Turion vs Core Duo/Pentium M

FooTemps

Limp Gawd
Alright, my dad went out and just randomly bought an acer laptop which I don't trust. I looked it up on the forums and saw a couple people having problems with acer laptops in general.

SO, to start things off.

This is an Acer Aspire 5102WLmi-MCE
Stats:
Turion 64 (doesn't say speed)
15.4 wxga
1GB ddr2 (512mb x 2)
120GB hd
ATI mobility 1100
802.11g wireless
Media Center Edition XP
Price: 790-ish apparenlty

I look around on newegg really quick to see if I could find something better in he 700-900 dollar price range and came up with one or two core duo systems with integrated graphics. I also came up with a couple Pentium M systems around that price range too. First of all, should I trust the Acer brand? If not, what brands should I look for? Can a low end Core Duo or Mid end Pentium M on integrated graphics outperform the laptop my dad just bought?

The ATI 1100 is also an integrated graphics solution. If you are into integrated graphics, then you do not have any large demands, so the answer is most likely "not that you'd notice".

Acer makes decent laptops.

A low-end core duo will have a faster CPU, and depending on how fast the turion is, a mid-high end p-m will be a faster CPU.

Whether or not it is a faster system depends on several different factors, such as the amount of ram, the speed of the hard drive, the graphics, and the only logical differentiator: the application.

Well the application isn't very intensive, but I'd like to get something that will run vista sometime later so my dad isn't stuck with a cut down and limited version.

I believe that the turion is the new x2, uses the ddr2 and new socket, prob the ml-50 which is 1.6x2. I have never used their laptops but i love thier lcds :)

I wasn't aware that the turions are AM2 chips now. Can anyone else confirm this? I just thought they were 64x2 chips.

"Being a modern mobile part, AMD didn't just integrate two cores to the die and stop there. Extensive Multi-Core Power Management and Dynamic Thermal Management techniques have been integrated as well to ensure the Turion 64 X2 processor is as efficient and power conservative as possible while maintaining the performance legacy that the "X2" series have always delivered. You would expected that with double the processing cores integrated, the Turion 64 X2 would have a higher power consumption but instead, process improvements along the way have helped AMD maintain the exact same 35W Thermal Design Power (TDP) of the original AMD Turion 64 despite the same 90nm SOI fabrication technology. Also, AMD has tweaked the Turion 64 X2 a great deal in the power department that it is actually more power conservative than the original single core counterpart that actually draws less power under the various power management states. How does a 5% to 8% drop sound? A more complex processor and yet less power hungry � you can't beat that combination. In fact, it's even better than the Intel Core Duo if the data specs published by both CPU vendors hold true."

from that review

K thanks. Yeah it's a turion x2, didn't see it on the label. But when I looked at the box there was a huge "TURION 64 x2" on it, lol.

edit:
After looking more carefull at the packaging...

Acer Aspire 5102WLMi
AMD Turion 64x2 TL50
15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite
1024MB ddr2
120GB HD
DVD Super Multi Double Layer
56k modem
10/100 base T
802.11b/g
Windows xp MCE
Integrated graphics

How well will that be able to handle vista?

FooTemps, check the video card in display properties, it's not the Radeon Xpress 1100. i was gonna buy the same laptop at compusa, but when i saw it in person i quickly changed my mind. the keyboard was flimsy and there was warping on the boarder along the numbers.

Yeah, I found the model number and got the right specs, one of my more recent posts said that. So I'm going to have my dad return it.

That looks like an extremely nice laptop for everything but gaming. The Turion X2 is a good chip.

Well my big question is "will it handle vista well?"

My dad doesn't need a new laptop right now so I figure to just get a laptop around when vista is out so I am more sure that it'll be able to last more than a couple years.

The specs look good for the price, but I personally would rather have a Core Duo than a Turion X2.

luke51087 said:
whats wrong with the turion? use almost the same power

Core Duo is faster clock for clock, and the Turion has an AMD logo on it ;).

P-M < Tx2
CoreDuo > Tx2

If you can find any CoreDuo laptop with better specs/price go for it instead, else keep this one as the performance difference is small.

Back