TurboGrafx16 Mini

One of the only systems I never owned. I remember being psyched as hell reading about the PC-Engine coming to the US. Then all of a sudden Sega announced the Genesis and I (and most other people) went that route instead.
Lots of good exclusive games on the TG16, though.

One of the only systems I never owned. I remember being psyched as hell reading about the PC-Engine coming to the US. Then all of a sudden Sega announced the Genesis and I (and most other people) went that route instead.
Lots of good exclusive games on the TG16, though.

Yeah, the Genesis release (one week after the TG16 launch) plus a poor selection of launch titles doomed the system. NEC was a monster in Japan; it's PC-88 and PC-98 PCs dwarfed anything in the American market not named the Amiga, and with a history of third party support on it's PCs from Konomi, Capcam, Square, Enix, Falcom, Tecmo and so forth there was plenty of reason to be optimistic the TG16 would be a strong contender in the US console market.

Yeah, the Genesis release (one week after the TG16 launch) plus a poor selection of launch titles doomed the system. NEC was a monster in Japan; it's PC-88 and PC-98 PCs dwarfed anything in the American market not named the Amiga, and with a history of third party support on it's PCs from Konomi, Capcam, Square, Enix, Falcom, Tecmo and so forth there was plenty of reason to be optimistic the TG16 would be a strong contender in the US console market.
Eh? What Square and Enix games were on the TG-16?

Eh? What Square and Enix games were on the TG-16?

That's kind of my point; Square and Enix published *many* titles on NEC's PC-88 and PC-98 PCs, but didn't support the TG-16. It highlights why the console fell to irrelevance so quickly.

I had a TG16 for a while with an ever drive.

I found that unless you LOVE shootem ups, there wasn't a ton too offer even when you threw in the PC Engine only games. I found a few other enjoyable titles

At least it has Dungeon Explorer. That was a really good game...if it doesnt have Neutopia 1 or 2...screw it...It needs at least one of those titles.

Full game lineup revealed. It's missing some key franchises like Splatterhouse and The Legendary Axe, but we are getting Rondo of Blood. Valis and the TG-16 exclusive version of Strider are also missing. Each territory is getting their own version of the mini console based on the original, but everyone is apparently getting all 50 games.

https://archive.fo/QM39B (Gamespot)

TG-16 Games
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness (Nectaris)
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys I & II
PC Engine Games
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II

Last edited:
gonna take them till march to load up an emulator on a arm chipset... yikes

No Devil's Crush. That's a big one to leave out. I'm sure these will be hackable, and that's cool. I think what I'd prefer is to just buy a couple of its control pads for my MiSTer setup. I still think these are cool though. For those unwilling to get into FPGA or Pi, or whatever, these will be pretty handy.

No Devil's Crush. That's a big one to leave out. I'm sure these will be hackable, and that's cool. I think what I'd prefer is to just buy a couple of its control pads for my MiSTer setup. I still think these are cool though. For those unwilling to get into FPGA or Pi, or whatever, these will be pretty handy.

Agreed on Devil's Crush. I played that endlessly. I also wish they had the original Bonk's Adventure on there..... So kind of on the fence now with a purchase.

Back