Tuesday Steam Deals: Battlefield Day

After seeing BFBC2 deal for like 20 bucks in the early days, this seems kinda meh.

...I already own both (on Steam), will I get access to the MOH beta early, WTF!

EDIT: Never mind! I see it now. Its a BFBC2 and MOH to get the beta.

EDIT2: MOH beta is in my library!

Last edited:
I think it means if you own BC2 and pre-purchase MoH you'll receive early access to the beta, and not own BC2/BF2 receive access.

I agree the BC2 price is shitty but I already own it, so I wasn't too let down. I dig snag the Battlefield 2 collection for $15 though. Tempted by the MoH pre-order for early access too...

BF2 has been out what, 4 years? I bought it on ebay sealed for 9 bucks last year and they want 15 for a digital copy? Suck it gready bastards (sp.)

Edit: I actually looked it up, BF2 released June 21 2005, so 5 years from next monday.

Looking forward to MOH, hoping DICE doesn't spoil it with all the problems from BFBC2, but seeing as this is tighter maps it looks like this is trying to take MW2 on more directly.

...I already own both (on Steam), will I get access to the MOH beta early, WTF!

EDIT: Never mind! I see it now. Its a BFBC2 and MOH to get the beta.

EDIT2: MOH beta is in my library!

So you didn't purchased MOH but the beta is showing in you library? and you own BF2 and BC2 on Steam?

No, I preordered MOH when it went life this morning, but I didn't see anything on the beta. It is there now (as I said, already own both BF titles).

Where is Transformers War for Cybertron Steam preorder?!?

i have bc2, but i don't have bf2. so very tempting. what do you guys think?

yeah same here..i BF2 on a retail DVD,but would rather have the steam version

BC2 and BF2 are the same yet not quite. BF2 has much bigger maps and a bigger max player cap.

I got BF2 when it was on sale during christmas it was $10-15. Waste of money for me. Ugly game with lots of cheaters.

I got BF2 when it was on sale during christmas it was $10-15. Waste of money for me. Ugly game with lots of cheaters.

Got it at the same time, still can't play it:p

Crashes on sound menu, crashes while loading a map:(

I am a huge sap. I bought BC2 on a whim last Thursday for the steam retail price....thats the one downside to steam...I do not shop around.

$60 pre-orders have been getting on my nerves. No thanks.

I agree. I was fine when they said that the (then) next-gen console games were going to be $60 because of licensing issues (yet I still never pay that much thanks to Amazon and other places that run deals). However, they never once mentioned anything like this on the PC so I have since refused to pay more than $50 for a PC game. Vote with your wallet.

Wow! If people didn't buy BF2 for $7.49 during the Winter Sale, what makes EA think we'll pay $14.99 now?

Not a good look Steam/EA. Was hoping to pickup BC2 for at least 40-50% off, but the deal they have today is meh. Oh well more money to spend on Friday (Dead Space) and Sunday (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening expansion).

BF2 is warm at best, they made the expansions free, you're better off picking up the disc version from best buy for 9.99 and just installing the expansions via update. (and then if you don't like it, you can give it to a friend.)

I'm glad I didnt want any of these games today, if so I would of been pissed off. BC2 is on sale and still overpriced. THats why I dont buy games unless they are on a real sale and actually cheap.

Lets see what they bring for race day, hopefully NFS Shift for $15 that would be sweet

EA doesn't qualify as a company that gives a rats ass about literally anything but cash, a trend growing more and more popular these days.

EA doesn't qualify as a company that gives a rats ass about literally anything but cash, a trend growing more and more popular these days.

That's sorta what happens when your company is losing huge sums of money like EA is.

That's sorta what happens when your company is losing huge sums of money like EA is.

Hey, they're a lot better than they were. The fact that they're selling their games on Steam and not stubbornly trying to promote their own download store is one sign of this. That it's working with companies like Valve and Crytek, who have each been burned by publishers in the past, is another.

Not sure what you're talking about.. unless you mean, the large sums of $ they have spent buying up smaller studios.
EA Announces Strong Quarterly Profit

Posted on: Thursday, 13 May 2010, 12:35 CDT

Electronic Arts Inc. said Tuesday that strong sales of game titles like "Battlefield: Bad Company 2" and "Mass Effect 2" gave the company a quarterly profit above expectations.

The company earned $30 million in the quarter that ended March 31, its fiscal fourth. The year before it reported a $42 million loss.

Revenue rose 14 percent to $979 million from $860 million.

