Trying to use pre-wired house ethernet for home internet

Linkngiht

n00b
In my house almost every wall outlet has a cat5e port which are almost all currently connected to a phone line. After looking through the wire box where home wiring is set up, it seems, at least to me, possible to fix it so that some of the cat5e ports in the house will deliver network access through a router than a phone. I have some ideas of how to do this, but since the cat5 cables are not crimped at the ends, I have fear that all the cutting, crimping, and rewiring would be done for nothing if I do it wrong (and I'm not even 100% sure my house is even set up for this)

I took some pretty detailed pictures of the inside of the wire box where everything is conncted. Everything seems to be connected to two phone hubs that are patched together. I think the top box is for the upstairs, and the bottom is for the downstairs.

I know the "home run" cable is of importance from some researching I did earlier, and I found that the home run cable is the one plugged into the top hub on the very left (and you can see the writing on some of the pictures)

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

What I thought was the way to do this was to cut the home run line, crimp the cut end of the part going into the hub, and plug that into a router/switch and then remove and crimp the remaining lines in the hub corresponding to the rooms that I want to have internet access and plug them into the router/switch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated because the other alternative is buying a wireless N dual-band router (wireless g isn't going as fast as our broadband is), and those aren't cheap!

You would be best off getting a 12 port 110 wall mount patch panel and a 110 punch down tool and re-terminating the cables you want there. Then on the other end get some keystone 110-style cat5e jacks and keystone wall-plates and terminate them. It is very easy to do if you get some quality parts. I'd recommend checking out what Leviton has to offer. They make some pretty decent equipment. In fact they are the only brand of jacks & patch panels that we use at work.

Yeah, either get a patch panel to fit that box, or just put plugs on the end of the wires and plug into a switch. For a small application I think it would be fine.

So if I do this without a patch panel would I put a plug on the end of the home run cable as well as the cables for the rooms I want and put them into a router?

If by home run cable you mean the cable that supplies dialtone to the phone board, you won't need it for the LAN. I think you are confusing how voice and data cabling are laid out.
In basic phone wiring, the same phone line is connected to each of the jacks. In data, each cable connects to a switch, then to a router, then to your cable/DSL modem.

Back