Tunnel Rat Robots Help In Fight Against Drug Runners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The US Border Patrol has some cyber-help in their jobs along the US-Mexico border. Robots are being used to explore and map the subterranean tunnels that criss-cross the border and are often used by drug smugglers. No PunkBuster problems for these bots.

Inside tunnels, you can’t always communicate via the standard means with the robots. If they go deep and far enough away from the operator, they’ll lose communications contact. In that case, the operator can set a time limit for autonomous exploration, which, when it expires, will send the robot back into communications range to phone home the data it’s found.

Robots rock but it certainly isn't the solution to drug smuggling.
Semi-autonomous robots that can navigate and map drug-smuggling tunnels could be the greatest weapon to emerge from the government’s attempt to stamp out the trade in illicit substances across its borders.
Legalize drugs and you won't have this problem. It should be up to each individual to make the decision to use and/or abuse. Like it or not people are going to get high one way or the other if they are so inclined to do so.

In the mean time I will get my jollies looking at robot woman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1SADcP5g1o

I don't think you understand the ramifications of legalizing drugs, even a low end drug like pot. The false market created by pot being illegal inflates margins to a ridiculous level. And the Fed's create divisions and jobs to "fight" the war on drugs.

Both sides profit hugely from keeping drugs illegal. It's about money, not about helping the meth addict down the road from you.. keep the drugs flowing and the feds and the criminals, who can really tell the difference?, will remain happy.

Why use robots. High explosives would solve the problem a lot quicker and cheaper.

Legalize drugs and you won't have this problem. It should be up to each individual to make the decision to use and/or abuse. Like it or not people are going to get high one way or the other if they are so inclined to do so.

In the mean time I will get my jollies looking at robot woman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1SADcP5g1o

Great, so all we gotta do is higher more police to make sure nobody is driving when they do drugs.

It's a matter of policing our borders vs policing people to be responsible with them.

Why use robots. High explosives would solve the problem a lot quicker and cheaper.

Hell you probably wouldn't even have to go that far, just have the robots poke spots with a remote controlled rod on their way out. These tunnels couldn't possibly be that stable if they're sending robots down there.

BladeVenom has a point. Should not a tunnel that can bypass costums and such be illegal anyway? Just collapse the tunnels.

They want to actually catch the criminals not plug up a hole they will abandon for another when that does happen.

Wouldn't they just abandon em anyway if they see a agents hanging around near the entrances and robots crawling through em?

Regarding drugs: In general, I don't want to be surrounded by MORE brain dead people. Personally, getting high isn't worth ANY of the risks. Legal, moral, physical, psychological, financial etc. Read a damn book if you need to "expand you mind" or "relax".

Regarding these tunnels: What ever happened to concrete trucks? Find a tunnel and seal it off or spend gobs of money on a robot to do whatever? Is there a boss mob at the end that wins the game?

I wonder if I could get a drug smuggler to deliver me one of those robots for less than a kilo costs...

Yea, legalizing drugs is pretty much not an option in contemporary society. I believe that legalizing pot is probably a good idea. Your talking about a substance that half of the population in this county uses. Obviously, the fed has failed to stop the use of marijuana in this country. The bad part is most of the local and federal budget goes to dealing with pot dealers and not cocaine and heroine. Over 60% of our prison population is incarcerated on marijuana charges and less than 20% for violent crime. In any case it occupies too much of our time and budget. I think legalized and taxed it could be a benefit. I am not gonna deny that the police will have to watch people more carefully in traffic. But if half of our population is using already, I don't think it will be total anarchy like some would suggest. I mean lets face it, people get high on stuff everyday and still try to drive their car. Be it legal substance or illegal. Until you make a pill that makes people smarter this is always gonna be a problem.

