Turning on system w/out power button?

willr

n00b
I am trying to turn on my other computer which is not in a case so it does not have a power switch hooked up. Can I power on the system by briefly shorting the 2 power switch pins on the mobo? Or is there a better way?

Abit BP-6 mobo

-Thanks
Will

Sometimes I do this... and the screwdriver kinda "welds" or binds to the pins for a bit and I have to gently tug them off after I short the connection. Nothing seems to be damaged, the computer works fine, and I've done it a lot (enough to lose count). Why does this happen though?

that would be the juice flowing thru the pins... another (safer) way to do it is here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cab-21.html

it's what is called a "bypass adaptor" *warning* :eek: this will *totally* knock out your psu warranty!!! whatever you do with it, whatever happens, you can't send the psu back after this!!!

ok, way it works is this: plug 1 end into the green wire on your atx connector... & the other into a ground wire. this will cut on your psu as long as the wire is in there. but again: :eek: this *will* void your psu warranty!!! do *not* do anything stupid!!! and do *not* blame me for it... i don't have any money and it's your fault anyways. :D

starhawk said:
it's what is called a "bypass adaptor" *warning* :eek: this will *totally* knock out your psu warranty!!! whatever you do with it, whatever happens, you can't send the psu back after this!!!
Wow...Warranty police on alert here at the not so very [H]ard! :confused:

nope. just want to be sure you're careful... and i keep what few $$$ i have.

$5.00 + S&H for that???

Its called a paperclip :rolleyes:

Anyways see if your motherboard also supports wake on keyboard or mouse click, or even wake on LAN.

starhawk said:
*warning* :eek: this will *totally* knock out your psu warranty!!! whatever you do with it, whatever happens, you can't send the psu back after this!!!
they have no way of knowing that you did this... It will never void your warranty unless you call them up and say "I shorted some pins and now it doesn't work".... and then you deserve that you get.

I dont know what all this talk about shorting is, all you are doing is completing a circut, not shorting it.

I just keep an old momentary contact power switch from some old case I threw away a long while ago, just hold the switch and punch it and your system comes up. Every once in a while I do use a screwdriver when I can't find my switch.

ummm... I don't think shorting out motherboard pins is a very elegant solution.... on some motherboards you can configure the motherboard to power-on when you press the spacebar, or the mouse... maybe even through the network. It would also look pretty slick for your comp to light up with a click of your mouse ;). Try that.

note: not all motherboards support this, check.

Not elegant? ... ugh.... you are doing exactly what the power switch does. :rolleyes: The system comes on and problem solved. Perhaps if you drink some wine and eat some cheese meanwhile it will pass your elegance test.

texuspete00 said:
Perhaps if you drink some wine and eat some cheese meanwhile it will pass your elegance test.
^^^ LOL yeah, plus reading other people's posts and not repeating my words is also an elegant thing to do too (regarding wake on keyboard/mouse/LAN).

Summoner said:
If you are [H], you dont RMA stuff you break ;)
I don't "break" much. I do on the other hand tend to walk a certain way when I reach an accomplishment...Odd.

MooCow said:
^^^ LOL yeah, plus reading other people's posts and not repeating my words is also an elegant thing to do too (regarding wake on keyboard/mouse/LAN).

oops.

Good things happen to those that RMA. I called Logitech to RMA my MX700 and they're sending my an MX1000 to replace it :D

Back