Turning off Laptop Monitor Question

carblow12

Limp Gawd
Hi there, I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the Laptop monitor. I know you can turn it off but you cannot keep it off if programs run in the background or mouse moving. I was wondering if there a way to turn off the monitor, just like you would with a desktop monitor button, and be able to move the mouse and run programs over night, with the monitor being off. Closing the lid, even with the function do nothing does not work either. Thank you for responses in advance.

You might consider if your laptop has the functionality to switch between the laptop screen and an external monitor to hit those corresponding keys (ie: <FUNCTION> and the monitor switching key)

Usually such a control is part of the video drivers, and the Control Panel applet for the Display(s). I know with the Intel onboard video you can plug in an external and then adjust the settings so that it's in "Monitor" mode which means only the externally attached monitor is functional - the internal one (the laptop LCD panel) is simply powered down from that point on.

I don't know if other manufacturer's support that functionality, but at least with Intel, it's part of the Display adapter's Control Panel applet. That would be a good place to start. ATI would be the Catalyst Control Center (if you have that bloated thing actually installed), and I'm not even sure what Nvidia calls theirs anymore.

Are you sure you don't have the laptop set to go to sleep after some period of time. Everyone of my 500 company laptops are set to do nothing when the lid is closed so they can sit in their docking stations.

Back