Tubing after 5 years of water cooling

I've been neglecting my water cooling system the last couple years and havent changed the water as often as I'd like. But my system has never leaked once, I wanted to replace all my tubes and maybe even my clamps and T line so everything is new and pretty in my new system. -- But I dont think I will be buying that water block just yet cause I may need to completely rethink my loop layout.

tubing -- Supposedly the clouding is caused by 'plasticizer' which keeps the tube flexible. I always used distilled water and hydrix (although like I said that water was in for a year or so old. But I did run clean distilled water before taking it out, tubing still stained, supposedly I could pipe clean it, but Id rather just run new hose)

Here are my routing problems: (6970 is too long) -- I'll stick with air for the time being.
pump1
pump2

Things to note:
* Always be patient and let things dry if they get wet.
* Plastic hose clamps are awesome
* You wont have problems if you engineer things correctly.
* You will need to top off / replace water more often than you actually will

Last edited:
Mine is on 2 years now...tubing is cheap. Gotta redo mine soon too.

Frankly, I hate plastic hose clamps. I would much rather use worm gear clamps.

Yeah - I always go for the worm gear types myself (never feel safe with the plastic ones). Then again - if you are going 5 years or even 2 years without a leak - they must be working for you.

I like to use pre-mix collant with no DYE. However its normal for hoses to get disolored. I've even thought of using full HVAC super clean refigirator copper lines and a little pipe bender and doing permanent copper tubing but then again with PC hardware nothing is permanent sigh but you gotta admit it would look pretty cool.

I'm finally going to come clean here, so to speak, never admitted this yet. So last winter I finally got all the parts together for my first loop...I'm all excited right. Got my distilled water here, got silver in the loop, don't need no biocide. Hmmm, I need some kind of delivery spout to get this water in without spilling any so I can fire right up...oooh so excited /rummages around under sink/ AHa the GFs watering can...perfect (do I even rinse the watering can out?? of course not, too distracted and excited to get my badass new loop going...duh)

Hmmm, why is my loop so cloudy?

Turns out the GF had some kind of uber kelp plant super food grow formula in there. Yes, I inoculated my loop with high grade nutrients.

Well...maybe it will be OK, besides, computer play season is over...back to work for me.

7 months pass folding 24/7

Had to use the 50% H2O, 25% lysol, 25% pine sol trick for a full day to get the sludge off.

True story /hangs head in shame/

My loop's been running since I got a GPU block back in June 2010. Water level is actually getting a bit low in my res and since Swiftech recently released their HD block, I bought some new tubing and I'm going to redo my loop with a different pump placement.

Colored tubing is the way to go due to the cloudiness that some tubings get.

wow, that's an old school chiefttec dragon style case right? I had one of those in aluminum. One thing I did was take that bottom drive bay out and i mounted the pump on the vertical wall there instead of on the floor of the case. It actually worked out really well.

I'm finally going to come clean here, so to speak, never admitted this yet. So last winter I finally got all the parts together for my first loop...I'm all excited right. Got my distilled water here, got silver in the loop, don't need no biocide. Hmmm, I need some kind of delivery spout to get this water in without spilling any so I can fire right up...oooh so excited /rummages around under sink/ AHa the GFs watering can...perfect (do I even rinse the watering can out?? of course not, too distracted and excited to get my badass new loop going...duh)

Hmmm, why is my loop so cloudy?

Turns out the GF had some kind of uber kelp plant super food grow formula in there. Yes, I inoculated my loop with high grade nutrients.

Well...maybe it will be OK, besides, computer play season is over...back to work for me.

7 months pass folding 24/7

Had to use the 50% H2O, 25% lysol, 25% pine sol trick for a full day to get the sludge off.

True story /hangs head in shame/

That is AWESOME... in an epic failure sort of way xD

I always had shit luck with Tygon R-3603. Apparently its the worst of the worst when it comes to clouding up, and it stains very easily. I also had terrible luck with HydrX clogging up CPU blocks with green sludge...pretty sure it was the dye dropping out of suspension.

My current system is nothing but distilled and a silver coil using PrimoChill Pro-LRT. Been running for over a year now and the water and tubes are crystal clear.

Back