TSMC Approves 3.5 Billion Dollar Arizona Foundry

erek

[H]F Junkie
"TSMC plans to open a new 3.5 billion dollar foundry in Arizona with a new wholly-owned US subsidiary. The new foundry will begin construction in 2021 with an expected completion date of 2024. The new facility will target production volumes of 20,000 wafers per month with 5 nm production being the main priority. TSMC will be joining Intel who also produces chips in Arizona enabling them to tap into this well-established supply chain. TSMC plans to employ 1,600 staff at the facility which will be their most advanced facility outside of Taiwan. The new foundry will likely be popular with US customers and military applications requiring more secure facilities."

https://www.techpowerup.com/274581/tsmc-approves-3-5-billion-dollar-arizona-foundry

who profits / ed from the Foxconn scam? just curious

Mostly Foxconn. There's been a lot of speculation about who may or may not have gotten kickbacks from it, but never anything solid. I can tell you who was royally fucked over by the scam though....

who profits / ed from the Foxconn scam? just curious

I don't know anything about what Foxconn did, but I imagine that a politician approved some sort of huge tax break or grant for Foxconn to build a factory and Foxconn took the money and ran.

So basically people who profit are the politicians that were paid by Foxconn and Foxconn themselves.

I don't know anything about what Foxconn did, but I imagine that a politician approved some sort of huge tax break or grant for Foxconn to build a factory and Foxconn took the money and ran.

So basically people who profit are the politicians that were paid by Foxconn and Foxconn themselves.
dang

Politicians.....thats who profited by the foxcon scam... and of course the execs at fc....

they all should be strung upside down by their toenails, tarred & feathered, and left to rot/picked apart by the buzzards in the desert sun :(

On a lighter note, Yeehaw, go TSMC ! :)

I still say they should be called "The Smartest Mfgr'ing Company"

Politicians.....thats who profited by the foxcon scam... and of course the execs at fc....

they all should be strung upside down by their toenails, tarred & feathered, and left to rot/picked apart by the buzzards in the desert sun :(

On a lighter note, Yeehaw, go TSMC ! :)

I still say they should be called "The Smartest Mfgr'ing Company"
They should but those that were involved will probably get reelected too.

Last edited:

It say's on the WIKI page that the state government denied the subsidies.

So did anyone lose?

This is great news, with Intel struggling as a foundry I think it has been a legitimate concern not having domestic advanced silicon fab capability.

From what I can tell they were compensated for their loss over actual value in fact.

You act like they had a choice. They were forced to either take the money or fight and get their land taken anyway via eminent domain. "They were paid well" doesn't change that they were forced to give up their homes in order for land to be given to a private company.

Reactions: Axman
like this
You act like they had a choice. They were forced to either take the money or fight and get their land taken anyway via eminent domain. "They were paid well" doesn't change that they were forced to give up their homes in order for land to be given to a private company.
Beats getting nothing.

Now they can afford bigger houses and even more land.

Beats getting nothing.

Now they can afford bigger houses and even more land.
No they cant nessesarily ...i live here and there is almost no housing inventory available. land is available but it is expensive and pushing farther out into the desert and new builds are +1 year wait. Massive influx of people from blue states so the property seized would probably have ended up being more value than they were given.

New chip-packaging facility could save TSMC’s Arizona fab from “paperweight” status​

Apple will be "first and largest customer" at new $2 billion packaging facility.​

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ve-tsmcs-arizona-fab-from-paperweight-status/

Late last year, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company would definitely be buying chips made at Taiwan Semiconductor's new Arizona-based fab once it had opened. Apple working with TSMC isn't new; most, if not all, of the processors currently sold in Apple's products are made on one of TSMC's many manufacturing nodes. But being able to buy them from a US-based facility would be a first.

The issue, as outlined by some TSMC employees speaking to The Information in September, is that the Arizona facility would manufacture chips, but it wouldn't be building a facility to handle packaging. And without packaging, the Arizona factory would essentially be a "paperweight," requiring any chips made there to be shipped to Taiwan for assembly before they could be put in any products.

Today Apple announced that it had solved that particular problem, partnering with a company called Amkor to handle chip packaging in Arizona. Amkor says that it will invest $2 billion to build the facility, which will "employ approximately 2,000 people" and "is targeted to be ready for production within the next two to three years." Apple says that it has already worked with Amkor on chip packaging for "more than a decade."

"Amkor worked closely with Apple on the strategic vision and initial manufacturing capability of the Peoria facility, which will package and test chips produced for Apple at the nearby TSMC fab," the company said in a statement. "When the new facility opens, Apple will be its first and largest customer."

Both TSMC and Amkor will likely benefit from billions in government subsidies provided by the CHIPS Act, which authorized up to $200 billion in subsidies to chipmaking companies that want to build US facilities. Little of the money has actually been distributed as of this writing, but TSMC, Intel, and many other smaller companies have applied for funding, and Amkor says that it has as well.

That TSMC facility here in AZ is huge, it‘s amazing how fast they built it. Looks like it’s in operation judging by all the cars in the parking lots. They just need to make the traffic signals change quicker when driving by the area.

Last edited:
That TSMC facility here in AZ is huge, it‘s amazing how fast they built it. Looks like it’s in operation judging by all the cars in the parking lots. They just need to make the traffic signals change quicker when driving by the area.
Where is it? I used to live down the street from the Intel facility in Chandler, so I'm curious where the TSMC factory ended up.

It is located at I-17 and the Loop 303. (north Phoenix)

Last edited:
Back