Yea, legalizing drugs is pretty much not an option in contemporary society. I believe that legalizing pot is probably a good idea. Your talking about a substance that half of the population in this county uses. Obviously, the fed has failed to stop the use of marijuana in this country. The bad part is most of the local and federal budget goes to dealing with pot dealers and not cocaine and heroine. Over 60% of our prison population is incarcerated on marijuana charges and less than 20% for violent crime. In any case it occupies too much of our time and budget. I think legalized and taxed it could be a benefit. I am not gonna deny that the police will have to watch people more carefully in traffic. But if half of our population is using already, I don't think it will be total anarchy like some would suggest. I mean lets face it, people get high on stuff everyday and still try to drive their car. Be it legal substance or illegal. Until you make a pill that makes people smarter this is always gonna be a problem.

I just had this wonderful idea. Instead of legalizing pot, why not just go to war with Mexico? Once we have Mexico then we have the power to save those poor people from drug lords. A friends family in Mexico is constantly trying to evade kidnappers.

Unlike Iraq at least we overwhelming evidence that Mexico is corrupted by drug lords.

Legal Pot or War. So who's with me!

I just had this wonderful idea. Instead of legalizing pot, why not just go to war with Mexico? Legal Pot or War. So who's with me!

This is strangely appropriate for DukeNukem. :D

All you need to do is change it to Legalize Pot AND War... and nekkid girls.

A GBU-28 will do a much better job than a tunnel rat robot IMO.

so, you collapse an entrance. What about the other 20 that might branch off the same tunnel along the line? These are simple A-to-B tunnels, they may branch a dozen times. They're exploring them because it's a hell of a lot easier to find dozen exits from the inside then it is from the outside.

so, you collapse an entrance. What about the other 20 that might branch off the same tunnel along the line? These are simple A-to-B tunnels, they may branch a dozen times. They're exploring them because it's a hell of a lot easier to find dozen exits from the inside then it is from the outside.

Lets compromise: Rig the robots with High explosives.

As if we need to degrade society even further.

People that need to do drugs are fucking losers. Period.

Lets compromise: Rig the robots with High explosives.

Better yet. Buy radio shack rc cars (cheap to replace), position igps units on them (cheap) and then sent them a deep earth penetrator care package. :D

They want to actually catch the criminals not plug up a hole they will abandon for another when that does happen.

Booby trap the tunnels with high explosives so you get rid of the tunnels AND "catch" the criminals? *shrug* Oh wait that's illegal sorry.... you can't kill people who kill you.. or some sort of logic like that.

Booby trap the tunnels with high explosives so you get rid of the tunnels AND "catch" the criminals? *shrug* Oh wait that's illegal sorry.... you can't kill people who kill you.. or some sort of logic like that.

Rig the tunnels with non-lethal noxious odor traps rigged to firecracker level explosions to propel the smell through the immediate area. That should send them running out into the waiting arms of law enforcement.

There is the issue of actually hiding the traps in a way that would not be obvious though. Not to mention countermeasures that would be applied immediately afterwards(gas masks and all that).

Has nothing to do with narcotics.

And no, I don't drink. I have no need to.

Please, let's hear some more dumbass excuses. I'm into hearing the rationalization for degrading society.

Bit slow, huh?

Alcohol is a drug. There is precisely nothing different between alcohol and any other drug aside from what is labeled illegal and what isn't.

Enjoy your life, kepp your idiotic ideals to yourself.

Just lace the tunnels with VX or Antrax, like an ant trap. Then collect the bodies later from where ever they go and then drop dead. :eek::p:D

Best way to fight drugs is to track down the higher level drug dealers MONEY stash. Kill the fuckers and take the cargo container full of $100 bills... thank you. :cool:

Has nothing to do with narcotics.

And no, I don't drink. I have no need to.

Please, let's hear some more dumbass excuses. I'm into hearing the rationalization for degrading society.

epic, epic fail. its rationing like this that makes my dad the alcoholic and hypocrite that he is. looks like you are well on your way too, have fun with that life and lame-ass friends (if any)

Just lace the tunnels with VX or Antrax, like an ant trap. Then collect the bodies later from where ever they go and then drop dead. :eek::p:D

Best way to fight drugs is to track down the higher level drug dealers MONEY stash. Kill the fuckers and take the cargo container full of $100 bills... thank you. :cool:

And more will replace them. too much cash to be made from drugs to be ignored.

