TSMC to prioritize production of chips for cars, not your next graphics card

You won't be sorry (imho), I'd also test drive the i3, Bolt, and Leaf(v2). I only drove the i3, and it was surprisingly good and you can't be angry at $22K for a 2 year old BMW. I have heard the Leaf is good, and the second gen had good range, and a guy at work loves his bolt (if you like Chevy interiors :ROFLMAO:)...

You won't be sorry (imho), I'd also test drive the i3, Bolt, and Leaf(v2). I only drove the i3, and it was surprisingly good and you can't be angry at $22K for a 2 year old BMW. I have heard the Leaf is good, and the second gen had good range, and a guy at work loves his bolt (if you like Chevy interiors :ROFLMAO:)...
One of the neighbors loves his volt, and another is so so on his first gen leaf. I figure the leader of
EV is Tesla, so if I’m going to jump in, it should be with the leader. Plenty of time to make a decision - the transmission on a Ford doesn’t self destruct until year 14, so I’ve got some time off I need it :D

Definitely my next car will be electric. I've got a 2015 Honda Fit, it's really nice, no need to upgrade for a while (think I have like 24K miles).

But I will wait to see when they have something really new, like a self-driving electric, or some other form of power.

I like that Biden is looking into this problem, but unfortunately I doubt there is much anyone can do in the near term.
Don't think so either. Looks to be more of an audit to see what options we have and what's "on tap".

Without getting deep into the politics of it (not a soapbox thread):

What happens when the US enacts something like the Defense Production Act on a US located chip fabrication facility that is a Taiwanese or a South Korean owned business?

With TSMC expanding 5nm production in Arizona. It really makes me wonder if a TSMC factory in the US is any different in terms of its benefit (in this case to the US, asside from jobs) than a TSMC fab in Taiwan (where the Fab is based).

What happens when the US enacts something like the Defense Production Act on a US located chip fabrication facility that is a Taiwanese or a South Korean owned business?

With TSMC expanding 5nm production in Arizona. It really makes me wonder if a TSMC factory in the US is any different in terms of its benefit (in this case to the US, asside from jobs) than a TSMC fab in Taiwan (where the Fab is based).
Older process more durability for cars.

One of the neighbors loves his volt, and another is so so on his first gen leaf. I figure the leader of
EV is Tesla, so if I’m going to jump in, it should be with the leader. Plenty of time to make a decision - the transmission on a Ford doesn’t self destruct until year 14, so I’ve got some time off I need it :D

I mean if there are options just get a taycan

Don't think so either. Looks to be more of an audit to see what options we have and what's "on tap".

It's nothing more than virtue signaling. The executive order is to do a review of what's happening for 100 days, then another even longer review after that. No real action, just pure virtue signaling, just wasting time and money.

Mine won't. No way in hell I would consider buying an electric car after the crap that just went on here in Texas.
That's just not thinking about the situation critically. Get a bi directional charger, a 100kwh car, and use the car for power for the house when the power is out. While you're at it, throw some solar panels on the roof and a small battery backup beyond the car. You'll pull in at least a few KWh, even on a dismally cloudy day, and with around 120-140kwh worth of battery you'll make it around 10 days without power and without significant sunlinght.

Lots of Leafs where I am only 2 chargers in town though and we’re in the ass end of nowhere. So range anxiety be dammed I suppose.

Earlier this month, GM's chief executive said the shortage could take $2bn (£1.4bn) off its profits.

Ford and others said it had affected production of cars and lorries.

Using lorries​

Taiwan, one of the world's biggest producers of chips, had promised to help the US, Germany and Japan by speeding up manufacture.

But now it faces restrictions on the amount of water that can be used.

And several Taiwanese chip companies, including TSMC and United Microelectronics, have said they will have to start using lorries to supply water.

TSMC said it needed 156,000 tonnes of water per day, even though it reuses more than 85% of it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-56198269?__twitter_impression=true

Not for the consumer but it opens up the possibility of getting access to US military contracts which are still done mainly by Texas Instruments.

