Turing based GPUs will carry a higher price than Pascal during the cryptocurrency craze

I find it interesting how PC gaming has/is becoming a pastime for the financially elite and please don't comment how a GTX 970 is still plenty for today's most recent releases because it's not

Really, if your goal is to play games, it most certainly is. You'd better be watching your settings and playing at 1080p, but you'd be playing, and it'd still be superior to whatever console the next person is playing on; and for many e-sports titles, a GTX970 is still highly competitive (again, watching your settings).

Obviously you should get a 1060 6GB or 580 8GB if buying today, but the last generation entry-level high-end is certainly still effective.

That would shatter Nvidias 70% market share, something I dont think they want to give up. Most people buy according to set budgets and price ranges, its the reason for the GPU tiering system. I can tell you right now many peeps would be pretty disgusted to have to step a notch down from their usual tiers. It would also be a PR disaster that would leave many of Nvidias traditional buyers pretty outraged. I for one will immediately switch to AMD (or consoles) even if they have an inferior product that is half the performance. While I love gaming, it is not my life and can easily do without it. If a $650 1170 came out I would just laugh and say fck it and move on to other things.

Yeah thats pretty much my thinking as well. Basically they've been pushing me to ask myself: "I'm playing mostly older games or indie titles now. Do I really need this anyway?" And realistically is "No. I don't." The nerd in me says to buy latest tech, but fuck that pricing. I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Really, if your goal is to play games, it most certainly is. You'd better be watching your settings and playing at 1080p, but you'd be playing, and it'd still be superior to whatever console the next person is playing on; and for many e-sports titles, a GTX970 is still highly competitive (again, watching your settings).

Obviously you should get a 1060 6GB or 580 8GB if buying today, but the last generation entry-level high-end is certainly still effective.

+1. And this is why the 4 year old gtx 980 still sells for $200 on ebay.

The problem is there are two monitor trends that are driving a performance need: high refresh panels and (to a lesser extent) ultra widescreen or 4K monitors starting to become a real market presence. I know myself , I am actively shopping for a high refresh (120-144hz) 3440x1440 monitor to finally upgrade from my 1080p 60hz monitors. But that needs a beast of a card.

There is no doubt in my mind nVidia is going to jack up prices on the 11 series to unprecedented levels. No doubt. nVidia has been trying to knock up the pricing on all segments for years now. They've tried nearly every weapon in the book: "special" versions (FEs), creating new product tiers with segmented timing, reseller stong arming... The crypto craze (or even appearance thereof) is a gigantic, heaping gift to them in this end.

Mark my words, nV is going to push pricing to throw-up-in-your-mouth levels with the 11 series.

How dare them try and capitalize on their technology...video cards are a birthright and should be affordable to anyone who wants one....

No body puts a gun to anyone's head and forces them to buy the Nvidia GPU. Why would anyone spend money on a product that is not worth the price Nvidia is asking for...

exactly right......the consumer ultimately sets the selling price....

and just for reference, 15 years ago I paid about $775.00 for an 8800 Ultra and 1.5 years ago about $750.00 for a 1080Ti..... so every year when someone complains about GPU prices, I just have to shake my head.....

I was ecstatic to pay $699 for my MSI 1080Ti SeaHawk- which is a 1080 Ti but with the Corsair closed-loop solution attached. Dead silent at 2,000MHz on the core.

I'm going to have a hard time upgrading that card.

How dare them try and capitalize on their technology...video cards are a birthright and should be affordable to anyone who wants one....

The market is the market is the market. nV can charge whatever they want in accordance with demand. I would of I was nVidia.

My point is folks here should set theor expectations for a hike.

I find it interesting how PC gaming has/is becoming a pastime for the financially elite and please don't comment how a GTX 970 is still plenty for today's most recent releases because it's not

No it hasn't, the majority of PC gamers use cards less powerful than the 1060. The most popular resolution is 1080p. Don't be judging the overall market on people who frequent forums like this. Because the 970 is still a very capable gaming card.

No it hasn't, the majority of PC gamers use cards less powerful than the 1060. The most popular resolution is 1080p. Don't be judging the overall market on people who frequent forums like this. Because the 970 is still a very capable gaming card.

