Turkey Drops the Ban Hammer on Wikipedia

Schtask

Limp Gawd
Early Saturday morning, Turkey's Information and Communication Technologies Authority implemented an order under Law No. 5651, effectively banning all access to Wikipedia from within the countries borders. In case you were wondering, Law No. 5651 gives the Turkish government complete control over the countries internet and is seen by many to be an assault on the Turkish people's right to information. Officials state that the ban was implemented to prevent Turkish users from viewing content that promotes "terror propaganda". The articles in question make the accusation that Ankara has collaborated with jihadists in Syria to undermine Kurdish opposition. Some are speculating that the ban is really due to disparaging updates to Turkish President Erdogan's Wikipedia profile after a referendum was passed this month which greatly expanded the powers of his office.

Last edited by a moderator:
People fleeing shit countries like Turkey are a big part of the reason why Europe is having an immigration crisis at the moment. It looks like that crisis won't be ending any time soon. Thank god for the Atlantic Ocean.

Turkey is 96.5% Muslim. That makes everything else pretty self-explanatory.

People fleeing shit countries like Turkey are a big part of the reason why Europe is having an immigration crisis at the moment. It looks like that crisis won't be ending any time soon. Thank god for the Atlantic Ocean.

It sounds like you don't know much about the history of Turkey. Authoritarian rule is a new thing there. Very recently they were considered to be a beacon of secularism in the Muslim world. It has jack to do with religion; Erdogan is a Putin-style strong man. When authoritarians make a power grab one of the first moves is to try to silence dissenting voices.

It sounds like you don't know much about the history of Turkey. Authoritarian rule is a new thing there. Very recently they were considered to be a beacon of secularism in the Muslim world. It has jack to do with religion; Erdogan is a Putin-style strong man. When authoritarians make a power grab one of the first moves is to try to silence dissenting voices.

In related news, I hear that Iran was a pretty awesome place to visit prior to 1979. A nation's history doesn't mean it's any less terrible of a place when the country goes to shit. Islam is clearly a factor in the current crisis.

Reactions: HoffY
like this
In related news, I hear that Iran was a pretty awesome place to visit prior to 1979. A nation's history doesn't mean it's any less terrible of a place when the country goes to shit. Islam is clearly a factor in the current crisis.

Iran was a democracy post WW2 until the CIA overthrew the democratically elected government to implant their puppet (Shah). Hence why 1979 happened and why the hardliners hate us.

Turkey's religious right is ecstatic about the ongoing totalitarian expansion of "their guy". You gotta love right wing thinking in the assumption that as liberty dies they get to do the oppressing.

Oppression is trickle up, eventually it will make it to you as the "weak" people are done away with.

The cause of that can be found on the other side of the Atlantic in the one country that spends the most money fighting the spread of democracy and funding terrorism in the world today.

We are talking about just Turkey as the modern Post WW1 country and not including the Ottoman Empire that was controlled by the Osman family for 600 years? The country that we, the allies, arbitrarily created as terms of the defeat of the Ottoman empire along with other bastions of civilized societies like Iraq?

I mean that's kind of like saying ISIS/ISIL/Daesh is something new to the middle east when right there in the name they use the word "Levant" which has a very specific historical context.

All of these countries have a very deep rooted history that goes back over 1000 years. We may not get it because we are the new kids on the block.....but it's a notion as true to them as apple pie and capitalism is to us.

It's important to understand that the middle east we know and love today, is as envisioned by the winners of World War 1. The middle east looked TOTALLY different before the early 1900's. As much we feel we are blessing them with our values, they really are a "new" concept to them and there is a lot of historical baggage built-in.

Turkish people are not devout muslims. Only a small fraction of them practices their religion. The problem is not the population's religion in turkey. Fuck islam all the way, but the problem in turkey is erdogan and his right wing bulling and trying to turn a population back to faith when every enlightened country is turning away finally from that crap.

We are talking about just Turkey as the modern Post WW1 country and not including the Ottoman Empire that was controlled by the Osman family for 600 years? The country that we, the allies, arbitrarily created as terms of the defeat of the Ottoman empire along with other bastions of civilized societies like Iraq?

I mean that's kind of like saying ISIS/ISIL/Daesh is something new to the middle east when right there in the name they use the word "Levant" which has a very specific historical context.

All of these countries have a very deep rooted history that goes back over 1000 years. We may not get it because we are the new kids on the block.....but it's a notion as true to them as apple pie and capitalism is to us.

No offense man, but my wife is from the Balkans. I'm well aware of that history. Turkey has been a secular society for quite a while now, and Erdogan's nonsense has little to do with religion.

Turkish people are not devout muslims. Only a small fraction of them practices their religion. The problem is not the population's religion in turkey. Fuck islam all the way, but the problem in turkey is erdogan and his right wing bulling and trying to turn a population back to faith when every enlightened country is turning away finally from that crap.

God based religions may be going away, but I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet on people still putting "faith" in a religion. They aren't calling it religion anymore, but they certainly treat it as such.

Also, for most Americans....this might be helpful. Don't say Er-doe-jen.

With all due respect, have you spent much time in that part of the world? Erdogan is a tyrant, Islam is a pretext. It's as much about tribalism as it is about religion. Ethnic and tribal distinctions matter quite a bit in that part of the world. Heck, the people of Turkish ancestry that live in Macedonia and Bulgaria whose families have been there for centuries are still called "Turks." The Roma who have been there are also singled out and called "Tzigani."

No offense man, but my wife is from the Balkans. I'm well aware of that history. Turkey has been a secular society for quite a while now, and Erdogan's nonsense has little to do with religion.

I don't know about religion (I guess because I brought up ISIL), but Erdogan, in my opinion, is trying to bring back the Sultan (and maybe the Caliphate). He wants to be a god

God based religions may be going away, but I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet on people still putting "faith" in a religion. They aren't calling it religion anymore, but they certainly treat it as such.

Also, for most Americans....this might be helpful. Don't say Er-doe-jen.

I don't know why would you aim that to me. How do you know how I say the name?

The problem is that the notion that "I have faith" is still perceived as a virtue. When all it's saying is that the person had given up on rational thinking and decided to just accept things without evidence.

People are fleeing Syria VIA Turkey (shock horror going via land is easier than sea...) because the west are bombing the crap out of Syria because Saudi feared an Iran-Syria pipeline...

Apparently in your mind whats happening in turkey is due to Islam even though similar events have happened in non Islamic countries. Pretty brave to ignore any bit of history that inconveniences your point.

Apparently in your mind whats happening in turkey is due to Islam even though similar events have happened in non Islamic countries. Pretty brave to ignore any bit of history that inconveniences your point.
It's an american thing to do I guess, or least the americans in the vocal minority. My dad is the same way. Fox news propaganda and all, america, make america great again, etc.

They probably don't want people looking up the Armenian Genocide on Wiki anymore. But yeah, complete control over a nations internet.. wonder what else will be done to protect an authoritarian regime.

How is Erdogan the problem when the majority of people supported him and the latest referendum? He is a symptom, not the cause.

How is Erdogan the problem when the majority of people supported him and the latest referendum? He is a symptom, not the cause.

Keep in mind that there are reports of significant irregularities in the vote. It was a narrow win and outside observers have called it in to question. Even if the vote count was accurate, Erdogan has massive power over the media apparatus in Turkey (hence the subject of this thread), which calls into question the validity of the election.

Last edited:
Back