Lots of Leafs where I am only 2 chargers in town though and we’re in the ass end of nowhere. So range anxiety be dammed I suppose.
Just get an RV hookup (14-50 outlet), you will be able to charge plenty fast at home, and never hitting a gas station will ruin you quickly. But range anxiety is real, it took me a couple of years to get comfortable and realize that even 300 miles is more than I need in a day.

Just get an RV hookup (14-50 outlet), you will be able to charge plenty fast at home, and never hitting a gas station will ruin you quickly. But range anxiety is real, it took me a couple of years to get comfortable and realize that even 300 miles is more than I need in a day.
The average house out here was built in the late 40’s after the war. Not many have outside outlets. But most people, myself included drive under 15km(9.3mi) a day. Most people here manage less than 150km (93205mi) the course of a decade. Buddy of mine who works at the Toyota dealership a few towns over says we’re a gold mine for cheap student cars.

It's nothing more than virtue signaling. The executive order is to do a review of what's happening for 100 days, then another even longer review after that. No real action, just pure virtue signaling, just wasting time and money.
You are 100% correct. I was trying to be nice. I think we all know these people who "run" the country are full of shit.

Do people even buy new cars? Seems like a giant waste of money to me.
In some cases its cheaper to purchase a new car than a used one right now. The used car market is ridiculous.

For instance, I was looking at a 2021 Ford Ranger the other day, which you can purchase for a little under 30K (depending on the package). All of the used Rangers in my area that were 2020 & 2019 models had 60+ thousand miles on them and the dealers wanted 28K or more. In this case, its a no brainer to get a new one.

In some cases its cheaper to purchase a new car than a used one right now. The used car market is ridiculous.

For instance, I was looking at a 2021 Ford Ranger the other day, which you can purchase for a little under 30K (depending on the package). All of the used Rangers in my area that were 2020 & 2019 models had 60+ thousand miles on them and the dealers wanted 28K or more. In this case, its a no brainer to get a new one.

Which part of the country are you from? I got my corolla for $1900, and there seems to be a lot of good cars in the $2000 - $5000 range here in NH. I dont buy trucks though (other people can, and ill use theirs :D), 2016 tacomas seem to go for around 20 - 25K with low miles and good options.

Yeah, that happened to my mom. She had a car for a few years, and the dealership was making so much on the used cars that it was cheaper for her to trade it in and get a new car (same model but latest year).

I lucked out managed to snag a new RAV4 before the shit hit the fan.
Just in time for lockdowns to get announced. Had it 2 years now and she’s maybe got 8k KM on her.

Last edited:
Which part of the country are you from? I got my corolla for $1900, and there seems to be a lot of good cars in the $2000 - $5000 range here in NH. I dont buy trucks though (other people can, and ill use theirs :D), 2016 tacomas seem to go for around 20 - 25K with low miles and good options.
Texas. Corolla's are a good car, looks like you got a deal.

I was just reading this today:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/...-has-started-arizona-chip-factory-2021-06-01/

Do people even buy new cars? Seems like a giant waste of money to me.

Honest question, is it weird that i refuse to purchase a car that doesnt have a cable throttle? Drive by wire is a sin IMO, youre just driving an emulator.
I guess as long as you're driving a carbureted vehicle. If you are using fuel injection you are basically just driving an emulator.

I guess protected sex isn’t sex because there’s no skin to mucous membrane contact? Get real man.

Its certainly not the same.

I guess as long as you're driving a carbureted vehicle. If you are using fuel injection you are basically just driving an emulator.

I like that, and agree. I do prefer hydraulic clutch to cables though, I always snap cable clutches (cries in foxbody mustang)

It's when your throttle is physically connected to your foot and not the internet.

Thats actually not correct.

Ever driven a car that has 'boost by gear"? Or a car that thinks brake vectoring is somehow a replacment for a real LSD?

I have an idea, let's make a line of cars that don't need so many high tech chips... the old fashioned way. This addresses the shortage and it helps the poor people who need to pay an arm and a leg to deal with electrical issues they can't fix themselves. Fixing older cars used to be achievable via yourself, a friend, or uncle Bob the mechanic. I just fix my own stuff whenever possible.

