Turn A Raspberry Pi Into A Tablet For $60

HardOCP News

[H] News
You can now buy a 7” touchscreen monitor for the Raspberry Pi for only $60.

The 7” Touchscreen Monitor for Raspberry Pi gives users the ability to create all-in-one, integrated projects such as tablets, infotainment systems and embedded projects. The 800 x 480 display connects via an adapter board which handles power and signal conversion. Only two connections to the Pi are required; power from the Pi’s GPIO port and a ribbon cable that connects to the DSI port present on all Raspberry Pi’s. Touchscreen drivers with support for 10-finger touch and an on-screen keyboard will be integrated into the latest Raspbian OS for full functionality without a physical keyboard or mouse.

As a hobbyist toy or embedded prototype, that's great. But for $85 you can get something far more useful as a tablet (Android 5.0, quad core processor, higher resolution screen, etc) from Best Buy.

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Been looking for a touchscreen for my home theater and future home automation hub. Looks intriguing.

Amazon has a new tablet coming out for $50.00.

And it probably will not be open source friendly. I think by and large people are missing the point of this...you certainly would not use this application as a tablet, per say. I see the screen being more of an interface for whatever you are using the PI for, for exmaple, floppy drive music, perhaps for your DIY 3d drinter, or HVAC controls-something where the "software" is done and now an UI is needed.

You can now buy a 7” touchscreen monitor for the Raspberry Pi for only $60.

The 7” Touchscreen Monitor for Raspberry Pi gives users the ability to create all-in-one, integrated projects such as tablets, infotainment systems and embedded projects. The 800 x 480 display connects via an adapter board which handles power and signal conversion. Only two connections to the Pi are required; power from the Pi’s GPIO port and a ribbon cable that connects to the DSI port present on all Raspberry Pi’s. Touchscreen drivers with support for 10-finger touch and an on-screen keyboard will be integrated into the latest Raspbian OS for full functionality without a physical keyboard or mouse.

If only it was a 720p screen.

Could be neat for home automation or something, setup a fancy futuristic looking GUI on the front panel of the relay enclosure.

As a hobbyist toy or embedded prototype, that's great. But for $85 you can get something far more useful as a tablet (Android 5.0, quad core processor, higher resolution screen, etc) from Best Buy.

Agree; but saw this advertised at MCM and was really considering the possibilities.
I'm restoring an antique motor home and one thing is putting in a panel of switches, gauges etc to monitor things. A cool touch panel that indicated what was on or off and showed information would actually be CHEAPER to implement than a board full of mechanical switches and gauges.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back