"turn off" does not turn off. WinXP prob.

i suspect it's not hardware related because i have seen the same problem every now and then on other systems. right now i am trying to fix a HP ze4900 that instead of shutting dow when you click on the "turn off" option it actually just reboots. But sometimes the "turn off" option does work. here's an example, i can turn off the lappy just fine 3 times in a row but it reboots on the forth and keeps doing it until the 10th time and then it shuts off normally. sometimes it shuts off properly ten times in a row but not on the 11th time.

i have spent an entire day on this and i would really like some input. i think i reformated the lappy the last time it happened. i have never had it happen to my pc's or lappy's but it tends to happen to computers that are brought to me to fix.......odd i know:confused:

yes, someone replyed:D

i updated the chipset drivers and the intergreated vid drivers yesterday. i am gunna try to update the wifi, sound, and mouse pad drivers then.

Almost any unsigned device driver can cause this to happen, sooo.. I'd start checking there.

i could not work on the lappy today......the person lost the key to their drawer:eek:

i used official drivers from HP's site and it works fine when I have it but as soon as it gets back to the owner........:(

it works fine when I have it but as soon as it gets back to the owner........:(

Sounds like you found the problem.. and after many years in small business, I will tell you sometimes you have to fire the customer, so to speak;)

i suspect it's not hardware related because i have seen the same problem every now and then on other systems. right now i am trying to fix a HP ze4900 that instead of shutting dow when you click on the "turn off" option it actually just reboots. But sometimes the "turn off" option does work. here's an example, i can turn off the lappy just fine 3 times in a row but it reboots on the forth and keeps doing it until the 10th time and then it shuts off normally. sometimes it shuts off properly ten times in a row but not on the 11th time.

i have spent an entire day on this and i would really like some input. i think i reformated the lappy the last time it happened. i have never had it happen to my pc's or lappy's but it tends to happen to computers that are brought to me to fix.......odd i know:confused:

Clean out your entire startup. msconfig : disable all in startup.
Services : check the "hide all microsoft services" then uncheck everything that is left

I find shutdown problems tend to be software / services not shutting down.

Back