Best way to fight drug lords is legalization. That would kill the illegal traffic and then we could regulate and tax. Make money off it instead of wasting money trying to stop it.

epic, epic fail. its rationing like this that makes my dad the alcoholic and hypocrite that he is. looks like you are well on your way too, have fun with that life and lame-ass friends (if any)

The only fail is your pathetic post. If your dads an alcoholic it looks like the nut wont fall far from the tree. Have fun with rehab and your pathetic life.

Actually since most of my friends happen to be females (who drink but I don't hold it against them) I happen to be a pretty lucky guy. Being in the health care business has it's advantages.

Sound like some of you are victims of peer pressure.

"oh noes! I must dwink or I wont have any fwends!"

ROTFLMAO!!

you know it seems pretty easy for a lot of you to talk about killing other ppl (criminals) so plainly, but is anyone here actually serious when suggesting we just shoot and ask questions later?

The only fail is your pathetic post. If your dads an alcoholic it looks like the nut wont fall far from the tree. Have fun with rehab and your pathetic life.

Actually since most of my friends happen to be females (who drink but I don't hold it against them) I happen to be a pretty lucky guy. Being in the health care business has it's advantages.

Sound like some of you are victims of peer pressure.

"oh noes! I must dwink or I wont have any fwends!"

ROTFLMAO!!

Perhaps you simply lack a spine and therefor for you there is no difference between use and addiction. No doubt in your mind the fact that I drank at a friend's party a few weeks back means I have to run off to rehab immediately. I guess that joint I smoked back in Feburary is going to gain it's hold on my mind any moment now.... :rolleyes:

Maybe you should try getting a little bit of education. Then you might know that pretty much every great figure in the history of the human race has used some kind of drug, from tobacco to alcohol to weed to opium to a dozen others. Not everyone has the same self control issues that you seem to have.

I guess Albert Einstein was a fucking loser. So is Thomas Jefferson, Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton...

Maybe they're not the 'fucking losers" here. :rolleyes:

What a sad delusion you live in. Period.

you know it seems pretty easy for a lot of you to talk about killing other ppl (criminals) so plainly, but is anyone here actually serious when suggesting we just shoot and ask questions later?

Well to be fair, no one seems to planning on doing any "shooting" per se. :D

I've been suggesting non-lethal alternatives! :D

Perhaps you simply lack a spine and therefor for you there is no difference between use and addiction. No doubt in your mind the fact that I drank at a friend's party a few weeks back means I have to run off to rehab immediately. I guess that joint I smoked back in Feburary is going to gain it's hold on my mind any moment now.... :rolleyes:

Maybe you should try getting a little bit of education. Then you might know that pretty much every great figure in the history of the human race has used some kind of drug, from tobacco to alcohol to weed to opium to a dozen others. Not everyone has the same self control issues that you seem to have.

I guess Albert Einstein was a fucking loser. So is Thomas Jefferson, Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton...

Maybe they're not the 'fucking losers" here. :rolleyes:

What a sad delusion you live in. Period.

Self control issues? I didn't know not doing drugs was a self control issue......

I didn't know Albert Einstein did cocaine and crystal meth. Hell, lets all legalize it because prominant historical figures all the way up to our current president did drugs!

It's pretty pathetic that you group tobacco, alcohol and addictive narcs all in the same catagory. You must be from California.

Aren't all 3 categories of drugs you mentioned highly addictive? Only difference is that tobacco and Alcohol are highly regulated and taxed.

One part of the reason for other drugs to be legalized is that Its hard to know what additives and crap that's been put in the other drugs unless you grew/manufactured it yourself or were in a position to oversee the growing/manufacturing of it. There's plenty of pretty scary shit that could end up in that bag of weed you scored if you aren't careful of who you buy from.

But eh, you seem to be on a mission so I'll stop here.

While I think a person should be perfectly fine making friends and social contacts without the usage of most drugs, it's difficult to say that being able to drink socially is not give one a social advantage over someone who does not drink.

While I think a person should be perfectly fine making friends and social contacts without the usage of most drugs, it's difficult to say that being able to drink socially is not give one a social advantage over someone who does not drink.

Gah epic fail from no edit button =(

I meant "does not give one a social advantage"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back