EA's adjusted revenue of $850 million surpassed Wall Street's expectations of a profit of $835.4 million. Adjusted results exclude special items and account for deferred revenue from games with online components.
This isn't the MPAA where they make more $ every year, and still claim a loss in $ through imaginary math. Unlike the record industry, EA is quite open to digital distribution. Thank god they're finally selling titles on Steam. The EA Download system is terrible. ..and finally, Valve is less likely to fuck their customers in the way EA has/does. Only time will tell.

Do you guys think MOH will be more like MW2 style game play (really fast paced twitch style) or more like BC2 (open maps, not as twitchy)?

Not sure what you're talking about.. unless you mean, the large sums of $ they have spent buying up smaller studios.

This isn't the MPAA where they make more $ every year, and still claim a loss in $ through imaginary math. Unlike the record industry, EA is quite open to digital distribution. Thank god they're finally selling titles on Steam. The EA Download system is terrible. ..and finally, Valve is less likely to fuck their customers in the way EA has/does. Only time will tell.

Yea, that 30 million was the first quarter they made money in a while. Also, 30 million is crap for their revenue (3% profit margin).

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:ERTS&fstype=ii

Their net income in 2009 was -$749 million

Yea, that 30 million was the first quarter they made money in a while. Also, 30 million is crap for their revenue (3% profit margin).

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:ERTS&fstype=ii

Their net income in 2009 was -$749 million

And you are really going to argue that:

• the 2nd biggest video game developer and publisher in the world (aside from Nindento)
  • the corporate giant that has gobbled up and subsequently gutted and/or destroyed (or has been in the process of destroying) countless studios over the past decade (including Criterion, Maxis, DICE, Pandemic, Origin, Mythic, Bioware, Westwood, Bullfrog, et al)
  • the company that publishes around 10 big budget, market dominating sports franchise rehashes every year
  • the company that published the two biggest selling PC games in history, games which continue to outsell almost everything else on the market despite being released 6 and 10 years ago, respectively

is perenially losing money and needs to:

• consistently charge more than their titles are worth
  • saddle most releases with restrictive and insulting DRM, often without telling paying customers it is doing so
  • constantly publish bad console ports and sequels
  • recycle stale IP of every kind ad infinitum
  • treat their employee's worse than walmart treats theirs

Are you sure this is your position?

There might be a couple minor mistakes in the lists above, and not every game published by EA has sucked ass or stabbed their own fans/customers in the back, but you cannot dispute the overall state of Electronic Arts and the damage they have done to PC gaming in general.

If you are like me, and missed out on the $20-30 deals that were offered earlier, then 33% is pretty decent. Thanks OP!

And you are really going to argue that:

• the 2nd biggest video game developer and publisher in the world (aside from Nindento)
  • the corporate giant that has gobbled up and subsequently gutted and/or destroyed (or has been in the process of destroying) countless studios over the past decade (including Criterion, Maxis, DICE, Pandemic, Origin, Mythic, Bioware, Westwood, Bullfrog, et al)
  • the company that publishes around 10 big budget, market dominating sports franchise rehashes every year
  • the company that published the two biggest selling PC games in history, games which continue to outsell almost everything else on the market despite being released 6 and 10 years ago, respectively

is perenially losing money and needs to:

• consistently charge more than their titles are worth
  • saddle most releases with restrictive and insulting DRM, often without telling paying customers it is doing so
  • constantly publish bad console ports and sequels
  • recycle stale IP of every kind ad infinitum
  • treat their employee's worse than walmart treats theirs

Are you sure this is your position?

There might be a couple minor mistakes in the lists above, and not every game published by EA has sucked ass or stabbed their own fans/customers in the back, but you cannot dispute the overall state of Electronic Arts and the damage they have done to PC gaming in general.

Sure, that's exactly what I said.

/s

I merely pointed out that a company that lost $750 million last year alone is going to be concerned with making money. And actually, I think EA has been improving themselves a bunch lately. Great games (ME2, BFBC2), promising new IPs (Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age) and less invasive and restrictive DRM (Dragon Age, ME2). Way more happy with EA than I am Activision and Ubisoft.

This is not the place for this argument, and if you believe EA actually "lost" 750 mil last year then I'm not going to continue the discussion regardless.

Agreed ^^

Activision and Ubisoft are absolutely on my shit list now. Especially Ubi with their over-the-top aggressive DRM that fucks the people who buy a product and NOT the pirates. Activision is like EA was a few years back where they strive to screw the consumer in every way they can get away with. Of all the big game publishers/developers in the industry EA is among my favorite now. They're not perfect but the company has seen a big improvement over the last 5 years.

Back