Turning down tesselation factor on HD 6870?

Shark974

Limp Gawd
So I just bought a 2GB HD 6870 for my modest gaming rig and was all set to stick with it for a good while (hence I bought the 2GB version), now in the last few days I've found a problem.

Seems the 6870 is poor at tessellation. This sort of annoys me as Crysis 2 is one of the main games I'd like to max.

However, I understand the 6870 is better at low tessellation factors, and that one can cap the tessellation factor in AMD drivers. Say if I were to cap it at 8 (this seems to be the sweet spot for 6870 based on this graph http://images.anandtech.com/doci/3987/Tess.png) how much visual quality degradation would I see over "full" tessellation in various games? Anybody have any clue about this or links?

If I cant get a good answer on this I'll probably return it and wait for 7800 series with good tessellation.

Just leave AMD Optimized ticked off in the tesselation setting in drivers. that should autodetect crysis 2 and limit tesselation to a reasonable level. There should be no perceptible loss in image quality doing so. They REALLY went overboard with needless tesselation of certain objects in that game.

The info I have may be old but I was reading there were no profiles for AMD optimized yet. That's changed?

How about a game like Batman Ark City? Another game benchmarks show gets a huge boost from 7 series tessellation, would the drivers detect/compensate for that game?

Also, I'm wondering about your statement, from some of the conflicting forum posts I read online, it seemed there was some degradation to image quality by manually capping tessellation in Cry 2. Also some bugs, and varying levels of performance increase as well. IE, 16X gained little performance, while 8x showed quality degradation. If I'm not mistaking the driver cap only allows 8x/16/32 etc granularity. Would AMD's profile be able to set it at some happy medium, say, 12? Ugh, it's pretty confusing.

There's a french review that explored the C2 tess on AMD in detail, but the pictures (showing objects at various tess levels) dont seem to work anymore.

You know I think you're right, I thought they would have had them in there by now but I haven't actually seen it mentioned since the setting was put into the drivers. Best advice I can give is play with the tesselation slider and see how it affects things. I haven't seen any of the major hardware sites address the crysis 2 thing since the techreport article.

Back