Turn A Smart Phone Into A Universal Remote With ASRock Gaming G10 Router

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember that time when you had to perform a sort of sword dance ritual with your dysfunctional TV remote in order to make it work? To refresh your memory, it involved fanatical waving, twisting your arms into unfathomable yoga positions, and lots and lots of cursing. Those barbaric days of the dark past are almost over, pretty soon you can use ASRock Gaming’s new router G10 to turn your smart phone into a universal remote controller!

ASRock Gaming’s G10 is the combination of the internet of things and a powerful router. It learns the infrared signals of let’s say your TV remote, and assigns it to your smart phone with the ASRock Router APP, which is soon arriving to both Google Play and App Store. Then you may use your smart phone to command your G10 router through WiFi or 3G/4G, and make it remotely control the TV through infrared signals. Power it up, flip through channels, crank up the volume without even bothering to point your phone towards the telly.

Must use IR emitters that respond to commands from WiFi. Wonder how many are included.

I think it's a nice value add for a router... But in my home, I'd rather not have the router out on display where it can send signals to the tv. In fact my router is BEHIND the tv so it doesn't need to be seen. I would think a simple "dongle" that could handle the IR transmitting would solve this though.

Yawn.......any Samsung Galaxy phone already does this.....no router needed.:rolleyes:

Yawn.......any Samsung Galaxy phone already does this.....no router needed.:rolleyes:

Yep, no need for this unless you have a really old or low end phone.

Just verified that Samsung, HTC, and LG phones already have this functionality.

Now maybe this is going to be marketed more towards Apple people.. but most of them will already have some overpriced Apple product that of course can't do this.

Now maybe this is going to be marketed more towards Apple people.. but most of them will already have some overpriced Apple product that of course can't do this.

Dammit! Now I have to go find some old toshiba laptop from the 90s to emulate your fancy Samsung infra-red technology.

Most likely, the infrared emitters are tiny, stick right on the front of the device, and have a small cable running to the router.

On another note, WTF was he watching on the tv? That was some weird as hell freaky shit.

Meh... I already use an app on my android phone to control my Yamaha receiver.

It will take too long to 'learn' each remote button code. They need a database of codes, like Logitech has.
Also, it needs Bluetooth support.

"Does this" in the sense that 80%+ of your remote control commands do not work with any random TV you get at Worst Buy.

My question is, why still make all modern TVs with IR remotes when Wi-Fi tech is so cheap?

My question is, why still make all modern TVs with IR remotes when Wi-Fi tech is so cheap?

Limited number of wifi channels maybe? As I recall there are only 11 channels in the 2.4Ghz band, and many systems boost speeds by combining two or more of them for one machine.

The band is also used for cordless home phones and other things.

The fewer devices that use the 2.4Ghz band, the better.

Bluetooth might be a better approach, and some TV's (notably Samsung's higher end 2015 4K TV's) are doing this.

Bluetooth is also in the 2.4Ghz band, but uses much thinner slices of it for each device, and are much shorter range, so it won't congest as much of the airwaves.

This is one of the most narrow minded comments I've read today!

"Oh these phones that cost hundreds of dollars do the same thing because we all know people have the money for that and that ALL phones have IR sensors!".

Goddamn. :rolleyes:

This.

Or just get a Harmony.

This!

I never understood some of my friends obsession with using a phone to control the tv.

Then to complain about a low battery when its time to leave the house!

I will stick to my Harmony One which provides more functionality than using my cell phone.

or an iphone lol

This!

I never understood some of my friends obsession with using a phone to control the tv.

Then to complain about a low battery when its time to leave the house!

I will stick to my Harmony One which provides more functionality than using my cell phone.

The counter to this is almost every house I have ever been in has trouble finding the remote. Seems to always get misplaced. And batteries die in it too. If battery is a problem get an extended battery it will solve a lot of phone problems people should put the right sized battery in their phone for their usage for a day. I use all phones to remote control everything including some entertainment stuff through harmony link. I don't think you are up to date on these issues because phones are way more flexible and powerful than universal remotes now days. And if Logitech doesn't bother to keep stuff updated you can find something else. Kinda like Logitech doesn't seem to care that people might want to put wake on lan commands into their activities so I just have a separate app to do that. Also for HTPC duty universal remote on the phone is great.

My routers are at the second floor and tv on ground floor. Sounds juat like the product for me.

Back