Turning Off Annoying Messages

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought a new laptop, every time I click on an icon on the desktop I get this message:

User Account Control

"Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?"

How do I turn this off so that when I click on an icon to open it up it just opens up without giving me this message? I looked everywhere and can't figure it out, it must be something really easy that I am missing.

By icon, do you mean applications? That's a security feature in case you get a virus that runs an .exe that you're not familiar with.

But you can type UAC (Change User Account Control Settings) and reduce the occurrence. You can change how often it pops up, or you turn it off by changing it to Never notify. I honestly don't recommend turning it off completely, you never know when it might actually save your PC.

There are 4 settings, the lowest one is never notify, and I'm already on the setting one above that, so I can't go any lower because then it will be on "never notify".

Any other ideas how to make the messages go away when I open up an application?

Last edited:
Fairly certain that's the only way. That's why it's not really recommended because you never know one day you might get infected with malware that starts running .exes in the background.

So every time you're clicking on that Icon/File/Shortcut the program it is calling wants to run with Administrator rights? MOST programs shouldn't do that, not since Vista introduced UAC. I'd be more concerned about that application. So either you click Okay on the UAC prompt every time or you turn UAC off completely and let anything that wants to run as Admin do so.

Sulphademus is right. It's something with THAT specific program you are using. I am sure you notice that when you launch Chrome, or Microsoft Word those prompts don't come up. The program is either set to run as administrator (required for some, especially older programs) or it is requesting some kind of access that Windows deems as "too much" even if necessary for the program to run.

You have to turn UAC off completely or live with it... or ask the developer of the software to fix their software to run better in Windows 10.

administrator.JPG

This screen shot is from Windows 7 so may look different in Windows 10. However, if you right click on the shortcut, choose Compatibility tab. There is typically a check box to always run the program as an administrator. That way you can run it that way but not turn off UAC. See if that works. And surprisingly there are a lot of programs that still behave like this. Programmers tend to be lazy.

View attachment 55380

This screen shot is from Windows 7 so may look different in Windows 10. However, if you right click on the shortcut, choose Compatibility tab. There is typically a check box to always run the program as an administrator. That way you can run it that way but not turn off UAC. See if that works. And surprisingly there are a lot of programs that still behave like this. Programmers tend to be lazy.
This is actually a sufficient work around for programs you use regularly. I guess this is what the OP will have to do.

Back