Turning off monitor stops video card form working

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I have a GTX 970 on a Asrock B450 board.

If I need to afk on a game, I will normally turn off the monitor, only to come back with the game crashed.

I found the culprit to be the monitor turn off. If I leave the monitor on, no crash.

I think the video card is going into some kind of power save mode and not outputting, therefore the game crashes.

Any solution to this?
I have tried to put the power management mode into max performance, only to no avail.

I hate to keep the monitor on, can try to save some power.

Thank you

Connected via DP, HDMI, or DVI? Have you gone into Windows power settings and disabled all the power saving options for the profile you're using?

If you don't find a solution, try setting a short delay before your display goes to sleep (in power options) and before going AFK, alt-tab to a browser window or similar and you'll achieve the same effect without needing to power cycle the monitor every time.

Last edited:
This is a free sync monitor, but the 970 doesn't support it so I am not using it.

Connected via DP
All power settings have been disabled. I normally just turn the monitor off manually (I tried the auto off before and same thing).

Maybe something in the BIOS?

In the past, I've heard about issues hot-disconncting DP. Can you try another connector on that monitor?

Also, can you try windows Idle power-off that monitor instead, and see if that behaves better? In that case, it shouldn't be forcibly removing the display from Windows, and may behave better.

Can I assume you're running Windows 10?

Maybe something in the BIOS?

No, nothing in the motherboard BIOS will be relevant since you aren't using any type of integrated graphics, and there aren't any kind of PCI-E link settings that have anything to do with what you're experiencing.

You may possibly have an older card that has some vBIOS issue relating to the DisplayPort specifically. I know for a fact some models had this issue relating to DP-handshake failures that would cause incompatibilities with some monitors (Asus cards in particular). Have you checked to see if there was any vBIOS update for whatever card you have?

In the past, I've heard about issues hot-disconncting DP. Can you try another connector on that monitor?

Also, can you try windows Idle power-off that monitor instead, and see if that behaves better? In that case, it shouldn't be forcibly removing the display from Windows, and may behave better.

Can I assume you're running Windows 10?

Agreed, first thing I'd try is a different cable type.

Turning off a monitor using DP will disconnect it from the PC. you should hear the windows ding sound if you are using external speakers and turn off the monitor.

"DisplayPort acts as a PNP device, so turning off the monitor disconnects it from the computer as if it was removed and windows are moved out because Windows forgets this device, until it is turned on again and is "discovered". One solution is to just let the screen go into sleep instead of turning it off."

Hi I tried sleep mode again and it didn't help. Game still crashed
I'm looking for a HDMI cable and will try that next.

So it was an issue with DP.
I switched over to an HDMI cable and issue gone.
That is really strange, I thought DP was supposed to be more "advanced"

So it was an issue with DP.
I switched over to an HDMI cable and issue gone.
That is really strange, I thought DP was supposed to be more "advanced"

It is "more advanced." It's just that somebody had the brainy idea that DisplayPort should behave like a USB device.

And just like if you disconnect a USB drive in the middle of a file copy, they can't guarantee the state of that file.So it goes with DisplayPort getting disconnected in the middle of a game, and the resolution change can cause errors.

It's not guarantied to cause issues, but it's highly likely.

I get around these issues by using the other inputs on my monitor.

Good to know. I was thinking of going to multiple DP monitors for my multiple PC I want to switch one to another. I believe I need multiple DVI-D for an inexpensive 1440p. There are some expensive advanced monitors who use multiple DP for picture in picture management. In that case DP has a use.

Back