Not to mention that you're not forced to run every game at the absolute maximum settings.

I think most PC gamers have a hard time bumping down settings because it's not the full game or something but the truth is most modern games still look pretty decent at medium-high settings at 1080p.

exactly right......the consumer ultimately sets the selling price....

and just for reference, 15 years ago I paid about $775.00 for an 8800 Ultra and 1.5 years ago about $750.00 for a 1080Ti..... so every year when someone complains about GPU prices, I just have to shake my head.....

This post reminds me of my old boss, in essence, you/I/we were fucked over for years, so why should that stop now, capitalism right?

I can see your not interested in an adult conversation , forgive my ignorance for assuming you were

I apologize for my initial post not being a 30 page dissertation on the rise and fall of the desktop PC and economics 202, I went straight to the point.

Economies are built on consumerism, the desktop PC is a dying relic of the past, especially when you consider pricing and current mobile devices. Justifying high prices, and the lack of forward movement because you/we have been fucked over doesn't make much sense with the exception of nerds of course, and our uber l337 benchmarks, 90+ FPS, sweet 3d rendering and the small pocket of us working on robotics, automation and AI. 15 years ago consoles and laptops were not in the place they're now, and while I understand desktop PCs are used for more than just gaming, the mainstream has moved on. If there's nothing left to justify buying, what's the point?

I apologize for my initial post not being a 30 page dissertation on the rise and fall of the desktop PC and economics 202, I went straight to the point.

Economies are built on consumerism, the desktop PC is a dying relic of the past, especially when you consider pricing and current mobile devices. Justifying high prices, and the lack of forward movement because you/we have been fucked over doesn't make much sense with the exception of nerds of course, and our uber l337 benchmarks, 90+ FPS, sweet 3d rendering and the small pocket of us working on robotics, automation and AI. 15 years ago consoles and laptops were not in the place they're now, and while I understand desktop PCs are used for more than just gaming, the mainstream has moved on. If there's nothing left to justify buying, what's the point?

Well, maybe the 30 page dissertation would have been better ,because you have failed to explain how anyone gets fucked over on a voluntary purchase.

Thankfully a 1080Ti is still a killer GPU for 1440p/144Hz or 4k/60Hz. We are lucky to be in a situation where GPU's outpace (most) graphics. If nV overprices and the cards don't beat a 1080 Ti by a solid amount, I think folks looking for an affordable high end solution will just scoop up the glut of used Pascals. One way or another the prices will level out. There are Titan Xp cards going on eBay for <$800... so an 1180 will need 15-20% performance over the 1080Ti to sell at that price IMO.

Now, give us a Titan Xt or a 1180Ti at +40%, and nV can charge their $1200-1500. People will pay it.

Thank AMD.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...-gtx-1180-will-be-priced-higher-than-gtx-1080

...says industry informers according to Digitimes. I absolutely believe it, and if that's the case, put me down for a used one when prices are sane 3-4 years later. Thoughts? Comments?
A successful product is priced according to the perceived value the buyers assign to it. If it is priced higher, and people buy all NVidia can make, good for NVidia. If people don't buy it at that price, then the price will drop or the product (if not profitable at a lower price) may die.

Doesn't matter what it costs to make, except that it has to cost less to make than it is sold for (including the amortized R&D).
Doesn't matter what the previous generation was sold at either: times change, and perceived value changes with it.
And these rules especially apply to luxury goods that have brand loyalty and/or an infrastructure (e.g. games optimized, GSync montitors) specifically for them.

Last edited:
Keep volunteering to get fucked I suppose.
If you're voluntarily paying what you think is too high a price for a luxury product, it can only be because you enjoy getting f*cked.
Some people do, I'm told.

And then they whine about it anyway: "Oh poor me, I'm a victim, please give me sympathy and attention."

Oh well. There's worse mental problems to have I guess.

Last edited:
-- and of a high-end luxury product, at that.

He probably whines about the high price of Tesla roadsters, too.
If you're voluntarily paying what you think is too high a price for a luxury product, it can only be because you enjoy getting f*cked.
Some people do, I'm told.

