TSMC Approves 3.5 Billion Dollar Arizona Foundry

erek

Supreme [H]ardness
"TSMC plans to open a new 3.5 billion dollar foundry in Arizona with a new wholly-owned US subsidiary. The new foundry will begin construction in 2021 with an expected completion date of 2024. The new facility will target production volumes of 20,000 wafers per month with 5 nm production being the main priority. TSMC will be joining Intel who also produces chips in Arizona enabling them to tap into this well-established supply chain. TSMC plans to employ 1,600 staff at the facility which will be their most advanced facility outside of Taiwan. The new foundry will likely be popular with US customers and military applications requiring more secure facilities."

https://www.techpowerup.com/274581/tsmc-approves-3-5-billion-dollar-arizona-foundry

Derangel

Fully [H]
who profits / ed from the Foxconn scam? just curious

Mostly Foxconn. There's been a lot of speculation about who may or may not have gotten kickbacks from it, but never anything solid. I can tell you who was royally fucked over by the scam though....

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
who profits / ed from the Foxconn scam? just curious

I don't know anything about what Foxconn did, but I imagine that a politician approved some sort of huge tax break or grant for Foxconn to build a factory and Foxconn took the money and ran.

So basically people who profit are the politicians that were paid by Foxconn and Foxconn themselves.

erek

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't know anything about what Foxconn did, but I imagine that a politician approved some sort of huge tax break or grant for Foxconn to build a factory and Foxconn took the money and ran.

So basically people who profit are the politicians that were paid by Foxconn and Foxconn themselves.
dang

bonehead123

[H]ard|Gawd
Politicians.....thats who profited by the foxcon scam... and of course the execs at fc....

they all should be strung upside down by their toenails, tarred & feathered, and left to rot/picked apart by the buzzards in the desert sun :(

On a lighter note, Yeehaw, go TSMC ! :)

I still say they should be called "The Smartest Mfgr'ing Company"

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
Politicians.....thats who profited by the foxcon scam... and of course the execs at fc....

they all should be strung upside down by their toenails, tarred & feathered, and left to rot/picked apart by the buzzards in the desert sun :(

On a lighter note, Yeehaw, go TSMC ! :)

I still say they should be called "The Smartest Mfgr'ing Company"
They should but those that were involved will probably get reelected too.

Last edited:

Master_shake_

[H]F Junkie

It say's on the WIKI page that the state government denied the subsidies.

So did anyone lose?

sphinx99

Gawd
This is great news, with Intel struggling as a foundry I think it has been a legitimate concern not having domestic advanced silicon fab capability.

Derangel

Fully [H]
From what I can tell they were compensated for their loss over actual value in fact.

You act like they had a choice. They were forced to either take the money or fight and get their land taken anyway via eminent domain. "They were paid well" doesn't change that they were forced to give up their homes in order for land to be given to a private company.

Reactions: Axman
like this

Master_shake_

[H]F Junkie
You act like they had a choice. They were forced to either take the money or fight and get their land taken anyway via eminent domain. "They were paid well" doesn't change that they were forced to give up their homes in order for land to be given to a private company.
Beats getting nothing.

Now they can afford bigger houses and even more land.

GreenLaser

n00b
Beats getting nothing.

Now they can afford bigger houses and even more land.
No they cant nessesarily ...i live here and there is almost no housing inventory available. land is available but it is expensive and pushing farther out into the desert and new builds are +1 year wait. Massive influx of people from blue states so the property seized would probably have ended up being more value than they were given.