Turn that X3 720 into a X4 945 BE

Haha Wow i knew this was gonna happen.

Poor amd. Im sure their gonna push for a bios update and hide the fix in the release notes. :p

Edit, Aww i just read that people trying this seems to have problems having it 100% prime/ibt stable :*(

Well the only thing you have to consider is, these chips may have not passed the quality test in order to be quad cores. You could run into issues down the road.

Well the only thing you have to consider is, these chips may have not passed the quality test in order to be quad cores. You could run into issues down the road.

Alot of people trying this are, some say its stable while others say its not.

Like some peeps over at XS said, Amd might be quietly supporting this, Since its a very simple thing to do to activate the 4th core.

That's awesome. I wonder how many other manufacturers will add/remove that feature from their bioses.

Alot of people trying this are, some say its stable while others say its not.

Like some peeps over at XS said, Amd might be quietly supporting this, Since its a very simple thing to do to activate the 4th core.

I don't think AMD is supporting this at all. They aren't smart enough to do a guerilla marketing type of thing like this. I wish they were, but...

very cool, and great news for early adopters. It was only a matter of time before someone tried to activate the 4th core on these

I don't think AMD is supporting this at all. They aren't smart enough to do a guerilla marketing type of thing like this. I wish they were, but...

Think about it, Its soo simple to activate the core just by choosing 1 simple option, Dont you think they did more than just attempt to disable the 4th core and ship them out?

I do not find this to be bad at all, Should give intel fired up and start pointing fingers, Of Course amd is gonna say their not supporting it :p

Like i said over at xs, As much as simple its to enable the 4th core, i think people are gonna run into problems, that being stability issues to higher things. If theres no consequences to this, then im certainly gonna jump on it.

its interesting because its risque, if there was no risk like buying a regular quad what fun would it be

Couldn't resist:

Purchased the biostar board from Tiger direct for $110-$11 cashback = $99
and 720 BE from mwave for somewhere around $140 (had a $20 coupon from a pricing mistake they made)

Looked later and realized it might just be a better option to get the Phenom II 810 only about $40 more and 4 cores will work for sure. Oh well just prey the 4th core will work at somewhere around 3.2 ghz and I'll be happy.

If someone with a Kuma succeeds enabling the other two cores... I will be buying a dozen kumas in a heartbeat.

I will try forcing ACC in a minute, I've got it set to auto now and it doesnt seem to enable a 4th core with my config.

There's a reason they are set to 3 cores-- 'cause one of the 4 didn't perform so well.

Lots of chip manufacturers market their chips based on the tested outcome. e.g. the 780V, 780G, and 790GX are all the same, just performed poorly, well, or "to spec".

Expect to see more of this kind of marketting in the future along with a "9 burnt core or more replacement policy" in play. :D

Is there no one with a Kuma and a 780GX board around here?!

I know there is at least two with the mATX DFI 780GX + 750SB board with Kumas here.

This is really cool. It's like a random lottery to get a free quad from an x3 :D. This would totally upped AMD creds among enthusiasts.

lolz....guess you gotta give up something to get something in return. Law of Conservation strikes again!

Yikes, I'm waiting for an unlocked AM3 PII quad core but if this is true, I might consider the X3 720.

interesting. i cant believe they would do something like disable a core.

Would be cool if intel start doing like a 16 core cpu and disable all but 2. They sell it for as a dual core when you can unlock the rest.

So its true, a X3 is actually a X4 with one core disabled. Very interesting.

yes likely a 4th core that didnt work so well, hence why it is an X3...

or pehaps AMD saw X3's going up in demand so they took some X4's and did just disable a core to sell as a tri-core...

Does it also allow it to have unlocked multis, or does that proc already have them unlocked?

This may be the processor I choose to build a new system with, its a bummer that you can't do it on an Nforce board or hasn't anyone tried that yet?

Interesting. i just bought a 710 for my LAN rig. I think we'll have a little fun... too bad it probably won't be here till next week.

So far most people said it errors at 3-4 hours of prime95.

And this would probably equate at least enough stability for some hardcore gaming sessions.... Not too much work to enable the extra core when doing something non-critical, and go into the BIOS and disable it for mission-critical work.............

I wonder....

Is there any real evidence that the tri-cores have a disable cripple 4th core?

I know we all been saying that but has there been real evidence to prove it? This thread says otherwise.... hmmm...

there is some popping up, and it came prior to this, seen screenshots, some gets disabled after a little while(system suddenly crashes, and its gone.)
And some appearantly works, with no issues, so no confirmed, but would boost the sales, having a lottery for a quadcore if you buy a tricore lol

But there they are disabled for a cause, but jeeez, this would be very unfair in benchmarks like wprime, where you can post result with 4 cores on a tricore lol..

but well, you can run 3 cores at 3.5 ghz and the 4th at 2000 mhz or so :p

Back