And then they whine about it anyway: "Oh poor me, I'm a victim, please give me sympathy and attention."

Oh well. There's worse mental problems to have I guess.
I'm not sure if there is the assumption I'm broke and angered by those with wealth? I can buy 50 Titan Xp's with my debit card, doesn't mean its a good idea. I don't think pricing on a highend graphics card should be rationalized to a 8800 Ulta purchase 15 years ago when consoles/laptops were utter garbage.

Keep volunteering to get fucked I suppose.

We got here faster than I thought....but I guess when you have no facts it's inevitable .

I'm not sure if there is the assumption I'm broke and angered by those with wealth? I can buy 50 Titan Xp's with my debit card, doesn't mean its a good idea. I don't think pricing on a highend graphics card should be rationalized to a 8800 Ulta purchase 15 years ago when consoles/laptops were utter garbage.

and here we are,the real truth behind your argument....YOU dont think.... ..and so we go back to my original statement, consumers set the price.

When enough people think like you and stop buying the product, , the price will drop..until then, sucks to be you I guess....

Removing all subjectivity, how many of you would you pay these prices on launch day? Not what you think you should pay... what you would pay. This is what nV pricing analysts are modelling now.

The 1160 needs to be $200.

They'll always try to extract maximum return on product release. I have a 1060 3GB which I think was worth the $200 I paid - lucky to find one at MSRP last year. Next purchase I will step up a bit to ~6GB VRAM, making $250 an acceptable purchase. I'm not touching $300 territory. Pascal made me go to the x60 tier after my 470 ad 770 - it was enough performance at the right price, vs 1070s that were more than I'm willing to pay for the hobby of gaming.

I for one will immediately switch to AMD (or consoles) even if they have an inferior product that is half the performance. While I love gaming, it is not my life and can easily do without it. If a $650 1170 came out I would just laugh and say fck it and move on to other things.

I've mostly already switched to my PS4. $200 for the full console and game sales all the time. I've spent a good $200 in PS4 games in the past year and a half, all on game sales. I've played so many games that would've cost much more on PC once factoring the hardware. Come next GPU upgrade cycle, I'll be happy to purchase AMD again if their Radeons are priced right, despite it not being the fastest of the fastest.

I think most PC gamers have a hard time bumping down settings because it's not the full game or something but the truth is most modern games still look pretty decent at medium-high settings at 1080p.

Which is pretty stupid. In my mind, ultra = unoptimized garbage hog, but it sucks up system resources so it must be "better" placebo effect. A 1060 has served me well to game at 1080p and occasional 1440p, most of the time ultrawide 1080p and always at high settings. I use a 40" 4K screen, but I don't need to run my games at 4K. If I set ultra, many games tank in performance for barely any visual upgrade at all. High (and some medium, maybe in shadow quality, sometimes) is where the sweet spot is.

They'll always try to extract maximum return on product release. I have a 1060 3GB which I think was worth the $200 I paid - lucky to find one at MSRP last year. Next purchase I will step up a bit to ~6GB VRAM, making $250 an acceptable purchase. I'm not touching $300 territory. Pascal made me go to the x60 tier after my 470 ad 770 - it was enough performance at the right price, vs 1070s that were more than I'm willing to pay for the hobby of gaming.

I've mostly already switched to my PS4. $200 for the full console and game sales all the time. I've spent a good $200 in PS4 games in the past year and a half, all on game sales. I've played so many games that would've cost much more on PC once factoring the hardware. Come next GPU upgrade cycle, I'll be happy to purchase AMD again if their Radeons are priced right, despite it not being the fastest of the fastest.

Which is pretty stupid. In my mind, ultra = unoptimized garbage hog, but it sucks up system resources so it must be "better" placebo effect. A 1060 has served me well to game at 1080p and occasional 1440p, most of the time ultrawide 1080p and always at high settings. I use a 40" 4K screen, but I don't need to run my games at 4K. If I set ultra, many games tank in performance for barely any visual upgrade at all. High (and some medium, maybe in shadow quality, sometimes) is where the sweet spot is.

