Turn off receiver --> PC stops doing anything

Team Obi Juan

Your Local Postmaster
Setup: 5830 HDMI -> Denon 591 HDMI -> LG HDTV HDMI

What happens: I have not timed how many minutes this takes, but it is not immediate. It's at least several minutes. If I turn off the receiver OR switch to another input, eventually the HDD/Power light (same light) on my HTPC just steady on/off blinks. When I return to the input and shake the mouse... the computer will have stopped doing whatever it was doing. Either folding or encoding.

In the CCC, the default power option of turning display off and sleeping were set at 10 and 30 minutes respectively. I just set those to Never.

Any other ideas?

Also, I'm only 95% sure that Handbrake had stopped encoding the last time this happened, but I am 100% sure the PC stopped folding.

So 2 different possibilities:

10 minutes of no activity and the PC "turns off" the display, which screws up HDCP and kills everything?

Or

The receiver being off or on another input is what screws it up.

In either scenario, the mouse is not being moved.

Bump, this is really annoying.

TV or receiver turned off... PC stops whatever it's doing. Makes it impossible to do large encodes.

you wouldnt happen to have another tv/monitor within cabling distance, would you?

maybe an option would be to duplicate or extend the desktop to another screen(you can probably just leave this screen off after extending/duplicating) so when you turn the receiver off the computer doesnt think there is no monitor hooked up to it.

Sounds similar to my issue, but I'm betting they aren't related.

My issue was equally troubling. Turning ON the TV made the PC lock up. But only about 1/2 the time. This happened regardless of if I was connected via HDMI, DVI, or VGA.

I solved the issue by moving the PC to a new case and using a new PSU. I'm not sure if it was a grounding issue with the case or if something in the PSU was going bad.

So, if some of the other options don't work, don't rule out the PSU and/or wacky grounding issues with your case. Like I said though, yours sounds more like a sleep/HDCP problem.

any other sound devices installed in the system?

Yeah, his is an HDCP/no signal issue. There are tons of people who have the same issue. I had no problems with nVidia but ATI always had this problem with the cars I tried.

turn off any special hdmi features that are on the amp and tv, anynet is a pain in ass, i can't remember what it's called on the tv tho.

it's a sync issue with the software for hdmi, I had it all the time at work when setting up audio systems, i always trned off the features, samsung's were the worst for it.

dash

Back