Turn that X3 720 into a X4 945 BE

It seems like several people got it running with 4 cores from the newegg reviews.

Now AMD wants mobo makers to fix the "buggy bios". Seems like they're worried that this will eat into their quad core sales. However I don't see this as any worse than enabling overclocking.

Guess we will have to see what comes of this.

Now AMD wants mobo makers to fix the "buggy bios". Seems like they're worried that this will eat into their quad core sales. However I don't see this as any worse than enabling overclocking.

Guess we will have to see what comes of this.

Where did you see that?

ackk, got my 720 in today, so far i am unable to load windows with 4th core enabled. its a 0904 CPMW.

anyone know how to enable ACC on the GA-MA790GP-DS4H? I can't seem to find the option in my bios...

To much of a crap shoot in my opinion. If you NEED a quad just buy a 940. That way you know you won't have issues.

To much of a crap shoot in my opinion. If you NEED a quad just buy a 940. That way you know you won't have issues.
940 doesn't support DDR3.

The 810 is currently the only X4 that supports DDR3, but it's only 2.6GHz and it's not a Black Edition.

940 doesn't support DDR3.

The 810 is currently the only X4 that supports DDR3, but it's only 2.6GHz and it's not a Black Edition.

Do we need DDR3 right now really lol? I would go DDR3 if I knew that the next AMD cpu could be dropped into these AM3 boards, but I doubt it can. Orochi (BullDozer) is a completely new design.

Wow, that is interesting. I called the disabling a core and selling them as x3's over on TBCS when the x3's were announced. I didn't expect them to sell some seemingly fine x4's as x3's though. I was thinking along the lines of a bad core type of deal. Grats for those that got this to work and are perfectly stable!

What, did everyone else expect them to spin wafers with L-shaped tetris dies? :rolleyes:
Would be interesting to see that extra die space used to hold shit-ton of cache.

Phenom II X3 with 4mb of L2 per core and 12mb of shared L3. Sounds like a beast of a chip :eek:

Have these 4th core enabled 720s been able to clock better than 940s? Of course, there's also the question of long term stability...

Have these 4th core enabled 720s been able to clock better than 940s? Of course, there's also the question of long term stability...

theoretically speaking no, considering the 4th core was disabled for a specific reason.

but, your diasble 4th core may work perfectly fine, so you never really know.

This is not supported at all. There is a reason those cores are disabled; you can have cache problems in the future, stability problems, and to top this off - there have been reports that enabling the 3rd core causes the thermal trip to stop working so if your board is shitty and does not report proper temperatures and it so happens that the processor overheats and reaches a critical temperature - it will not shut down, and if it does not shut down it's gonna eventually roast and take hall your components with you.

Go ahead and try and request an RMA for that now... =D

This is not supported at all. There is a reason those cores are disabled; you can have cache problems in the future, stability problems, and to top this off - there have been reports that enabling the 3rd core causes the thermal trip to stop working so if your board is shitty and does not report proper temperatures and it so happens that the processor overheats and reaches a critical temperature - it will not shut down, and if it does not shut down it's gonna eventually roast and take hall your components with you.

Go ahead and try and request an RMA for that now... =D

How would they know you enabled the 4th core? :p

720BE
&
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT
Ordered.

I cant wait for this. (Now I need some DDr3 ram)

Does anyone know if its possible to unlock the 4th core on any of the DDR3 motherboards?

my friend's X3 doesn't even post with the 4th core enabled. he tried it just for fun.

knowing him, he probably tried. but he would never run with all 4 anyways for general usage. he wouldn't trust it. i haven't done anything with his system...

HAs anyone tried downlocking the fsb slightly then trying the 4core trick?

have you increased voltage?

tried to increase voltage and lower clocks a bit. i havent tried to drop the fsb at all. i have been able to get into windows and mess around for a while with the 4the core, but i usually blue screen. i havent really tried too hard with the 4th core yet, as i have been busy working on my max prime stable overclock with 3 cores.

Successfully unlocked the 4th core and overclocked a 720BE 0904CPCW with last 4 digit of serial 0001 on 790GP-UD4H to 3.6ghz (15x240). 1 hour OCCT high priority and 2 hour Prime95-64bit stable.

Successfully unlocked the 4th core and overclocked a 720BE 0904CPCW with last 4 digit of serial 0001 on 790GP-UD4H to 3.6ghz (15x240). 1 hour OCCT high priority and 2 hour Prime95-64bit stable.

What voltage?

I'm also wondering how these scale with voltage. I got mine up to 3.3 ghz 4 instances of prime stable at 1.4 V's. But the computer reboots when I start running prime at 3.4 ghz (this could be a problem with PSU as well its only 430 Watts. I haven't tried higher voltage wise because I'm on the stock HSF which is a POS

Success with a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H. Currently running 3.2 x4 cores. Have not run prime yet, but seems stable so far.

Got a 2nd board and proc here as well, will build that one once i've confirmed stability on this one. Hope it's as easy as this one's turning out to be.

Edit: Oh yeah, 0904 EPMW proc

Back