I hear you there. I feel like I've been throwing away money on hardware for games I never have time to play. Playing Witcher 3 at 4k 60fps is nice, but actually playing the game (when you have the time) is more important.

The more I back-of-the-envelope the "novo" pricing model, the more I think the mid-range is where it's at. Rather spend the saved money on a "nanny remover" for my XJ:jimlad:

I hear you there. I feel like I've been throwing away money on hardware for games I never have time to play. Playing Witcher 3 at 4k 60fps is nice, but actually playing the game (when you have the time) is more important.

The more I back-of-the-envelope the "novo" pricing model, the more I think the mid-range is where it's at. Rather spend the saved money on a "nanny remover" for my XJ:jimlad:
Yeah its a waste if you don't use the card for a few years maybe playing a game every once in a while.

The crypto kids really waste the entire GPU market you might as well burn tires in your backyard.

Wow so full of whining shit I don't know where to begin. Ever since the PC was invented, it's been Expensive! My PC for my confirmation gift was $2000 back waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1988. PC have been considered elite because of these prices. And by all means todays pc are quite affordable for what you can get.

SEE BACK IN THE DAY :p You poor folk that wanted to only play games bought a.....wait for it.........GAMING CONSOLE!!!! Genesis or Super Nintendo, Coleco, Intellivision or Atari, Xbox or PS!!! :eek: If wittle Johnny handout wants a nice wittle loaded PC, wittle Johnny needs a good job like the rest of us.

And find your significant other, that likes this hobby too or stay single. GETTING SICK OF THE MARRIED BROADS ON HERE CRYING WIFE WON'T LET ME UPGRADE OR I HAVE TO WAIT. Why did you marry this creature in the first place? Meet the status Quo? Love? Bullshit. If she isn't gamer too, find one! I am a religiously single father who raised his kid from infancy to now 20. I did who I want, what I wanted, and bought what the fuck ever I wanted without going to "The Boss".
#meBoss If you can't afford it, you're a lazy bastard sitting in his basement whining instead working 2 jobs while going to school. (yeah, I did, knocked that shit out like a boss)

Now I am going to sit in my wooden rocking chair on MY front porch with my blue tick hound Blue, drink some lemonade, and threaten to shoot anyone who doesn't " GET OFF MY LAWN!" Make Men Men Again... #MMMA :mad:

Gaming as a market needs to be accessible to the average user. Unless you go the 30fps route with a console. More expensive parts means less PC consumers weather that is a good or bad thing.

Last edited:
As long as I can get a GTX 1060 equivalent (1150 ti?) for $200-220 after taxes, out the door; I'll forgive the crypto bullsh*t of of 2017-2018.

My inability to find a 1060 6GB for $250 out the door last year impeded my intended graphics upgrade....

----

I mean, look at the Steam surveys: the most popular cards are in the $200 segment.

That's what people want, and the companies need to facilitate that. (AMD did it with the 570/580, but alas... crypto happened etc)

At the same time, I'm all for monster cards (ie 1080 ti) for people that can afford them.

As long as I can get a GTX 1060 equivalent (1150 ti?) for $200-220 after taxes, out the door; I'll forgive the crypto bullsh*t of of 2017-2018.

My inability to find a 1060 6GB for $250 out the door last year impeded my intended graphics upgrade....

----

I mean, look at the Steam surveys: the most popular cards are in the $200 segment.

That's what people want, and the companies need to facilitate that. (AMD did it with the 570/580, but alas... crypto happened etc)

At the same time, I'm all for monster cards (ie 1080 ti) for people that can afford them.

You could go for a used GTX 980 for around $200. Pretty similar price/performance

And find your significant other, that likes this hobby too or stay single. GETTING SICK OF THE MARRIED BROADS ON HERE CRYING WIFE WON'T LET ME UPGRADE OR I HAVE TO WAIT. Why did you marry this creature in the first place?

Well many of us have more rewarding things in our life than gaming. Spouses and family members have priority over hobbies. My recent week-long NYC family vacation brought me more joy than any game or kick-ass PC build ever did.

More expensive parts means less PC consumers weather that is a good or bad thing.

