Turion X2s

Where are the laptops based this chip? It's been almost a month since the official launch, and I've seen only one full review of an X2 based machine. I keep checking around and nothing's out there. Why?

The chip was released but sometimes vendors take a while.

Here's a link to upcoming MSI models.

HP has one out. Asus is coming out with models.

The MSI s271 and 1058 are available now from several barebones resellers. They are sweet ultra portables with 12" screen. Great for people on the go, but not good at all for gaming.

MSI s271.

MSI 1058

Those are the only models I know of right now.

sharkapult said:
Acer Ferrari 5000 and 1000.

Best looking Turion x2s out there, IMHO, and the balls to make it a hell of a gaming rig.

link to pics

Anything with an X1400 in it is not a gaming rig. End of story.

Though it's nice AMD is finally entering the dual core laptop arena.

sharkapult said:
Acer Ferrari 5000 and 1000.

Best looking Turion x2s out there, IMHO, and the balls to make it a hell of a gaming rig.

link to pics
Yes, but where are they? I still haven't seen a release date or hands-on review. I guess GPU hard-launches have spoiled me or something. I'm used to seeing reviewers with product in their hands, straining at the leash until the NDAs are lifted, and here we are 4 weeks after launch with a big fat zero....

waiting for tx2 in tablets, 1920x1200resolution. you think somn like that will ever happen?

mwarps said:
Anything with an X1400 in it is not a gaming rig. End of story.

Though it's nice AMD is finally entering the dual core laptop arena.

1. It's an x1600. The best that intel has in the 15.4" form factor (ignoring Quadros) is the x1600 as well.

2. AMD has had dual core laptops, albeit in the 17" DTR form factor with the Athlon X2s. Though, it is nice to see them in a real mobile format.

As for release....probably end of the month from what I've been reading... Personally, I'm waiting for Merom before I make any purchases.

I ordered an MSI 1058 with a turion x2 tl-52, so I will post a review soon.

nice. is that the 1.6ghz? haven't seen any models shipping with the TL-60 (2ghz) yet.

Yeah, it is the 1.6 but with the larger caches. The 50s don't have enough IMO. The turions seem to all share good tdp even with the clock diffs. between the various models. the 52 seemed like the best choice for me. Strange b/c i usually buy the most expensive. Starting to learn..............

won't the battery drain quicker w/dual-core despite the wattage scaling with these mobile processors?

HP nx6325 and they offer 2 GHz X2 for a decent price too... I think this will be as good as an X2 3800+ desktop alternative. I am waiting for the day I have dual core 64-bit processing power on my fingertips.

Also there is Asus A6T and A7T with much better graphics solutions than HP but slightly slower processor speed for roughly the same price. Whatever floats your boat.

awesome. the price isn't too shabby @all!!! =).

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-64295-89315-321838-f33-1849082.html

thanks for the suggestion, but i'm stil waiting for 19x12 res+tablet PC capabilities. ironically i wanna use it @home cause i have limited space (condo). i already have 2 desktops, but i want the capability of a desktop replacement and i'll want it mobile in case i want to be on the go.

this is awesome!!! =).

PS does a 2ghz Tx2 really perform worse than x2 3800 Desktop? i mean, i imagine with a dual channel DDR2-800, it'll knock anything out of this world.

I think it is a very decent processor. It is only like 5% slower than a 2 GHz Core Duo but with added 64bit capabilities it should outlive Core Duo. Who knows, using Vista 64-bit it might just as well outperform Core Duo using Vista 32-bit, significantly. Some apps for Linux benefit greatly compiled as 64-bit binaries, I believe such things like encoders, raytracers etc... will have similar gains under 64-bit vista.

some of the laptops i've dealt with in the past restrict you to certain types of OS's. i remembered helping a guy with a compaq laptop and he was on a home edition. he needs pro to join his corp's domain, so his IT guy told him to install pro and he couldn't. so i went over, yup, sure enough, BIOS restrictions or somn?

anyway, i hope these modern laptops don't restrict you to ONE OS and let you install *nix, vista or other future OS's.

omg they are just popping, I want one if I can afford one soon...

FSC AMILO Pa 1510 and very decent price too afaik :D

sorry for my ignorance, but the turion X2 arent 754 like the old turions, are they?

Zack

sorry for my ignorance, but the turion X2 arent 754 like the old turions, are they?

Zack

how is it gaming koegs? i'm not talking about FEAR or CSS or anything FPS, somn light like... warcraft3, sims, etc. small stuff.

i'm really looking forward to having tX2 as a desktop replacement... but so far i've not seen them in anything better than x300 GPU. any x1800+tX2 TL60 yet?

grr.. I got my Turion when they first came out (see sig), now they have the dual core version and it isn't the same socket. :( I was hoping I could just do a swap out. heh. Of course they can never make it that easy to upgrade when it comes to computers, especially laptops. I'm still loving my Turion MT-34 though. It does enough justice for what I throw at it. The ATI 200M is really the bottleneck in my laptop though. I don't really game a whole lot on it. (mostly my mobile college computer for throwing in my backpack --word processing, programming, excel, etc..)

still not good enough.

for me, the perfect laptop would be:

Tx2 2ghz
2GB DDR2-800
7200rpm 100GB HD
x1800 or 7900 GPU
1920x1200
tablet PC
the other misc. notebook stuff.
and cup holder on top of that =).

