signal.

Sound isolation is pretty good, though not 100% by any means. So long as your house doesn't sound like the back of a small regional jet you should be fine, and unless you're cranking deathmetal at max volume those around you shouldn't be annoyed, either.

The little desktop "control pod" is kind of gimmicky, but it's nice to have a real hardware volume control and mute buttons for the headset and mic you don't have to fumble around for, so it does its job. There's a main volume "wheel" and sliders for each channel set -- so you can control front, rear, and center/bass volume separately.

Build quality is exceptionally high, these things are /sturdy/. The hinges are huge heavy-duty things made of solid aluminum and the headband is serious business as well. The cups for the drivers are plastic but very solid. I would have zero hesitation putting these in a backpack so long as they weren't crushed under a bunch of other stuff, and expect they will last for years. Given they are my first Roccat product, I'm fairly impressed.

There's a good bit of cushioning on the earpads and the underside of the headband, but I will warn... these things are heavy. Really goddamn heavy. I realize I'm used to the Senn eH2200s, which are all plastic and so feather-light at times it feels you might break them by looking at them funny (though they've served me well for years, knock on wood), so many people may have no issue with the Kaves.

Sadly, for me the weight means I'm uncomfortable wearing them for more than a couple hours at a stretch. At the three or four hour mark I tend to get a headache, and no amount of adjusting the headband or shifting where they sit on my head will avoid this. For this reason I'd recommend ordering from Amazon or somewhere else with a fairly good return policy, in case you find them uncomfortable. They /shouldn't/ be, which is the confusing part -- the padding is soft and appears adequate, it just must not sit in the right places on my head. I don't know.

Last edited:
The Sennheiser HD202s have been the best set of headphones I've owned (I'm poor and can't afford $100+ cans *sadface*), so I was using them as the standard. If whatever I got could match or exceed the 202s in sound for the price I paid for them ($70 I think), I would be satisfied.The X12s are close to the 202s to my ears, but the added bass makes the X12s sound nicer for gaming with or without the mic.

Those Roccat Kaves seem like they could be good but unfortunately I need something primarily for the XBox 360 for co-op gaming online. That market seems a lot smaller than the PC headset field and is dominated mainly by Turtle Beach and Tritton. The Tritton headsets seem overpriced and the reviews say they have horrendous build-quality, whereas the TBs review well due to their bang-for-buck ratio. I considered the Xbox version of the Plantronics Gamescon headsets but I used a pair of them in a gaming cafe last year and I felt like they were going to make my head implode from how tight and pressurised they felt around my ears, so I gave them a miss.

The X12s are corded and I'm not experiencing any popping or significant humming and hissing. I can only hear the hiss if I really listen for it with nothing playing through them, and then I can't hear it over my PC, XBox, heater, the next-door-neighbour's shitty car and everything else making racket.

Quite a few people that i game with cannot say enough good things about the turtle beach head sets.

Back