TSMC Receives 7nm and 5nm AI Chip Orders for 2019 as Smartphone Sales Decelerate

cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to a Digitimes report, TSMC has received new orders for the production of 7nm and 5nm AI chips in 2019. AI chips are expected to lead the demand for TSMC's sub-10nm chip capabilities over smartphone SoC's as smartphone manufacturers take a wait and see approach to phone sales.

As handset SoC suppliers have been encountering deceleration in the smartphone market and falling product ASPs, they have been cautious about advanced chip development and are taking a more rigorous R&D expense control prior to the arrival of 5G, the sources indicated. On the other hand, demand for AI chip solutions is looking to boom for emerging applications such as data centers, smart cities and connected health, as well as niche-market applications including autonomous driving, big data analytics, robotics, and FinTech.

We're right in the teeth of the end of silicon scaling now boyyyyys! 40+ years of faster and cheaper consumer gizmos every year coming to a close. It'll slow even more of a crawl then it is now and then stop altogether and post silicon technologies are what, a decade out? Brave new world of same old same old.

Phones are kinda stagnant
Only improvements to me are camera mainly.

When funky tech gets into more phones I'll have a renewed interest.
Like those chinese phones with the pop out cameras and under screen fingerprint readers

We're right in the teeth of the end of silicon scaling now boyyyyys! 40+ years of faster and cheaper consumer gizmos every year coming to a close. It'll slow even more of a crawl then it is now and then stop altogether and post silicon technologies are what, a decade out? Brave new world of same old same old.
Yes no more faster stuff. No, things should get cheaper (or remain the same) as more manufacturers reach parity and everyone starts making basically the same thing with a few differentiating features.

I would love to see another walk through of a FAB. I know kyle got to do one years ago..

always interesting stuff to see it in action

I would really like an Open Source Phone.... Beefy hardware is so pointless with the sheer amount of bloat most phones come bundled with.

Back