JediFonger said:
16x14? wow, for $5k, it doesn't have 19x12. :rolleyes:

yep - problem is, no one makes a 19 or 20 uxga display for a laptop yet. its the rest of the specs that make it desirable are the turion x2 and dual 7900gtx vid cards and btw that 5k is AU$

uh... dell laptops do have 19x12. check it out =).

i wanna' watch 1920x1080p content on the lappie.

JediFonger said:
uh... dell laptops do have 19x12. check it out =).

i wanna' watch 1920x1080p content on the lappie.

you are correct, but, not in a 19" which is what the clevo has, although dell does have a 20" its still not uxga

"With the XPS M2010, you’ll have a front row seat for screenings of all your favorite movies and videos. Sporting a 20.1-inch widescreen SXGA+ display with TrueLifeTM technology, the M2010 offers a 1680 x 1050 resolution "

if you want, go check it out

well i had one and i now have a core duo and i hate to say it but the duo is doing beter then the turion x2 oh and surprisingly cooler as well

you had a turion x2 and the core duo is better? interesting. the only thing keeping me away from the current core duo is no 64-bit. yeah i know the argument, blah blah blah. either way i want it. either tX2 or memron (sp?) next year. tX2 is available now.... just not as a desktop replacement that i know intel can make their mobile chips. =\.

if your really think about it though there isnt gonna be a need for 64 bit in my opinion what were goin to see is more and more cores in cpus apposed to an increase from 32 tp 64 but truthfullly im an amd guy and i really told myself i wasnt gonna go core duo when i bought thins but it outperforms the x2 i had that was clocked at the same exact speed. not trying to start a bias arguement because i am bias toards amd but the fact is ( at least that i and my friend have experienced) is that core duos kick ass and the turion well it was good but it didnt perform like this.

i know, the other argument about it is that 64-bit is really geared towards larger memory pools. 2GB isn't large, 4-16GB like those Tyan Opteron boards is where 64-bit can leverage its memory bandwidth. plus, most consumer applications don't "need/require" it.

but as you enthusiasts know, it's like having a porsche (i don't have one, just an example). even though you can't legally drive 120mph+, just knowing that you have the power to do so... just feels awesome. :D. ok a better example would be your AV Receiver. i own an older Denon AVR that outputs true 90w to 6.1 20Hz-20kHz, none of that test tone@1kHz 100w bs. just knowing that i got that much power is great even though my small room doesn't require it. in fact, just half of what i have is more than enough.

anyway, the other thing is that since 64-bit is the way things are going with Vista and i plan to use the laptop for more than 3+ years... i think 64-bit isn't 2much to ask.

but this doesn't preclude me from checking out memron when it does come out. the next PC's that everyone buys should be at least 64-bit compatible even if they don't use it yet so the hardware can last.

i think the notion that the PC you buy will be outdated in seconds is slowly going away and what you buy should last you much longer than in the past.

Wait about two more weeks and then pick up a Dell XPS M1710 laptop with a Merom chip in it that supports your 64 bit criteria. The existing M1710's with the core duo (yonah) already support Merom so I plan to upgrade my CPU whenever Merom becomes available. Here's my current specs:

Dell XPS M1710:

Core Duo 1.83 GHz (upgradeable to 64 bit core duo 2 Merom)
2 GB DDR2 667 MHz
nVidia 7900 Go GTX
17" WUXGA display with truelife (1920x1200)
8x DVD burner
Fancy lights on the M1710 that look great IMO.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20061007VL200.html
^looks like another update for x2. I was going to buy a Tx2... But saw a lack of options. I eventually went cheap and bought a 1st gen centrino platform w/Pentium M 765.

I wanted to buy Tx2... But they haven't really integrated all the features I want into a desktop replacement/gaming-oriented version yet. Most of the Tx2's come with light x1300/x1600 GPU's... But none with x1800 or 7800 or 7900 series GPU's. Hopefully with AMD+ATI in bed, we will see Tx2 in at least x1800 or x1900 (when it comes out). Furthermore... Having a processor capable of 64-bit on a notebook platform that doesn't support more than 4GB of RAM is just silly. Does it cost that much more to slide 4 slots supporting 2GB SODIMM modules (for 8GB max like its desktop counterpart)? I mean, why not keep sticking semprons in. There is little marginal benefit of 64-bit capable CPU in a system that doesn't allow 64-bit to stretch and grow. I'm not car fanatic... But it's like sticking a V12 engine into a honda coupe. The car will fall apart before the engine achieves its maximum potential.

you w/me? not really? pls comment. i'd really love to sink my teeth into Tx2 (simply cause it's AMD ;)... but there's not a lot of choices/options when it comes to chipset/platform and features compared to intel's centrino 945/965+ w/meron.

To return to the humble little thread I started four long months ago...

In the end, I reached the same conclusion as you. The pieces just didn't fall into place for a Tx2 laptop with real gaming potential. I ended up buying a riding mower instead of a new laptop :D but I would have gone Core Duo if I'd pulled the trigger. Toshiba has a gaming line in their Satellite series that costs about $1500-$2000 less than a high end Dell XPS, and that was the direction I was going.

Back