Trying WoW, epic fail at applying patches

MassConfusion

Limp Gawd
So here is the thing. I finally got World of Warcraft, the BattleChest to be specific, and I have made an account already on Battle.net. Now the thing is I have installed the first disc, tried logging on, and the game said it downloaded the updates, but that I needed to restart the game to apply the patch, so I click restart, and the game restarts. The installer window pops up and it says it is checking the internet for the speed.

Now the here is where I have failed for the 6th TIME.:mad: The installer pops up an error message saying that it cant retrieve information from the internet. I have turned off all of the firewalls and add an open port, and the so called repair function in the program files can't even connect with the server, or so it says.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!! Please...HELLLLLPPP!!!!!

So here is the thing. I finally got World of Warcraft, the BattleChest to be specific, and I have made an account already on Battle.net. Now the thing is I have installed the first disc, tried logging on, and the game said it downloaded the updates, but that I needed to restart the game to apply the patch, so I click restart, and the game restarts. The installer window pops up and it says it is checking the internet for the speed.

Now the here is where I have failed for the 6th TIME.:mad: The installer pops up an error message saying that it cant retrieve information from the internet. I have turned off all of the firewalls and add an open port, and the so called repair function in the program files can't even connect with the server, or so it says.

Leonard Nimoy has hacked your computer for making such a ridiculous purchase and will fix it once you start playing STO.

I would try the tech support forums over at the official WoW forums. They should have a list of which ports to open, or possibly a link to alternate download sites for the patch.

Now the here is where I have failed for the 6th TIME.:mad: The installer pops up an error message saying that it cant retrieve information from the internet.

You need to forward the following ports on your router:

TCP port 1119 and 3724 to play
UDP port 3724 for in game Voice chat
TCP ports 6112 and the range 6881-6999 for the Blizzard Downloader, which downloads patches.

After you done that, go to your account management and download the latest game installer from there. It will be faster than patching up the game from 1.0.0 to 3.3.2.
Run the launcher.exe to finalize patches.

Leonard Nimoy has hacked your computer for making such a ridiculous purchase and will fix it once you start playing STO.

I don't think Leonard Nimoy, or his character Spock, would be capable of such blatant maliciousness.

FYI, I don't think this will fix your issue, but you should install every expansion disc before you start logging in. Otherwise you'll be patching things that are already versioned into the expansions which is pointless.

Now the thing is I have installed the first disc, tried logging on, and the game said it downloaded the updates, but that I needed to restart the game to apply the patch, so I click restart, and the game restarts. The installer window pops up and it says it is checking the internet for the speed.

First disc meaning plain vanilla WoW? Or first disc out of the 3/4 CDs that the original WoW consisted of? You should install vanilla WoW and then install BC afterwards and patch THAT with one of those big series of patches/updates you can get off Fileplanet or whatever. Or just go grab WOTLK while you're at it, install just from that DVD (it's one install now) and patch it. It's going to force you to download/patch for WOTLK anyway since all the character graphics/data is needed.

Either way, grabbing the patch files first in a collection to install rather then waiting for Blizzards torrents is quicker in the long run.

I don't even use my WoW discs to install anymore. You can just use "installwow.exe" I did that my last two times and it worked perfectly.

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/wo...king/pc/world-of-warcraft-full-install-client

ya well i dotn use an intaller at all anymore, I just back up my wow folder to one of my other drives lol.

I prefer the cd method, quicker than downloading the whole game. Mind you I also keep a back up of the manual patches as well incase for whatever reason I need to re-install instead of using the back up.

Guild wars FTMFW. You can be up and playing from scratch in no time. Best client evar. Didnt mean to thread crap, just saying that I feel the OP's pain. I hated how long it took to install/update.

Actually, to be on the safe side. Do not install the downloader off of a 3rd party site.
Go to worldofwarcraft.com and log into your account. Somewhere, on your account page is an option to download the universal installer. Download it for the lich king. It shouldn't take that long if you have a decent connection. Once this is done, you will need to download a few patches at the most but you should be good to go.

Well I think I have figured out the problem. I need to uninstall McAfee in order to apply the patches, but I don't know how to uninstall it. There are no given options to uninstall and the computer won't let me delete the stupid thing. Any ideas anyone?

P.S.: thanks for all the info. it will help in the future.

Back