Turning Off Wi-Fi And Bluetooth In iOS 11's Control Center Doesn't Actually Turn Off Wi-Fi or BT

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Using the iPhone Control Center in iOS 11 to toggle off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth doesn't actually turn them off, and security researchers aren't happy. Instead when toggling the buttons in the Control Center the deice will disconnect from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories. While this may sound like a bug, per Apple documentation, this is working as intended to keep features like AirDrop, AirPlay, and Location Services available.

Sounds a little nefarious to me. When I turn something off, it's because I want it off. And leaving this confusing, Apple is creating a lot of possible security issues. Will this also force connect you to public Wi-Fi networks when you think you have Wi-Fi off? I'm also thinking about battery life issues arising from this, when I am not using Bluetooth, I turn it off to save power, apparently Apple does not think it should be that easy.

The takeaway is that if you want to really and completely turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on iOS11 you can't do it from the Control Center anymore, you'll have to do it through the Settings app.

"Working AS intended"

NSA-Apple.jpg

Does Airplane Mode disable the radios? That's on the Control Center...

Also, just a note - it isn't that you can't disable the radios at all, it's just that the Control Center doesn't do it that way any longer. I don't see this as a huge deal.

Yep, I've already complained about this. Worst "feature" upgrade of iOS 11. They have reduced the functionality of a button. Also, when you turn it "off" and put your phone to sleep, after you wake it the icon is blue again as if it were active but it does not connect.

So not only did they gimp the button, but it is bugged where you have to toggle it off then back on to get it to reconnect.

Just a totally stupid decision.

something about Apple and Courage. Maybe someone needs to create a farraday cage otter box for the things.

I dont like how that we may really need a pocket sized faraway cage to house our phone and prevent it from transmitting or receiving anything.

It seems that Apple doesnt really care even after Blueborne.

Apple craves for BIG data :D they want to know everything at anytime from its users , its only a matter of time before you will see the same on android systems

Dunk it in the toilet, that will turn it off.

Edit: I'm guessing this is one of those new water resistant phones, those bastards thought of everything, we're doomed!

It's these kinds of practices that then fuel MS with all the sneaky things they've put into 10.

This is a disaster for anybody who works in a classified environment. You're not allowed to have wi-fi and bluetooth enabled, so anyone with iOS 11 is at risk of a security incident if they don't realize this.

There's a rule at certain facilities, phone off, battery out. And if you can't take the battery out, then it goes in a secure locker.

Jesus christ. Not many iPhone users up in here.

Apple is an extension of the government and spying!!!!

forgets Apple publicly stood up to the FBI and refused to unlock a phone even for "national security".

Jesus christ. Not many iPhone users up in here.

Apple is an extension of the government and spying!!!!

forgets Apple publicly stood up to the FBI and refused to unlock a phone even for "national security".

Apple isn't going to do anything which cost them a user base. And it was short sighted of them to not see this as being a "public issue that wouldn't be discovered."

That said, they are idiots because it's a potential attack vector if you can't disable the wifi.

However, it may be a moot point anyway. Seems to me I remember an article about an exploit toolkit that makes it look like certain features of the phone/pc is off when it's actually on. There are ways to detect this though.

The only sure way is to take your battery out or leave the phone at home.

Well, the world is still waiting with bated breath for iPhone to actually be a compromised platform. So far, there have been many accusations, but I believe it's still the most secure platform. The Fappening was not a breach of iCloud itself. Everyone wants to see Apple fall.

Android does the same for WiFi at least. If you have WiFi scanning on in location services when High accuracy mode is on, WiFi radio stays on even if you toggle WiFi off. You have to turn off location services and WiFi to shut off the radio.

Now if u say... why not just turn off WiFi scanning,? ok give that a shot, see how much Google maps and other location based apps annoy you at some point or another.

So for me, it's all or nothing for location toggle.

Okay folks, lets stop panicing or bringing out the pitchforks for a second: Wifi and bluetooth can be turned off. Just go into the settings menu and do it. It is rather dumb that you can't do it from the control panel, but lets not go all crazy here and say that they can't be turned off at all.

Well there you go, proof that users are more likely to have their iOS devices compromised in real world usage. Very good.

Moving the goal post?
You clearly said "Well, the world is still waiting with bated breath for iPhone to actually be a compromised platform."and you got an answered that refuttede that and are now changing it to " more than android"

Back