Turns out the pc is the best way to play breath of the wild?

tybert7

2[H]4U
http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/3/15162490/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-4k-wii-u-pc

Probably not legal unless you rip the game yourself after buying it. I had no idea wii u emulation was that good. The last time I checked into emulators they could never play current console titles, I guess that is just how far behind the wii u is in terms of performance.

Also, with the switch and the move to arm, I suspect this will be harder to do for any switch exclusive titles.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
They've had BOTW running since a week after it released. Still lots of issues with the game, even with the latest CEMU release (currently only available to patrons until April 9th). Emulation is legal. Whether or not you buy the game comes down to morals.

It takes good screenshots, but gameplay is still a little buggy from what I understand. At least owners of both consoles just got a patch to stabilize framerates...

With CEMU pulling down 20k a month from Patreon, we should see 100% playable within the next few months I would think...

...or you can buy into the theory that they will purposefully delay updates to keep dat sweet, sweet Patreon money coming in. After Zelda the WiiU is pretty much dead except for existing titles. Though not all games currently work, either, but most of the popular ones do.

I've seen a couple articles on this but no mention whatsoever if there are graphical issues with the game.

The video released a week after launch showed Link sinking into the terrain and no foiliage to speak of. Is this all fixed? It's one thing for the game to run at high res with playable framerates and no game stopping bugs but another for it to be a faithful recreation of the original.

The video released a week after launch showed Link sinking into the terrain and no foiliage to speak of. Is this all fixed?
Fixed and shown in the video linked above within the first few minutes. (It's over 10 mins total, but those 2 fixes are shown very early.)

Fixed and shown in the video linked above within the first few minutes. (It's over 10 mins total, but those 2 fixes are shown very early.)

Ah, I've been at work and have only been reading the articles. Good to know though. So is it basically a 100% emulated game at this point?

Ah, I've been at work and have only been reading the articles. Good to know though. So is it basically a 100% emulated game at this point?

I take it you mean is the game 100% yet? Short answer: no.

not sure how many people have a PC strong enough to run it... 20fps :S

As with most emulators performance is indicative of your CPU strength. But there are many issues out there for those with AMD GPUs. A modern quad core should do you fine.

Some folks have been getting 30 FPS in most areas...plus, you don't want to go above 30 FPS anyway, apparently it can break things in the game.

This. The game is meant to run at 30 FPS. Even top of the line rigs with all the helpful tweaks can't maintain that fully. For those with a less robust machine and generally surpass 15 FPS there is a cheat engine tweak to get the game to run more smoothly.

I'm more interested in playing Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 on my PC. Dolphin can make the normal Wii versions (Brawl and MKW) look amazing. I'd imagine the WiiU should look downright stunning.
The art style doesn't really do Breath of the Wild any favors to being with.

I'm more interested in playing Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 on my PC. Dolphin can make the normal Wii versions (Brawl and MKW) look amazing. I'd imagine the WiiU should look downright stunning.
The art style doesn't really do Breath of the Wild any favors to being with.

MK8 looks pretty damn amazing at 4K, there's plenty of videos around.

As far as BOTW goes, there are multiple tweaks out there to get closer to 30fps, and there are minor technical issues lingering that (from what I see) will be resolved within the next two releases, and not a hard-limit of the emulation/performance penalty itself. The main sticking point seems to be shader caching, which CEMU uses extensively, which in current nvidia driver releases is causing massive (16gb+) RAM / page file usage.

If I weren't so addicted to path of exile I'd probably have done more tweaking to get it running well on my system...

Back