I have an idea, let's make a line of cars that don't need so many high tech chips... the old fashioned way. This addresses the shortage and it helps the poor people who need to pay an arm and a leg to deal with electrical issues they can't fix themselves. Fixing older cars used to be achievable via yourself, a friend, or uncle Bob the mechanic. I just fix my own stuff whenever possible.
Screw that. I want my car to be an appliance, like a toaster. I don’t want to move backwards to less efficient and less reliable just to use fewer electronics. I look forward to getting an electric car so I don’t have to dick with oil, transmissions, and so on

I think you've had a bit much. Throttle cables connect your foot to the go juice. thats what they do.

Right, but they dont:

"It's when your throttle is physically connected to your foot and not the internet."

Your throttle body is physically connected via cable to your gas pedal, you dont need to calibrate the pedal to know 0% through 100%, and you can prove that youre getting 100% throttle because its physically happening. Not sure if you dont understand how the internet works or not, but it has nothing to do with throttle management, unless your tuner is remote.

TIL people on tech forums are just as sensitive about cars as people on car forums :D

Right, but they dont:

"It's when your throttle is physically connected to your foot and not the internet."

Your throttle body is physically connected via cable to your gas pedal, you dont need to calibrate the pedal to know 0% through 100%, and you can prove that youre getting 100% throttle because its physically happening. Not sure if you dont understand how the internet works or not, but it has nothing to do with throttle management, unless your tuner is remote.

TIL people on tech forums are just as sensitive about cars as people on car forums :D
Mostly joking, but when you press your foot on a cable connected pedal, I consider that physically connected. The "connected to the internet" bit was an over exaggeration and comparison to how all of the things nowadays are internet connected. Sorry if that went over your head. ;)

Gonna echo Endgame here. The fantasy is that ditching electronics-heavy car design will make cars cheaper to run and more accessible to the less fortunate; the reality is that most people can't have extensive knowledge of car repair, and that the "old fashioned way" often led to cars that were more likely to break down in the first place, increasing costs and leading to downtime that some people can't realistically afford.

This isn't a tacit approval of attempts to make certain repairs proprietary or gate them behind highly specialized equipment. But I'm enthusiastic about EVs in part because they move away from the old, unreliable analog realm. Maintenance for EVs usually comes down to tires, wiper fluid and the eventual worn-out battery; it's fascinating that we just 'accept' combustion engine cars will have alternators, timing belts and other components which fail so often you're expected to set aside a fair chunk of money for repairs each year.

Gonna echo Endgame here. The fantasy is that ditching electronics-heavy car design will make cars cheaper to run and more accessible to the less fortunate; the reality is that most people can't have extensive knowledge of car repair, and that the "old fashioned way" often led to cars that were more likely to break down in the first place, increasing costs and leading to downtime that some people can't realistically afford.

This isn't a tacit approval of attempts to make certain repairs proprietary or gate them behind highly specialized equipment. But I'm enthusiastic about EVs in part because they move away from the old, unreliable analog realm. Maintenance for EVs usually comes down to tires, wiper fluid and the eventual worn-out battery; it's fascinating that we just 'accept' combustion engine cars will have alternators, timing belts and other components which fail so often you're expected to set aside a fair chunk of money for repairs each year.
That is the issue. It might alleviate the chip shortage in relation to production delays, but all of the things electronics does in a vehicle that used to be done with relays, wires, and linkages, still needs done. These things will all cost more. So you end up with a more complex, less reliable, and more expensive vehicle. The magic of digital electronics is that you can do a lot with a tiny chip on a pcb, for considerably less money than the larger, more expensive, old school ways.

Now if we wanted a car with a spray bottle windshield washer, hand cranked wiper, windows that dont open, no power locks (or maybe no locks at all), and a two stroke engine, that could be cheaper..... No one wants that. Except maybe people in rural third world, they might buy it. It would be better than a donkey.

Back