Definitely a bad thing. Less consumers = less relevant market niche = tech death. It's in NV/AMD's interest to keep the $200 GPU market alive and well.

Ha, you and I are of the same mind when it comes to gaming. I had the choice between a 1050ti and PS4, went PS4 all the way.
The x60 series of cards has been my bread and butter since 2010 and I haven't suffered from "can't run it" syndrome at any point. Anything over $200 and you have to really think about the need for "ultra settings".
Bit of an awkward time to buy a card this fall though, as new consoles are coming in 2020 and minimum my next card would have to be in the ballpark of the PS5's GPU crunching.

Bit of an awkward time to buy a card this fall though, as new consoles are coming in 2020 and minimum my next card would have to be in the ballpark of the PS5's GPU crunching.

I don't see the PS5/NextBoxOne being >GTX1080/Vega64 performance levels, let alone 1080Ti+. Not because consoles in the past haven't targeted top-of-the-line GPUs during development, but rather that they simply do not build SOCs that big. Remembering that said SOC will also highly likely include a CPU component as well as other potential offload circuitry and probably significant local cache to make up for the latency involved in high-bandwidth VRAM solutions (GDDR or worse, HBM), it's hard to imagine the GPU component eclipsing 1080/V64.

Granted, I'm only picking at your observation, and I'd only add the advice to 'buy what you need'. Better to actually be able to run applications now than not run them.

Wow so full of whining shit I don't know where to begin. Ever since the PC was invented, it's been Expensive! My PC for my confirmation gift was $2000 back waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1988. PC have been considered elite because of these prices. And by all means todays pc are quite affordable for what you can get.

SEE BACK IN THE DAY :p You poor folk that wanted to only play games bought a.....wait for it.........GAMING CONSOLE!!!! Genesis or Super Nintendo, Coleco, Intellivision or Atari, Xbox or PS!!! :eek: If wittle Johnny handout wants a nice wittle loaded PC, wittle Johnny needs a good job like the rest of us.

And find your significant other, that likes this hobby too or stay single. GETTING SICK OF THE MARRIED BROADS ON HERE CRYING WIFE WON'T LET ME UPGRADE OR I HAVE TO WAIT. Why did you marry this creature in the first place? Meet the status Quo? Love? Bullshit. If she isn't gamer too, find one! I am a religiously single father who raised his kid from infancy to now 20. I did who I want, what I wanted, and bought what the fuck ever I wanted without going to "The Boss".
#meBoss If you can't afford it, you're a lazy bastard sitting in his basement whining instead working 2 jobs while going to school. (yeah, I did, knocked that shit out like a boss)

Now I am going to sit in my wooden rocking chair on MY front porch with my blue tick hound Blue, drink some lemonade, and threaten to shoot anyone who doesn't " GET OFF MY LAWN!" Make Men Men Again... #MMMA :mad:

In his 40s, comes off as an elitist privileged asshole, prioritizes gaming over family and complains about men not being men.

Gotcha.

I don't see the PS5/NextBoxOne being >GTX1080/Vega64 performance levels, let alone 1080Ti+. Not because consoles in the past haven't targeted top-of-the-line GPUs during development, but rather that they simply do not build SOCs that big. Remembering that said SOC will also highly likely include a CPU component as well as other potential offload circuitry and probably significant local cache to make up for the latency involved in high-bandwidth VRAM solutions (GDDR or worse, HBM), it's hard to imagine the GPU component eclipsing 1080/V64.

Granted, I'm only picking at your observation, and I'd only add the advice to 'buy what you need'. Better to actually be able to run applications now than not run them.

That's true, sometimes you need to buy for today, especially if you hit a performance/resolution wall. Mass Effect Andromeda was the camel that broke my gtx 660ti's back.

I only see the PS5/Next Box being great than GTX1080 performance due to the release of the xboneX and PS4Pro. Sony and Microsoft need that 4k sticker on their next boxes and ideally have enough headroom for both 4k and visual improvements over a five or more year lifecycle.

Agreed but then the Xbox one x a rx580 class card so I'd assume navi in ps5 would at least hit v64 performance at lower wattage

Back